"Future Of Classic Records" thread (part two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Steve, I have all the titles I want. Some of the titles going for much higher prices have only been out for a short time and who knows what the supply really is. I'm making my points not for my own personal interests like I missed out on something. I buy titles usually when they are first released because I want to listen to them. I'm saying I feel this is just wrong from what I am understanding it to be. These are reissue records yet some of our friendly stores are treating this like the stock market. There's nothing crazy about having an opinion about a subject like this. What is wrong for calling foul when it appears that a company is profiting off of the troubles of another and the peole they may be profiting off of our customers like us?

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sure, sounds good. I bought the first couple of Gabriel titles for fifty bucks, I waited a couple of months until I had some more money and they jacked up the price to seventy five bucks. The initial release was only a few months ago, not three years. That is why I am saying it is gouging.

3. Todd Fredericks

I agree about oop titles but it seems like some of these may not be out of print. I can only speak for myself but i am sharing my opinion about this and I think that's acceptable. Maybe I'm just getting tired of all this it's okay to profit like this.

4. Todd Fredericks

Steve, I read your post again I understand your points. Yes, buy things in timely fashion because they may not be available at the initial prices. I agree. I'm just saying with how this all rolled out that it sounds wrong, or strange, or whatever. Now the housing market (and what happened to the rents in NYC because of it) don't get me started....... :)

5. gueringray

gueringray Guy

Chad Kassem (AS) said this very thing at RMAF this year in regards to the Nat King Cole and the Sam Cooke Reissues they (Analogue Prod and Steve) are doing. If you want it, get it now, because EVERYTHING is a limited release.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Think of the deal you got on that Classic Record for $35. If you are a "collector only" you should be thrilled they are going for so much now. If you are a music lover, you should be thrilled that you bought one for a price that was worth it to you. If you don't think that record was worth $35, here's YOUR chance to make some cash on it....

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Some good points re out of print being more expensive. Problem is AS having aquired most of the stock have inflated prices of 'in print titles'. I mean titles that are still listed by classic's web site. Fortunately there are still stocks elsewhere and I have only seen one UK seller raise their prices.

My concern is when other sellers and foreign distributors run out of stock will they be forced to buy from AS at inflated wholesale? Also if AS deem a title to be OOP or scarce will they keep the remaining product for their own vinyl retail operation? This will shortly make many titles unavailable outside the USA regardless of cost.

7. I paid $70. a couple weeks back for the recent Classic Records 200g reissue of Stephen Stills - Manassas. The LPs sound great, but Classic did not include the original poster/lyric sheet in the reissue. That was disappointing, especially at that price.

At least when Analogue Productions reissued Yes - Fragile it came with the original booklet.

8. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Again, the problem isn't that Acoustic Sounds is raising the prices on titles that have gone out of print. The problem is that Acoustic Sounds is raising the prices on every title where there is limited stock, even if it Classic Records' license hasn't expired and the title can be re-pressed. Obviously Classic Records knows which titles are out of print, and I find it hard to believe that Acoustic Sounds would agree to purchase the remaining Classic Records inventory without obtaining this information. But they aren't sharing this information with the consumer, for the obvious reason that it would cut down on sales.

9. Todd Fredericks

You do make a good point. I'm still not sure what to make about all this. My trouble is I care about these reissue companies (like I did for DCC). I was sad to read the rumors and slow roll out of the news about CR being in potential trouble. I guess my problem is I get emotional about these things and I speak (or write badly from an Iphone) from the heart. Let everyone do well......

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Nothing wrong with stating your opinion. Don't worry what other people think. Very few on this board agree with everyone. :thumbsup:

11. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

I was wondering about that. It seems kind of strange that these products are still being sold as new. Are they still pressing them up?

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Some observations as a Classic Records fan:

1. Despite our love of the music, classical is essentially dead. You could not give away (almost) even a good Classic Living Stereo reissue. Now, someone screams "OOP" and the 45rpm sets are in the hundreds on ebay (I just checked). It's a shame mainstream classical releases, even SACD, don't sell. I suspect there are many people buying because they don't want to miss the party, not for love of the music. Sometimes I do this too.

2. I cannot blame Chad for making money but it does bother me that he knows what he or Hobson will or can repress but we don't. I hate asymmetrical information. This is also why I hate reserves on ebay.

3. If Chad gets rich or even makes a little money, then maybe we see more SH/KG vinyl and other APO releases or even Classic releases. Not a bad thing.

4. This seems to be great marketing for Hobson and Chad. The awareness of Classic and its titles is really high right now...on this board and ebay. Maybe that's a good thing too.

13. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I think it's a point worth mentioning; I'm sure AS didn't WANT to spend tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars UPFRONT for a couple truckloads (and truck freight hires are far from cheap); of already-released titles in which a good percentage of the potential market has already acquired them.

And for all of the discussion on capitalism, profits on one project allow a company like AS to take on other projects of interest in which there may be little to no return or even money losers that only have a limited market to music freaks like ourselves.

How many Nat King Cole or Humble Pie SACDs do you think AS are going to sell?

Or for that matter many of the great blues recordings AS has produced?

Believe me, it seems like AS (and ED) invests a great deal of money and sweat into THE MUSIC, which is what it's all about for all of us. :wave:

14. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

If in the long run this makes classc records remain viable and perhaps improve in quality control great

if this helps acoustic sounds also great

if some people who waited probably years to buy things now may have to pay a premium that is unfortunate but time waits for no one (besides if one is patient and look carefully relative good prices can be found...I just got a near mint count Basie 200 gram atomic Basie for $19.99 (and it's out of print)

15. Classicrock

Unfortunately we are talking about some titles which have only been available since Christmas. Few people can afford to buy 5 or 6 £50 box sets all at once and it is reasonable to expect them to be available at mormal retail for some time. Of course you expect to pay high for a long deleted LZ title.

All the rumours and misinformation about hasn't helped matters. Someone inside Classic said too much to the UK distributor and Mr Hobson made matters worse by his lack of PR skills. Statements get twisted and panic buying sets in enabling certain retailers to state OOP and jack up prices.

Let's hope Classic survive and some of these titles can be repressed where licences stlll exist. I know the box sets are limited edition but in the past this has not been restricted to a specific number.

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Classical music is far from dead. There are plenty of people of all ages that still buy classical CDs. The problem with audiophile vinyl classical releases is they focus on the same "exciting" or well recorded performances that appeal to the casual classical fan or audiophile (ie Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, 1812 Overture, Nutcracker Suite, Strauss 'Also sprach Zarathustra,etc)

I'm far more interested in the classical era composer's works of which there are plenty on CD from labels like Decca, DG and Naxos. They may not be the most well recorded, but often these labels have the best performances.

17. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

They were released over a two month period so the last titles were not available all that long at all. My plan was to buy them all in one shot.

18. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

No, generally it means they didn't sell out even the initial batch...

19. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Look around fellas... there are increasing numbers of used TTs and record accessories popping up for sale everywhere which points to a decline in interest of all things vinyl. The folks at CRs are looking squarely at the downside of the vinyl arc and have seen the writing on the wall. They know to survive, they must move on and anticipate the next 'Big Thing' in audio playback.

Their next move will be to change the name to 'Classic Tapes' to coincide with their introduction of the next phenomenon... the 'Audiophile 8-Track Tape'! Its the obvious next step... who's with me on this?!

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Dead was maybe a strong term. It's not dead at my house and I make a little money recording it on the weekends. But in the grand scheme of things it is dead as far as retail sales.

21. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

OK, this must be sarcasm...

22. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Umm... :agree:

23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

:righton::righton::righton::righton::righton::righton: Brother, you said a mouthful!!!!!!

JoeMusic1900 likes this.
  24. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I dont think the price hike is what gets me all huffy. Its the way they went about it. Its smarmy imo. And Im sorry but that letter from the president only seems to rub it in the nosew of those who are customers. I bought all the ones I cared about save 3 or 4 and I have found those. So I am not complaining out of sour grapes but rather the attitude and tone of the whole thing. It almost as if they are smirking at people.

25. Classicrock

Having tallked with someone in the vinyl import and retail business it might be wise to take Mike Hobsons statements with a large pinch of salt. Chas is apparently very happy in getting the Classic Stock which he can sell at inflated prices. Looks like a good deal for him and nobody else. Conflicting messages from Classic have suggested they are no longer manufacturing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.