Gentle Giant remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnG, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zurge

zurge Forum Resident

"Free Hand" Sound Quality

Gary:

Here is a link regarding sound quality for different versions of "Free Hand":

http://www.blazemonger.com/GG/quality.html#FREE HAND

2. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Frankly, Octopus doesn't need to be remastered. The version on the German label Line is one of the best sounding CDs I've ever heard. The Si-Wan issue and the Universal Japan mini lp CD are essentially the exact same and also great.

And I don't trust the 35ths and have avoided them. I've read too much complaining about them being too loud from people who aren't even audiophiles. Glad you dig the _In A Glass House_ 35th but I like that old Terrapin version and the Alucard version is superb. I just do not trust the 35th to beat either of those.

3. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I just got my copy of the 35th anniversary of "Interview" edition and it sounds pretty good to me, just like the others from this series that I already have. The channel problem seems to be solved - I can hear both of them clearly.
    I also got "Octopus" (the Si-Wan pressing) yesterday (you know from whom, Jeff :) ) and I agree with Jeff. This recording doesn't need any remastering. It's fine just like that.

Achim

4. The Kid

The Kid Active Member

Umm...no offense here, but this guy is (at least in part) recommending pressings he hasn't even heard!

Dan's Opinion:
    I like the LINE and Vertigo USA discs equally. The Nippon disc is probably the best, though I have not heard it.

(in reference to sound quality of Acquiring The Taste]

Now I don't know about you, but in this case I take "findings" such as these with at least two pounds/one kilo of salt... :rolleyes:

5. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

The only beef I've had with them over the years is careless shipping (ie. cracked/broken jewel cases). In fact, the packet I received from them on Wed. marks the first time ever that the contents were in perfect condition. Perhaps they've finally gotten the message.

6. Dobby

Dobby Member

I have the Line version of Three Friends, and that sounds muddy and veiled to me. I haven't heard the Line version of Octopus - I have the Columbia version and it isn't too bad. However, the audiophile in me would not be at all surprised to hear improvements upon remastering. In my experience, newer CDs tend to sound way better than CDs from say the 80s and early 90s, and remasters tend to sound better than older CDs (e.g. The Police and Rush remasters). I don't know why that is, I am not in the business - I only listen - maybe they are using better equipment or techniques now.

Jeff, have you heard the 35th edition of Glass House? Yes, it is a louder CD than the Terrapin, but I don't mean it is compresssed (if that is what you meant by "too loud"). Overall volume levels vary a lot from CD to CD, so I don't see that as a problem. Anyway, the sound quality is significantly improved - fuller, richer and clearer, more alive etc. etc.

7. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Just picked up the 35th's of Free Hand & The Power and The Glory.

They are louder but not unreasonably so, they have great clarity. The FH is sooooo much improved over the One Way Records version. :righton:

8. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Agreed, I don't detect any compression at all, and the increas in loudness is not very large. The improvement in the sound is IMO huge even compared to the Alucard (which I thought was excellent. The 35th anniversary edition sounds much richer, fuller, more detailed - it really comes alive. I've dound that to be true for all of the 35th anniversary cd's I've gotten. Powere and the Glory and Free Hand are also favorites. While I think that the current version of Octopus is pretty good, these sound much better (IMO), and I wish it were being remastered as well.

9. jblock

jblock Senior Member

They'll send you new ones free of charge. There's a link on their customer service page I think.

Jonathan

10. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I've never received a damaged item from them, and the shipping is remarakbly fast. I normally receive stuff within 2-3 days of ordering.

11. Jeff Carney

It's hard to know where to start with this but I'd suggest a lot of research here and make sure to read Steve's interviews.

Have you "level matched" the 35th and the Alucard? Sometimes, with new, louder mastering, one might get the impression it sounds better at lower volumes, but try to pump it up and really rock out and chances are it will end up sounding like garbage if they have suffocated the signal.

As far as Octopus: The Line issue, the Japan mini lp, and the Si-Wan are all flat transfers and sound *in*freakingcredible*! So warm and never harsh. The Vertigo UK CD was EQd and though it opened up the highs a bit, the drums sound harsh and it just doesn't have the same warmth. I don't have the Columbia but it's probably great. And I suspect the Repertoire would be a nice, flat transfer as well, but I've never heard it.

I only have the Columbia _Three Friends_ and it sounds okay.

Anyway, I'll try the 35th of In A Glass House but I don't agree that newer CDs tend to sound better than older CDs. In fact, I'd say that it's sometimes the opposite, unfortunately. And from what I've read about the 35th from people at progressiveears.com, I highly doubt I will like them because even people who aren't audiophile geeks like me are complaining. But I will listen and I assure you that all I care about is sound and will give one of the 35ths a try and be totally fair about it!

12. Dobby

Dobby Member

Yes, I did adjust the playback level to match and compare with the Terrapin Trucking version. However, that was just for fun. I didn't really need to go back and listen to the Terrapin version as the improvement in the 35th anniversary version was apparent to me from the get go.

Re: newer CDs that sound good - I'm not sure of your music preferences, but I recommend any of Bill Frisell's recent discs (e.g. "Unspeakable" or "The Intercontinentals") - great music and great sound.

13. OliverB

OliverB Forum Resident

I have a couple of questions...

First of all, Repertoire Records is releasing a new remaster of "Acquiring The Taste" in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if it will be worth ordering over the domestic Sony/Mercury release?

Second, does the Alucard UK "In A Glass House" sound better than the new 35th Ann?

Finally, do the 35th Ann. of "Glass House", "Free Hand", etc. feature the original artwork underneath those ugly looking giant head logo covers which I'm hoping are just cardboard slips?

Or are those solid grey, blue, red, etc. covers with the giant heads the ACTUAL cover art?

I'd really appreciate any help with this, thanks!

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Can't comment on the comparisons between old and new versions.

The original front cover artwork does appear underneath those goofy slipcovers.

15. OliverB

OliverB Forum Resident

Thanks, that's good to know!

The 35th Ann. seem to be getting some good reviews so I think I'll take my chances considering this.

Only one question concerning packaging though, this was taken from someone's review of the "In A Glass House" 35th remaster at Amazon...

In addition to this DRT reissue, Alucard Music also sells a wonderfully packaged reissue of IaGH that faithfully recreates the awesome original artwork of the vinyl release (note: another reviewer's comment, "The packaging is likewise excellent, recreating the original LP cover effectively, with the 3-D effect intact," could apply to the Alucard version, but not to this DRT reissue).

I don't get it... original cover art or not? He seems to be implying that the new DRT release doesn't faithfully reproduce the artwork?

I just want to be sure of this.

Thanks again!

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The booklet for "In a Glass House" is unusual. The front (and Back) cover are a translucent black plastic material with a clear rectangle on the front. Within this rectangle are pictures (more like negatives) of the band members. Behind this, on page three are more "negative" pictures printed on normal white paper. When the images overlap it does have a semi 3d look.

Hope this description makes sense. Note sure how authentic this booklet is but I like it.

17. OliverB

OliverB Forum Resident

Thanks Blair, that's on the DRT remaster?

"In A Glass House" is the only album Im unsure of... it would be great if someone could post their opinions of the new DRT in contrast to the Alucard UK release...

18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Yes

19. Jeff Carney

I've read some reports at progressiveears.com that the Alucard beats the new DRT, which has been accused of being way too hot. And these are reports from people who are (presumably) non-audiophile types.

I have the Alucard and think it is very, very nice.

As far as the DRT, well... proceed with caution.

20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

It's the first time I have to disagree with Jeff 100% - IMHO Alucard is one of the brightest pieces of crap I ever heard. But then again I never heard the album before so maybe it was recorded that way - GLASSY you know. Almost killed my interest in Gentle Giant. :hurl:

21. Jeff Carney

I think that's the way the album sounds. I suspect the Alucard is a flat transfer. If you want a warm sounding Giant album get _Three Friends_ or _Octopus_.

22. Dobby

Dobby Member

Well, I am admittedly an audiophile and the DRTs I've heard sound great.

Jeff, have you bought the DRT version of Glass House yet (you mentioned you would)? While I value your opinion, it doesn't seem that you have much of a factual basis from which to provide meaningful comment on the DRTs. Also, if a CD sounds hot to you, it may be because of your JVC HR-XVC1U, which I understand to be a VCR/DVD combo unit. You may want to upgrade your source. Please don't take offence, that is my opinion, I am not trying to aggravate you.

23. Jeff Carney

I actually have a couple of CD players (guess I should update my profile one of these days) but I fail to see how a CD that is cut hot would not sound hot in certain players and sound hot in others?

Why don't you upload a sample of your DRT and I'll give my opinion, okay? If you can't can someone please do so? I haven't had time to pick this new one up yet. I have the Alucard and the old Terrapin Trucking CD which both sound good to me. One problem is that my main interest in Giant is the first four albums so I haven't been too concerned about comparing the DRTs to other CDs, given the albums DRT has issued.

24. Dobby

Dobby Member

This may be getting off-topic (feel free to PM me if you like), but in short I have found that many a CD that I thought sounded harsh (e.g. too forward, piercing highs, etc.) sounded much better after a system upgrade. One example that comes to mind is Mike Oldfield's Amarok, where there are fast loud sound bursts that rather violently jump out at you when you least expect them...these sounded harsh on my old player (Sonic Frontiers Anthem) but not so on my CEC CD player (the sound bursts are still abrupt as they should be, but the highs no longer jump out 10 feet and smack you in the head - way more controlled). So, it isn't necessarily the disc, and I suspect that some complaints about headache inducing highs may be equipment problems.

I agree with you on the first four GGs - Glass House and Power and the Glory are the only others I care for. I didn't realise until recently that a lot of fans consider Free Hand GG's best. I remember buying that years ago when I was really into GG, and boy was I disappointed - I sold it to a friend :D.

25. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

In that case, keep right away from Interview! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.