Fred Seaman "The Last Days of John Lennon"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by boogieman, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

What I found interesting is I heard on the radio this morning Seaman had said John turned from his hippie ways and was sick of Jimmy Carter in the late 70's. He said how he wanted to vote for Reagan. Seaman said John was a closet Republican. Sorry if already posted on this thread.......

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The thread's already been controversial enough - please keep politics out of it. Besides, in John's December 1980 interviews, he stated that he never voted once in his life...

3. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Douglas was indeed wrong. John's housekeeper told him about the bust.

4. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

He didn't say voted for, he said wanted to. Well, I was also going to post that he told Seaman that his song Imagine was "naive" I think the word he used. I wasn't trying to be political. I just thought the comment has some interesting ramifications. You don't think people can take he had a different view on life once he got older? Many do.

5. helter

helter Forum Resident

Save that for a new thread. This one already has enough crap in it:D

6. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

How could Rosen "back up" that story? He wasn't there. It didn't directly involve Lennon, and so wouldn't be in the diaries.

Much of the time, there's no need to believe either of them. Many of Rosen's stories are just things he picked up from Seaman's book anyhow.

Rosen's court testimony should not be looked at uncritically, but unlike Rosen's and Seaman's books, it was given under oath.

7. Matthew B.

Most of the facts are on public record. In particular, we know that Douglas's description of Seaman's conviction is not accurate. It was not the result of a missing stereo or two.

You seem genuinely angry about me, which frankly I find bizarre. But I can assure you I'm not angry about Seaman, so maybe I'm misinterpreting your tone in a similar way.

8. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

That makes four people in this thread that know of Fred's posting in RMB.
    Not such a little forum after all.
    Has anyone gone there to read the posts? Can't discount them until you do....

9. Mark Kaufman

Mark Kaufman Forum Resident

This would not surprise me. I often wonder how John's view of "Imagine" fared over the years. I also wonder if he ever listened to Steely Dan's "Only a Fool Would Say That", which I've always thought was a caustic rejoinder to Lennon and "Imagine". How could a guy like John not appreciate such a well-placed New York zinger? And even if I'm wrong about the intended subject of the song, something tells me John would immediately "go there" in his own interpretation...he even thought "Hey Jude" was about him rather than Julian.

10. Immerse

Immerse New Member

Fair comment.

It's possible Jack got dates confused. Maybe he was meeting John in the studio that day to chat about ideas?

I don't know, I'm open minded to change my mind. I just see a lot of Fred Seaman bashing and I remain unconvinced that he was this evil figure.

11. Matthew B.

Not his point. His point is that some of the things Douglas says are impossible, like hearing about Paul's drug bust during the Double Fantasy sessions.

[Edit: But I see now that you've just revised that post, so this one is moot.]

12. Immerse

Immerse New Member

He was still proudly quoting 'Imagine' in his 1980 press interviews, if that counts for anything.

I've always felt it's an interesting thought, wondering how JL would have felt after 9/11. Especially given that he loved New York so much.

13. Immerse

Immerse New Member

Yes, I misunderstood his point

(this thread is too fast)

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm curious: do those of you who are FS "supporters" (for lack of a better term), not believe the rmb posts were written by him? I agree that it's not possible to definitively prove they were written by him, but as someone said earlier about his book (paraphrasing here): the posts have "a ring of truth" to them. IMO.

15. Matthew B.

Lots of minutiae about his court cases. Not the sort of thing you'd think a hoaxster would bother, or be able, to manufacture. Incidentally, the stuff about Reagan is in there too.

It would help if Google's Usenet search functions weren't so broken that it's impossible to view a lot of his posts.

16. no opera star

no opera star New Member

Only if you're not familiar with Yoko's petty vindictive nature.

puddingdish likes this.
  17. no opera star

no opera star New Member

He was being taken to task legally with somebody who had absolutely unlimited resources at her disposal. On top of that he had been accosted by thugs working on behalf of Yoko's interest at least once so my feeling is that he would've said anything they wanted him to say, and still he didn't say he fabricated anything.

Again, the fact that you're nitpicking this gardenias thing to death only shows how motivated you are to smear Seaman on Yoko's behalf.

puddingdish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.