GAIA 3’s question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AndyCC72, Apr 25, 2024.

1. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the Gaia 3’s on my Spendor D7.2’s at the moment but am picking up new speakers on Saturday that weigh 37kg, the weight limit for the 3’s is 30kg.

The Hifi fund is beyond depleted due to a few recent expensive purchases so I won’t be weighing out for the Gaia 2’s anytime soon.

Do you think fitting the 3’s to the new overweight speakers will have a positive effect or will the additional weight cancel out any benefits? And has anyone used speakers heavier than the recommended weights with their Gaia’s and if so to what effect?

2. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Try emailing Isoacoustics. I reached out to them once for something and they were quick to reply.

I wouldn't imagine the added weight would do anything negative but I do think they wouldn't be as effective or even effective at all.

jonwoody and AndyCC72 like this.
  3. AndyCC72

That’s what I’m concerned about. I have a suspended wood floor and the GAIA’s made a big difference.

I’ll put the 3’s up for sale and then have to put a few quid extra towards the 2’s

aorecords likes this.
  4. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

What's the rubber they're made of called? I forget. Maybe you an DIY something.

I have a concrete floor and they made a big difference for me too.

5. AndyCC72

DIY is not one of my stronger points

aorecords likes this.
  6. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Me either.

7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

No specific knowledge of the Gaia's but typically the way compliant isolation footers work is that at their rated load they're able to convert movement to heat and dissipate it, but above they're rated load they no longer decouple but basically become compressed and more couple than decouple.

AndyCC72 likes this.
  8. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

The D7.2 weigh 21.2 kg? 47 lb.
    https://spendoraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/Spendor-D-Line-Product-Data-Sheets_D7.2_2023.pdf

GAIA III
    Maximum weight 70lbs (32kg) per set of 4

btw, nice speakers

Anyway these types of isolators follow a curve
    As weight increases to max performance increases and peaks (likely a little above max) then it decreases, imo if you were actually 37/32 ~ 15% over I think you would still be fine and close to optimum.

AndyCC72 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  9. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I spoke to IsoAcoustics at a hifi show a few years ago. They said the Gaia III's were OK for my speakers, but because my speakers are supported by three feet and not four, that I would need the Gaia II's. They said that because the weight was on the cusp the III's would be an improvement, but not as good as the II's. I waited a few years to get the II's pre-owned (couldn't afford them new).

I have softwood floorboards, so put a sandstone paver under the speakers and then the Gaia's (previously they were on spikes on a concrete paver). For the first time in this house the speakers are displaying their potential. I now have bass, detail, imaging, transients and dynamics are all present now as well. Buy the II's, sell the III's to subsidize the new purchase - there will be a keen market for the old ones, and the new ones will be a life-long investment.

AndyCC72, GyroSE and teag like this.
  10. AndyCC72

That’s exactly what I’m doing. The 3’s are up for sale on a few UK forums and I’ve agreed £400 for a 2 sets of 4 Gaia 2’s. The wheels are n motion

qwerty and aorecords like this.
  11. jcn3

jcn3 Senior Member

@AndyCC72 -- you saw this post, right? the d7.2s only weigh 21.2 kg so your gaia 3s are more than fine. of course, it appears you've got some wheels in motion . . .

12. Bobble

Bobble Forum Resident

But he's getting new speakers that weigh 37 kg which puts them just south of 82 lb's

AndyCC72 likes this.
  13. jcn3

jcn3 Senior Member

ha! misread on my part! oh well . . . .

AndyCC72 likes this.
  14. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I misread his post.