Genesis Remix v. Orignal Clip...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raf

Raf Senior Member

To me the problem with the EQ on the remixes can be stated simply: It sounds like something someone did on his computer at home.

2. claypool

claypool New Member

I agree with you completely, these remixes are really bad but still there are people who like these. There was awhile ago some talk about these SACDs in a Finnish "Hi-Fi" magazine's forum. A guy who writes album reviews to that magazine thought the SACDs sounded great and far better than the earlier CDs. People's listening preferences, even with a good equipment, vary so much that I doubt there'll ever be a remaster which will be disliked (or liked) by everyone :)

3. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

Maybe this guy's speakers are facing the wrong way. I don't know, but it does show me that anybody can write reviews for Hi-Fi magazines.

Peoples listening preferences do vary, yes, but I personally value my ears too much to subject them to these SACDs for any extended period of time. I don't understand how so many people can listen to these things without feeling the pain. :confused:

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Always be leery of hi fi mags. Bad reviews = no free stuff.;)

5. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

I think you got it. :agree:

6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I don't know about that, and stereoptic can chime in if he/she heard it somewhere else, but there's a Groucho Marx line (in "Day at the Races," I think) when he's hugging a woman:
    She: "Hold me closer! Closer!"
    Groucho: "If I hold you any closer, I'll be in back of you!"

Doug

7. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

I've always remembered Genesis music being a little treble-heavy. The last thing I expected was for the remixes to raise the top end. And the mix compression - aye carumba!!

I approached these remixes with an open mind and a lot of confidence since Nick Davis has always impressed me. And I think the remixes could've been spectacular given the time, tapes, equipment, and blessings he's had. But my ears don't lie - I knew without any bias right away that what I was hearing was not appealing. :sigh:

8. claypool

claypool New Member

Maybe so, that's why I don't read Hi-Fi mags usually, at least the album reviews :) It's better to read those album reviews here, where people actually listen to those albums ;)

Some may just prefer the format. They might think the SACD will always sound better than the CD because the format is better and be happy with it without wanting to make any listening comparisons.

I don't understand either why anyone wants to listen to these, especially when there are better options relatively easily available. Then again, I don't understand why anyone prefers for example Elton John, Moody Blues or Can SACDs over the early CD versions :)

9. claypool

claypool New Member

I haven't :) The early European LPs and CDs are far from treble heavy. Maybe the U.S. pressings were different in that matter then.

10. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

I think that's true.

What they did was put this fancy box together, stamped SACD on it, promoted the hell out of it, made a big to-do about it as if it were the event of a lifetime for Genesis fans, & on top of that followed it with a tour. Heavy marketing won over a lot of people's opinons I think. If this had just been another remaster (albeit remixes) released on regular stereo CD to little fanfare, everybody would probably hate them. I think a lot of people just got caught up in the hype, especially the hype of having Genesis on SACD. Some probably would of still liked them as regular cd's but I'm guessing not nearly as many.

11. turniton1181

Hmm...it bears mentioning that I'm 25 and have been brought up on those Definitive Edition CD's. Though from a few searches here I know they're far from definitive. How much does a Diament TOTT go for these days? :)

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

I see them all the time. They aren't valued by most people (except for us :) ) so they don't go for much.

Most people sold them off for the DE discs and now people will probably be selling the DEs for the remixes. Schmucks! :laugh:

13. turniton1181

:D

Attached Files:

14. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

If I see any extra ones, I'll pick them up for members who want them. Still waiting on the V/C of this one. I think this might be a "tad" better. We'll see.:)

15. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

One of the few breaks we get for doing our homework! :righton:

16. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Is this a Diament TOTT? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=220119961891&rd=1&rd=1

I just bought it. It was probably more expensive because it was a Japanese import, but I really don't care. Like many, I sold all my original Genesis cd's when the DE's came out. I've been buying them back over the last couple of months. I've also bought all the Classic Records Genesis - so far the best sounding versions I've heard.

17. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

18. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I think the price was probably inflated because it was a Japanese import. I really didn't care, I wanted it. Now all I need is a pre-DE of Selling England (my favorite Genesis), and I'll have all the pre-DE Genesis I need (everything through Trick - I would've also gotten W&W, but I've read here that the DE is the best cd version).

19. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I sent you a PM on the Atlantic Selling England. I have an extra copy, if you'd like it.

20. Exactly. I originally thought the VDGG Remasters quite impressive but since being educated I now hear what many here were referring to when they were released. Exactly the same can be said about this latest batch of Genesis recordings. They are awful. It is purely speculation on my part but I think that Genesis are trying attract a new generation of fans in the hope of kick starting their career. Today's pimply faced teenagers like their 'music' to sound like this, so I wouldn't be surprised if they succeed!

21. If anyone can help I'm wanting to buy an Atco TOTT and a pre DE (Atlantic) 'Selling England...'

22. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

23. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

:crazy: :unhunh:

24. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

As much as it goes against my nature, I've had to take another look at the settings in the original post. I'm working on a mix and this is what the customer wants, so now I find myself recreating these settings.

As the witch in Wizard of Oz said, "What a world, what a world."

25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Try eBay. I just landed copies of each over the last week or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.