Gentle Giant Remasters (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Jewelcase.

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

****!:realmad:

Anyway, this endorsement of yours gives hope for the new SHM CDs that Universal Japan is pushing - 7 Van Morrison titles, 11 Cure titles and entire Bjork catalogue are to be released on SHM mini-vinyls in March!:goodie:

3. Andyyyy

Andyyyy Forum Resident

Eroc,

Because you have heard the master tapes, I think you can answer this. In terms of audio quality alone, would it be beneficial to release the GG material to a hi-res format, either SACD or DVD-A?

4. Jeff Carney

The SHM titles appear not to be remastered, so you're going to get whatever they have been using before or whatever has been in print.

In the case of Octopus, we are lucky, because the release they defaulted to was a great sounding mastering.

But what you'll likely get on these should be pretty simple; IE:

Rainbow - The Suha Gur remastering
    Free - The Peter Mew remastering

etc.

At least this is how I would suspect it will work.

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, I'll compare The Cure's debut which I have on remaster with the new mini, all right?

6. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

You shouldn't ask this a 16-bit despiser like me. The answer will always be the same: I hate 16 bits because it sounds so much worse than 24 bits, which in fact also sounds somehow artificial compared to a pro recorded analog tape.

Hi res is absolutely necessary for audiophile sound. If I work here on 24 bits and sample up from 384 kHz to 768 kHz it's really audible, even for a normal customer sitting in my studio. To go down to 16/44.1 after that is really disappointing then.

So in case of GG the only answer can be: YES...

- Eroc

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Does that Japan mini-lp of Octopus released about 7 years ago have the same mastering as the Line?

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Lucky I always keep EAC log files, even for CDs I don't own anymore. :) So, for information, here are the levels from the one I had, which was labelled as a "remaster" on amazon. It was the 2001 Octopus from Japan, maybe Jeff or someone else can compare them with the Line.

Track 1

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Bureau\01. Gentle Giant - Octopus - The Advent of Panurge.wav

Peak level 79.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy OK

Track 2

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Bureau\02. Gentle Giant - Octopus - Raconteur Troubadour.wav

Peak level 66.3 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy OK

Track 3

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Bureau\03. Gentle Giant - Octopus - A Cry for Everyone.wav

Peak level 81.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy OK

Track 4

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Bureau\04. Gentle Giant - Octopus - Knots.wav

Peak level 76.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy OK

Track 5

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Bureau\05. Gentle Giant - Octopus - The Boys in the Band.wav

Peak level 78.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy OK

Track 6

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Bureau\06. Gentle Giant - Octopus - Dog's Life.wav

Peak level 54.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy OK

Track 7

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Bureau\07. Gentle Giant - Octopus - Think of Me with Kindness.wav

Peak level 60.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy OK

Track 8

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Bureau\08. Gentle Giant - Octopus - River.wav

Peak level 76.4 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Copy OK

No errors occurred

End of status report

9. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

It has the same peak levels as the Line version I have. Very interesting.

10. Jeff Carney

I've been telling everyone for at least two years that it is the same mastering.

The Si-Wan is also the same.

I also suspect earlier Japanese releases would be.

11. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

If anyone would send me the CDs in doubt I could check them on a pro basis and tell you absolut exactly 100% what's the matter. Unfortunately I don't have them here...

12. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Ok. After I found the Line and RGOF editions I kind of checked out and haven’t paid to much attention to the Gentle Giant discussions.

13. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

In response to Dok expressing frustration about the wrong Octopus being reissued, Eroc replied:

Eroc, this was last Wednesday; did you speak with them again? The basic questions I (and I assume others) want the answers to:

1. What now then will happen with the "fixed" Octopus you're sitting on, in light of this non-fixed version just coming out? Realistically, I can't imagine them re-pressing this again for another year at least. Very disappointing, and probably for you as well, having done the work correcting it only to have it not get used!

2. Is Three Friends definitely your new version? I'm still a little wary that this got pressed so quickly when you just submitted the master during Christmas week. Given Repertoire's track record, I don't think my "wariness" is surprising...

...and finally:

3. What is the status of the "fixed" Acquiring, before they go reissuing the wrong version of that as they are doing with Octopus?

Thanks for any update!

14. Andyyyy

Andyyyy Forum Resident

I live for the day you do this...:winkgrin:

15. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

Doesn't depend on me, depends only on the record industry. I live for the day somebody of them calls me up and offers me this job. But I'm pretty sure in this case it won't be Repertoire... :shake:

- Eroc

16. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Question 1 :
    my Cd version of GG Octopus is : Vertigo - 842694-2 - LC 1633 - Made in Germany. it sounds good to me... what is the expert verdict on this version ?

Question 2 :
    If ill buy the SHM version of Octopus, what other benefit dose it carry beside sound quality ? i mean in term of the packaging quality.

would love to get your reviews.

17. I have this German CD (my only CD version) and I humbly think it is excellent, even when compared with the original UK swirl Vertigo LP. In fact, for some strange reason, I find "Dog's Life" to be much better (clearer, wider soundstage) on the CD! I admit my LP is far from mint, but not at all one of those poorly tracked copies we so often see these days.

18. I have just took notice that this German CD is mastered by Gert Van Hoeyen. On searching his name a bit here, I see that his work on Octopus is somewhat criticized. Could someone give me a bit of insight as to what he did here that's less than desirable? What should I look for in my next Octopus CD hunt/purchase?
    As you may see in my previous post, I have never heard any other CD version and have only compared it with a 2nd hand original LP.

Last minute correction: I once bought the expensive Japanese mini-LP cover one and resold it almost right away: there was no life to it!!

19. Jeff Carney

Then keep the Vertigo.

The Japanese mini is the same as the Line CD. I prefer this mastering and it was lilely a flat transfer done by Universal for Line back in 1989. I suspect the Japanese got the same to work with.

Gert Van Hoyen just jacked up the Vertigo with EQ. It's somewhat interesting if a bit bright on certain instruments (strings, for example), but listen to what it does to the sound of drums at the expense of the added "life." :thumbsdn:

20. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Jeff,
    can you please comment on the quality of the packaging ?

21. Jeff Carney

10/10

22. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

Nothing new so far. I heard no further news from REP concerning Octopus and Acquiring. They promised me to get things underway somehow with the new masters, but so far - nothing. The correct masters are still waiting for green light to be sent to the pressing plant.

"Three Friends" will be definitely my remastering. I sent it to SONY Salzburg for pressing early in January.

- Eroc

23. indelibo

indelibo Forum Resident

My preordered Three Friends just started shipping today, can't wait to hear your work!

24. indelibo

indelibo Forum Resident

I got my hands on the new Three Friends. The packaging is excellent as expected. The sound is marvelous! Fun and energetic, clear and detailed, with no discernible glitches. If you liked what Eroc did with the Octopus and AtT, you will not be disappointed with this one. :righton:

25. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Great to hear! I've preordered two copies from different sources. Still waiting!

- Dok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.