Genesis - early CD versions thread (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Elk, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I don't think so. I think the way bit depth works is that if you go from 16 bit to 15 bit, that's a 50% reduction in dynamic range. (Digital, doubles every time you add a bit.) So even a recording that maxes out at 50% peak level still can have 15 bits of resolution. That's the way I understand it anyway. ??

... It might depend on how that normalization occurs. If it's only level shifted, bam 16 to 15 bits resolution. But if it's scaled, then that could change the actual dynamic range of the recording.

2. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Anybody have thoughts on these?

They both sound very good to me but are a brighter than a recent German "Mad Hatter" vinyl press I grabbed.

3. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

They sound fine to me. Strange they aren't exactly the same, yet almost.

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

As it is unclear when we'll have enough information to justify a Version 3 of this thread, here's an update on the above.

Two Forum members who wish to remain nameless, but who I will refer to as PaulT and Raf :D, have provided and analyzed samples of the 28VD and VJD Japanese pressings. Here are Raf's comments on his findings:

First, the 28VD. Yes, it is identical to the Version 1 mastering.

Now, the VJD. This one syncs with the 28VD and almost cancels out with the 28VD if the level is increased by 0.9 dB, but the music can still be heard very faintly. I think this means the EQ is very slightly different.

So, we continue to find minor variations on minor variations!

PaulT: if you are reading, can you confirm the position of the track start for Broadway Melody? I forgot to ask you that in our PMs.

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Can anyone provide me with the catalog number of the US abacab definitive edition cd?

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Isn't there a Swindon too? How does it match up?

7. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm not PaulT, but I confirm that the VJD does in fact have the track start for Broadway Melody immediately after the lyrics of Fly on a Windshield.

8. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

I am PaulT and will also confirm the same :)

9. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

A copy of Lamb with this in the inner hub "#901214a cd-401/2 mfg by cinram" is probably a Canadian Atco with the fixed indexing, right?

10. Black Elk

A Cinram disc is definitely a Canadian copy, but I don't think we've seen enough data to make guarantees about the track start positions. You could try contacting member jv66 to see what the matrix info is on his copy.

11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Help! Maybe I just can't see it but tonight I picked up a copy of Duke, made in West Germany, and the only catalogue number I can find is CBRCD 101. It sounds mighty fine, easily besting the '94 remaster. I haven't compared it to the Diament version. Still, it intrigues me. Thoughts? It's dated
    1983 Virgin Records Ltd. 1984 Charisma Records Ltd. Made by Sonopress.

12. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

great thread! wow! thanks for all the hard work!

klockwerk likes this.
  13. chiagerald

Dunno if this helps with anything, but here's my EAC report of "AND THE WORD WAS..."

Label: London
    Serial No: 820 496-2
    Matrix: 820 496-2 01
    The disc appears to be pressed in Korea (on the disc it states "Made by SKC in Korea")
    Also, the year on the disc states 1987 instead of 1988 as established on the earlier posts (on the disc it states "1987 The Decca Record Co. Ltd. London)

Track 1) The Silent Sun (84.8 %)
    Track 2) That's Me.wav (78.1 %)
    Track 3) Where the Sour Turns to Sweet (70.5 %)
    Track 4) In the Beginning (87.4 %)
    Track 5) Fireside Song (70.2 %)
    Track 6) The Serpent (92.5 %)
    Track 7) Am I very Wrong (71.8 %)
    Track 8) In the Wilderness (84.4 %)
    Track 9) The Conqueror (96.5 %)
    Track 10) In Hiding (93.0 %)
    Track 11) One Day (94.2 %)
    Track 12) Window (68.3 %)
    Track 13) In Limbo (92.6 %)
    Track 14) Silent Sun (86.5 %)
    Track 15) A Place to Call My Own (48.6 %)
    Track 16) A Winter's Tale.wav (76.4 %)
    Track 17) One-Eyed Hound (79.6 %)

14. chiagerald

Mine reads 82693-2 (Matrix: 3 82693-2 SRC**01)

15. Black Elk

Oops! I'm a little bit late responding to this, but, yes, this helps a lot as it is the data we needed for what should be Version 1 of FGTR -- I screwed up the entry on page 1, and should have had:

Ver. 1
    no data

Ver. 2
    DCC

etc.

I'll add your data in the next revision.

16. Black Elk

Forum member ketchup has started a wiki site for mastering differences, see: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=162510

Would there be any objections to letting him make use of this data for a Genesis entry?

I am not sure who would have access to editing the wiki pages, but it is not something that I will have the time for, though I will continue to periodically update this thread as time and new information allow. I, for one, certainly do not have the time to go through all the sound-quality discussion threads again to try to distill them down for the wiki pages, but if anyone wants to volunteer for that task I suggest they contact ketchup directly.

If there are no objections in the next few days, I will point ketchup to this thread and give him permission to use the data as he sees fit.

17. Black Elk

18. Jeff Carney

19. Raf

Raf Senior Member

20. Black Elk

But do you still prefer the Atlantic? I think this V/C version is much better, but I seem to be in the minority about that. The Atlantic has had all the 'air' filtered out of it.

21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

There's a bit more in that other thread about the cuing/editing anomaly that used to be unique to the London CD and has now reappeared in the new Varese CD.

22. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I have the UK V/C of this(the same) and I think it's quite a bit better than the Atlantic as well as the early West German blue-face V/C, personally. Not that the Atlantic version is bad at all, but this seems more open, and has the correct channel orientation.:)

At this point, I can say that the best versions(IMHO) of everything from Trespass to Invisible Touch are the later V/C pressings from Europe(and whatever masterings match them), aside from Live, which I like the Sanyo Japan V/C with the unique mastering.

23. Jeff Carney

It's been a while since I compared.

Didn't Raf determine that for Duke the V/C and Atlantic cancel out after some level minor level adjustments in each channel?

24. Black Elk

You mean all these versions aren't permanently etched in your brain? I'm shocked!! :D

Only a French version and a PDO UK version that you have/had. Your Sonopress version seems to be definitely different, and there have not been comparisons done between what you now have or the Atlantic and the early (blue face, etc) West German discs. So, we have either 2 or 3 distinct versions at this time.

25. Raf

Raf Senior Member

All I can confirm right now is that the Sonopress does not sync with the Atlantic. Is there something else I should be comparing it to? My mind's a blank. My brain hurts.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.