Good news - ERIC DOLPHY "Out To Lunch" lives! 45 RPM Music Matters upcoming release!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joe Harley, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Why, I'd buy that for a dollar!

2. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Certainly great news though. OtL is one album that I would love to hear with a Hoffman mastering.

Yes. The titles involving these two, Larry Young, Joe Henderson, Tony Williams, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, etc...should all be of primary concern given the amount of standard hard bop that has already been reissued. Still, enough titles to keep me as a subscriber but it confounds me why mid to late 60s era Blue Note is ignored so much by reissue companies. I don't think this music is inaccessible to most. Some selected works by Cecil Taylor, Pharoah Sanders or Ayler, perhaps, but not this music.

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

4. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident

Sign me up for a copy... no wait, 2 copies!

5. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Excellent story and great news - thanks for sharing it. Being mostly a rock guy myself, I chose this title to be my introduction to the Blue Note world and have been eager to see it released since I placed my pre-order many months ago. After hearing it's sure to sound fantastic, I'm even more eager to see it arrive at my door!

6. Solaris

You may be in for quite a shock if you aren't that familiar with jazz. Might I suggest you start with something a little less....progressive? I mean, I'm all for being adventurous, but this is a challenging record.

7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

That's precisely why I settled upon this one. Being a fan of prog rock and Frank Zappa, challenging is fine by me. :) And it helps that Tony Williams is on it - I really dig his fusion work.

8. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Man Oh Man! Great News on the Dolphy! Stellar!! Please, if it be your will, some Granchan Moncur III; "Evolution" & "Some Other Stuff" as well as Andrew Hill; "Black Fire", "Point Of Departure" & "Judgement". This would make my decade!

9. Solaris

Oh yes, then, you sound like you're ready! :agree:

10. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

WOW!!!! Joe, this is seriously the best news I've heard yet. A great (GREAT!!!) pick. I'm so glad it worked out.

11. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member Thread Starter

You and me both, John!

It's a funny thing....when you put a tape up you kind of know instantly whether you've got something special or not. "Hat and Beard" could not have been on more than 10 seconds when Ron and I looked at each other and just started howling! Then, it was just a matter of making sure that the rest of the tape was OK and without hidden problems. The tape was perfect.

We'll get this one out there as soon as we can and see how it does. We would love to delve into this era of Blue Note a bit deeper!

cheers,

Joe

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

This is great news!!

13. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

Very cool news! I have to admit, I listened to the RVG CD shortly after hearing that the tapes weren't usable and, at the time, couldn't get into the album. And I'm a big BN fan!

Looks like I'll have to give this one another spin....

14. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Great news. Love the progressive Blue Note sound. How about the two Anthony Williams disks, and Ornette live?

15. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

Call me dense, but I guess this means the master tape was found?

16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Fabulous news! I've lost track of the reissue programs underway - is this one of the ones that will come out on SACD? Please let it be so...

17. Voltron

Voltron Member

Please, and pretty please Joe! :agree:

18. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

If you have a turntable, I highly recommend the King in the interim, until the 45 is out. That record is flat out amazing, it can easily carry an audiophile pedigree for the sonics on that record. I can't even imagine how this is going to sound once Steve and Kevin are done with....my bet, other worldly. :agree:

19. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I love it when I click on the music section and there is news like this at the top :D:D:D

20. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Haha. Oh man, are you in for it. This magnificent record still jars me today and would be just about my last choice for a first jazz record (although I'm one to talk - my first was Coltrane's Ascension!! [generally regarded as his most difficult album]). When I played it for the first time I thought it was the worst music I'd ever heard. Now I'm sure it's some of the best. But late at night it gives me the willies.

This is the greatest tape-related news of the year. Helplessly hoping that this sees some kind of CD release since the 45 is out of my price range. To say that existing digital releases leave much to be desired would be like saying the Dead Sea is salty.

21. JasonK

JasonK Active Member

I'm not surprised. This is an album that is challenging even to an experienced ear. But make no mistake-It's an audiophiles dream if you have the right set-up. Sounds seem to come from nowhere, splatter about, and then disappear. This album does not swing, and the few times that it does it almost mocks itself. What distinguishes this album from many if not most of the later Avant Garde releases was its sense of purpose. Dolphy clearly knew exactly what he was doing with every overblown note and whole tone scale. The arrangements are impossibly difficult, and obviously written out. The bass work is absolutely mind blowing. My understanding is that some of the cuts required 17 takes to get a track that made the album. This is not house cleaning music, or music you put on at a party-unless you want guests to leave! It is shocking, stunning, and unquestionably the work of a genius whose understanding of music transcended basic harmony and melody-and moved it into a whole new level. I have listened to a number of other avant jazz albums, but none (that I have heard) equals the sheer shock, awe, and beauty of this masterpiece.

I can't WAIT to get the 45 RPM version on my turntable!

22. swoosh

swoosh Member

Hopefully they would release this on cd or sacd for the cd only crowd. This is too important a piece to just be catering to the vinyl lovers imo.

23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Sure would be nice to see this one ship in February :D

24. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

In that case, I'll probably buy two copies.

25. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

This is very exciting. This is one of my favourite albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.