Good news - ERIC DOLPHY "Out To Lunch" lives! 45 RPM Music Matters upcoming release!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joe Harley, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I thought the same thing of my 1980s DMM pressing - until I heard it on Music Matters 45. OMG!!!

2. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

How'd ya hear it so quickly? Us mere mortals have to wait for boxes to arrive from Acoustic Sounds.

3. JMCIII

Well, first off, I'm a subscriber to Music Matters. So I get every issue released. But since Out To Lunch isn't released yet I was blessed with a test pressing. So that's why I say - YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!

4. Blumenkohl

Blumenkohl Member

So you're saying you heard both MM's OTL and Sidewinder as test pressings? Lucky dog...

5. JMCIII

Yes on OTL. No on The Sidewinder (because Muisc Matters isn't doing it). They are, however, doing Search For A New Land (another of my favorite Lee Morgan's LPs) that I have heard. You'll love that one too, but it's no OTL sonically. That one is magical.

6. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

So if there's a test pressing of OTL done, I suppose that means it's coming soon?

7. JMCIII

Judging from the Music Matters website, Out To Lunch is now scheduled for June. Good news for us all!!!

8. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi John,

Yes that's the schedule. The jackets for OTL are being made right now. Ron tells me they look amazing!

You (lucky dog) already know how it sounds. Soon everyone else will as well!

cheers:cheers:

Joe

9. JMCIII

Well, you should know Joe, you're the one who let me in on just how GREAT it sounds. I'll bet both this thread and the big Music Matters one go nuts when OTL hits folks turntables. I'm still groovin' on that TP. :love:

10. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Got my copy today. This thing sounds FANTASTIC!

11. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

sorry to bump such an old thread but was wondering if anyone else has this title and what their thoughts on it are

12. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

anybody??

13. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Love it. Better than the HDTracks.

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Are you freakin' kidding? It's ESSENTIAL.

BUY IT WHILE YOU CAN.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  15. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

A this title has been unavailable for such a long time, I suggest Analogue Prod made a nice 33rpm reissue of this title like they've been doing with their Prestige series. So many people like me never got never got the chance to hear this masterpiece in optimal conditions!

16. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

wonderful sound. and awesome for testing your system

Never say never.... but i wont sell it anytime

17. action pact

Wow, I was able to get mine from Elusive Sound less than a year ago, but now it appears to be sold out all over.

18. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I got one of the last ones from Elusive Discs a few years back.
    I'm terrified to play it, I'm afraid that something is going to happen to it since it's so precious.

19. action pact

That's a bad feeling!

But I know what you mean... I only have a few of those fancy double-45 jazz record due to the high cost, and I'm always extra careful whenever I handle them.

20. Icewater

Icewater New Member

Listened to this for the first time (bought a second hand copy)

so great - all I can say is I hope there's a high quality digital archive of these tapes to forever capture the recording

21. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I believe that hdtracks has got that covered.

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Is there a newer, better CD version of this than either my 1987 or the Dolphy prestige box set?

23. Icewater

Icewater New Member

The hdtracks version appears to be based on a 2012 Alan Yoshida remaster. If you read the original post - Steve Hoffman Et Al found a rare tape for the 2009 Music Matters version. I guess the question is whether or not Alan Yoshida used that 2009 tape?

24. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

That's a very good question. I'd ask hdtracks; it'd be interesting to hear their response.

Icewater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.