Genesis Remix v. Orignal Clip...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

Jamie:

We get it - you don't like the remixes.

[​IMG]

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

World Of Genesis, we get it, you like EVERYTHING that Genesis does, even when they ruin perfectly good recordings!
    [​IMG]

3. World of Genesis

Actually, you would be totally wrong. There are recordings Genesis has done that I do not love at all. If you took a moment to read my reviews of each album (located on my site), you would see that. In fact, I have critical comments on almost all of the albums.

Of course, these are general reviews with no A/B comparisons against the original Target Discs, and I did not include images of sound files, so they may not be of interest to you. :)

Dave

4. I didn't find this thread before. It was fun to hear that sample.

5. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Thanks Jamie. I picked up the boxset 76-80 because I got it from Importcd's for $14. I listened to about 2 minutes of TOTT. It was painful. I figured for $14 it was worth it for some of the DVD footage. I love Genesis, I'll stick with my vinyl copies to listen to on my good system. :cheers:

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I'm just curious, do you have a theory on why they didn't make the albums sound like this back in the late 70s and early 80s? It's not like they needed today's technology to squash the music, they could have done it back then with the original mix and mastering.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Isn't it because of todays playback systems, abundence of cheap mini speakers, etc?

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

Heavily compressed mixes are just the fashion of the day.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Too bad I'm not a dedicated follower of fashion.

:D

10. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I just saw it as well. Incredibly bad, Jamie! ;)

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not really; I am an audiophile and I enjoy my box set. Point? Oh hang on, it's subjective....

12. peteham

peteham Senior Member

You mean the definition of "audiophile" is subjective...

13. World of Genesis

au·di·o·phile
    n. A person having an ardent interest in stereo or high-fidelity sound reproduction.

Peteham - I would say that Brother Rael's definition of "Audiophile" is not subjective... at least according to the dictionary.

Dave

14. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

I think that sums up this thread.[​IMG]

15. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

That's funny because back then I heard the most music on a transistor radio that was actually comparable to cheap mini speakers.

16. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Precisely. I'm sure I would welcome these as alternate ways of hearing the albums if the harsh EQ and compression wasn't so amateurishly used. Admittedly the Raw Power remix is near impossible to listen to as well, and I can't say the decision made on that remix was really any better than the ones made here.

By all means it is the realization of what could have been and the ultimate disappointment that these CDs, IMO, sound worse than any of the many CDs and vinyl copies of these albums I've heard. There just simply isn't a good reason for that to have happened.

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And Jamie has backed up his reasons for why he doesn't like them. I think Mr. Davis did a terrible job with the remixes. And I politely yet honestly stated so at the Genesis forum. Talk a bout a backlash reflected on me, not to mention blind worship towards someone who is probably a nice guy but did some terrible work.

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

No, I mean that the enjoyment of this, or any other boxset, is subjective and relevant only to the listener in question, or to a group of others who hold a similar opinion.

My point in quoting the earlier poster's comment was to merely present a counterpoint; someone who doesn't claim to be an audiophile who doesn't enjoy the boxes being presented - apparently - as some kind of proof positive about said items ("hey, it must be true!") against someone who is an audiophile and enjoys his boxset.

In other words, "it proves what, exactly...?". Exactly.

19. World of Genesis

Of course, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think the "backlash" you probably got on the Genesis forum is nothing in comparison to the verbal berrating people who like the Genesis boxes get in this forum. I don't recall the specific thread on the Genesis list, but if you have a link, I'd be curious to read the comments.

I will agree that the discs are louder - no question (as are just about all CDs they are released now) and they definitely are not carbon copies of the originals - they are remixed - which is clearly marked on the packaging. If you cringe at the thought of them not being exactly as you remember or you shudder at the thought of the albums being louder, then you may not like them. That being said, I have found very few places (aside from here) where people have been disappointed with the boxes.

More importantly, its not like you had to return your older pressings to buy these new remixed versions. As many have said before, if you don't like them, its not like the original mixes haven't been on CD for 20-25 years.... just play them instead.

Over all, yes, I liked them. Are there one or two I don't care for as much as the original version? Sure. But if I want to revisit those older versions, I can. As can you. Overall, I think they sound fantastic, and its not like the band had no say in these titles. In fact, tell me how many other bands have put the same level of effort into their reissues? Where are those Beatles remasters, for example? Do you think McCa will throw on bootleg video and get George Martin or anyone else to remix the entire studio catalog in 5.1? Doubtful. How many rock reissues are even getting SACD treatment these days?

We all beg to differ, and that's totally fine. I'll listen to my boxes and you put yours on eBay. Consider the horse beaten and burried.

Dave

20. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Mike Rutherford has said himself that he didn't get too involved with the mixing/mastering of these and left that all to Tony Banks. I was of the impression the same went for Phil.

For me, it's what you say that's most disappointing. You're right - it's amazing that Genesis would have a project like this greenlighted -- 5.1 mixes, tons of bonuses, etc. And while I understand you like the discs - and you're welcome to do so - it's the missed opportunity that pains me. If only it was what it *could* have been.

21. missedexit

missedexit New Member

Ah, hated the remix of 'Raw Power', to my ears, they ruined the sound of the original, even with the drop-outs, it still sounded amazing. I'm still trying to track down an original pressing, as that's what my ears are used too! The only cd/5.1 off the 3rd box that I think is amazing is "The Lamb!" To me, it's worth the box!

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:confused:

Why are you lashing out at Jamie? I don't see where Jaimie has posted in any recent time prior to your post.

23. peteham

peteham Senior Member

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.