Genesis - early CD versions thread (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Elk, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

The version that we do NOT know about is this one:

Version 2?
    [hat] - V/C Blue Face : 91.3% - 88.4% - 45.7% - 94.5% (only 4 tracks provided)
    [HiFi] - V/C, German Blue Face : 91.3% - 88.4% - 45.7% - 94.5% - 98.4% - 95.8% - 95.8% - 84.3% - 85.4% - 80.7% - 90.7% - 92.3%
    [Geoff] – Charisma 814 270-2, West German (Yellow Rays) : 91.3% - 88.4% - 45.7% - 94.5% - 98.4% - 95.8% - 95.8% - 84.3% - 85.4% - 80.7% - 90.7% - 92.3%
    NOTE: this version has not yet been checked against the others to see whether it is a unique mastering or a level-shifted clone.

So, we know that Versions 1 and 3 are distinct from each other, we don't yet know if Version 2 is related to 1 or 3. I assume you do not have Ver. 2 so someone would need to post a clip for you.

2. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Black Elk,

Sounds like they may have had the benefit of original tapes. ?

Atlantic just gave me an EQ'd limited copy to work from (as they did more often than not).
    I can assure you no filtering was applied by me.

Shortly after I left Atlantic and was working directly with Genesis on re-mastering their catalog (none of which to my knowledge, have ever seen the light of day), I got to hear what the originals sounded like on most of their albums. I know first hand that Hugh Padgham's mixes, like the ones he did for Phil Collins, sounded much better than what was left on the EQ'd limited tapes. ("Abacab" was quite wonderful.)

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Smartin62 likes this.
  3. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

So, is the Black Triangle the best version? :D

What are the main differences between the version 1 (UK VC) and version 2 (Germany VC) regarding sound presentation?

:righton:

4. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

This thread is listing the different Versions found (and EAC logs) for the discs rather than discussing 'The Best'.

For that you need to wade through the first 3 Threads listed in this post:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3104946&postcount=1

good luck :)

5. SergioRZ

Which one is this one (details below)?

Cat.no. on disc is CASCD 1074 0777 7 86363 2 8
    The full matrix is 786363 2 @ 1 -1-2 NL
    CD and booklet say manufactured in Holland

Seems to be Holland made version, should it have the same mastering as the original Nimbus CD?

6. SergioRZ

Can anyone help me determine what mastering is used on this CD version of Selling England By The Pound? :righton:

7. Black Elk

No data on an Uden, NL pressing of Selling England has been presented. Based on all the other data gathered so far, an Uden pressing will likely match a Nimbus version.

8. SergioRZ

Ok, thanks for the help. If I'm able to buy this one I mentioned I will confirm the EAC values and post them here :righton:

9. I have a JONJO 740027C - JMCS 4- release on cassette, of GENESIS 'from genesis to revelation" from 1990, columbia music club of Canada. I had my Canadian 1st press on London converted to digital for a long while, so I'm familiar with the pitch and phase of the channels. The tape has opposite channels. The speed is off on the cassette also.
    Is this an error on Jonjo's part, or was it a correction of original ideal? I read that a few members wanted the Music to sound DRY originally, but they pushed towards the progressive spacey phasey sound of the day for appeal.
    One very annoying aspect of JONJO cassette, is with many transient peaks, especially percussive string hits, you get MASSIVE pumping! wow..almost the worst I have heard on a cassette released retail, unless damaged by magnetic interference. I know it's the tape, as i have found 2 identical the last year. I read Steve released this on DCC the same year as this cassette, anyone know the source material?

10. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I have just acquired an old V/C Wind and Wuthering which is a Holland pressing:

CDSCD 4005

1-1-1-NL on matrix

I used to own the Nimbus W&W, and it had orange text on the front and back of the case - this one is green, which is interesting. I think it's a later pressing, I guess.

Will post EAC logs if any use to anyone.

11. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I just got this one and the EAC logs match the Nimbus pressing.

12. LivingForever

Just got a Sonopress "Made in West Germany" Nursery Cryme too.

Has anyone done any A/B ing on this one with a Nimbus?

13. LivingForever

Just got hold of a V/C 'Made in France by PDM' Duke.

Will post EAC values since none have been listed so far!

14. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Yes please :thumbsup:

15. LivingForever

Well, ok, I did an EAC rip and it matched the Nimbus and EMI Swindon readings - maybe this could be added to this list at the start of the thread?

16. Black Elk

The Forum software does not allow users to edit old posts, so your additions will be included in the third version of this thread, which, I guess, I had better start putting together. So, anyone with more data to add please post it here.

17. LivingForever

Ahhhh, makes sense! Thanks BE.

Okay, I now have data for my French Duke CD...

Genesis - Duke
    Virgin / Charisma CBRCD101
    Made in France by MPO
    Matrix: MPO 5

CD disc has same font and text as standard V/C Duke but in blue lettering rather than the usual black.

Peak Values: 100% / 100% / 73.6% / 100% / 100% / 100% / 100% / 100% / 100% / 99.3% / 100% / 100%

I haven't actually played it yet so can't comment on channels, etc.

James

18. LivingForever

Interesting - this doesn't seem to match anything else at all. (Unless I'm being dense...?!)

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My Abacab Vertigo 800 044-2 Red Swirl "Made In France by PDO" matches the Target mastering.

20. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I've found a used copy of a Nursery Crime CD in a record store

Virgin/Charisma CASCD 1052
    No barcode
    No country of origin
    Matrix: CASCD 1052 / B-2305 A

I'm tempted to buy it but I already have the nimbus pressing. Does anyone know if it matches the nimbus pressing? My guess is both share the same mastering. However, as I seemed to read somewhere in this thread, another CD with similar matrix info had pre-emphasis (My CD player cannot decode pre-emphasis)

Thanks!

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It should be the same as the Nimbus as it is a V/C. To my knowledge, there only was one mastering of this title by V/C. And it has not pre-emphasis. :shrug:

22. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Merci, Thomas :)

I'll probably buy it anyway. I can offer it to a forum member really cheap (I think it costs about 5€)

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

De nada, Manuel. ;)

Yes you should do that, you'll certainly make someone happy. :)

24. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

My copy of FGTR has a nice booklet of 12 pages (in the last one there is an image of the original Decca release, with the dark cover, the paper sleeve (? is this correct?, my English is not very good) that says 'MONO MONO MONO..' along all the border, and the vinyl with the red stamp (sorry, I don't know the correct word) on it.
    It has the tittle: 'From Genesis to Revelation ...the first album'
    The logo says 'Music Club', but under that it says Music Collection International 36-38 Caxton Way, Watford, Herfordshire WD1 8UF (P) 1993 Music Collection Int (C) 1993 Music Collection Int, Issued under licence from Jonjo Music Co. Ltd.

On the CD (printed) the ref is MCCD 133, and it is stated 'Manufactured in the EEC'
    On the back of the CD it can be read: 10256691 01, and opposite to it: MAYKING RECORDS MCCD133

EAC testing gives:
    Track 1
    Filename 01 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - Where The Sour Turns To Sweet.wav

Peak level 70.7 %
    Track quality 99.8 %
    Test CRC CDB294F6
    Copy OK

Track 2
    Filename 02 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - In The Beginning.wav

Peak level 94.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 43646736
    Copy OK

Track 3
    Filename 03 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - Fireside Song.wav

Peak level 74.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 8277863E
    Copy OK

Track 4
    Filename 04 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - The Serpent.wav

Peak level 92.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 4C69C253
    Copy OK

Track 5
    Filename 05 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - Am I Very Wrong .wav

Peak level 77.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC FBE4D2BA
    Copy OK

Track 6
    Filename 06 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - In The Wilderness.wav

Peak level 93.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 591BE242
    Copy OK

Track 7
    Filename 07 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - The Conqueror.wav

Peak level 90.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC E9355127
    Copy OK

Track 8
    Filename 08 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - In Hiding.wav

Peak level 85.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 0CD1272B
    Copy OK

Track 9
    Filename 09 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - One Day.wav

Peak level 85.7 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 5C46EEF0
    Copy OK

Track 10
    Filename 10 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - Window.wav

Peak level 68.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC D3F26228
    Copy OK

Track 11
    Filename 11 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - In Limbo.wav

Peak level 94.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 56A7F6B2
    Copy OK

Track 12
    Filename 12 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - Silent Sun.wav

Peak level 88.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC B76FCF73
    Copy OK

Track 13
    Filename 13 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - A Place To Call My Own.wav

Peak level 53.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC C3002721
    Copy OK

Track 14
    Filename 14 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - A Winter's Tale.wav

Peak level 74.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC AED3EB38
    Copy OK

Track 15
    Filename 15 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - One Eyed Hound.wav

Peak level 92.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 0A2B6B4E
    Copy OK

Track 16
    Filename 16 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - That's Me.wav

Peak level 94.1 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 3F46E6EF
    Copy OK

Track 17
    Filename 17 Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation ... ... the first album (Music Club version) - The Silent Sun (mono single version).wav

Peak level 91.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 4D47BA63
    Copy OK

I could post a sample tomorrow if there is any interest on it

25. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Just got a copy of Nursery Cryme that might add to the info on this one:

Re-EQ'd copy of Version 1
    [PaulT] - V/C, UK: 100.0% - 53.6% - 100.0% - 100.0% - 95.5% - 50.8% - 100.0%
    NOTE: The absolute phase is inverted on this relative to Version 1.

My copy says Manufactured by Sonopress in Western Germany around the inner ring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.