Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Markarrow, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The '200 Motels' soundtrack album came out on UA, which doesn't exist any more. In the early 80s it was reissued by MCA on LP and cassette. MCA never issued it on CD, though, so their rights must have come into question at some point. The eventual Ryko CD just credits "under exclusive license from M-G-M", who also don't exist any more (if they did, we wouldn't have had to wait so gosh darn long for 'Cabin In The Woods' to hit theatres!).

It's possible that UMG are trying to clear up the legal rights behind the scenes, quite likely to obtain the rights to reissue both the album AND the film. But neither is going to be much of a cash cow at this time, so it's doubtful to be a priority.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It would likely be a lot less work to get a bluray of 200 Motels out (hopefully with a 5.1 remix if the multitracks still exist) than it would be to assemble a Roxy bluray from the unsynced elements they are working with.

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The MCA part is what I find confusing. I know Universal bought MCA, but I wasn't sure if that meant the 200 Motels soundtrack was under their umbrella or not.

Still, it should be easier for Universal to get that cleared up than it was for Ryko.

4. Oh God, please, PLEASE, make them include "Big Swifty" in there!!

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

An excerpt from "Big Swifty" is included in the trailer. It's short, but it's there.

6. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Wow I would love a blu ray release of a great Zappa show!

Can't wait to check back in here and see if these remasters are done well. Would be nice to have a go-to digital edition.

Of course, hi-rez would be the dream.

ccm

7. You're kidding!? And you've made my day!

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Site: progressiveears.com
    Thread: The Zappa Catalogue???

Ladies and gentleman, I'm sold.

9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

10. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

ARRRGGGHH! I mean, YEEEEAAAAHHH! :D

Why, oh why could this have not been done right the first time around, when I had disposable income! REALLY going to have to pick and choose.

If the Dog Breath 45 is not included in this programme, Ima gon' be pissed!

11. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

This is fantastic news. I love Zappa but have been reluctant to buy most CDs since they feature remixes. Then, just as I was starting to find out which ones have original mixes so I could buy a couple of the good ones, they go out of print! But this is good. I think even if the mastering is comprised it'll still be nice to have some damn consistency in this man's catalogue for once. But as stated before, since recent Zappa releases have had good mastering, I’m confident these will too.

I’ll buy Hot Rats, Apostrophe, and Overnite Sensation on day one for sure.

12. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I have the same mixed feelings. I'm really happy about the review from progressiveears.com, but if I am to buy the Zappa titles that I own all over again, it's really going to hurt my wallet. OTOH, if this is true, they'll certainly be worth it as far as better sound quality goes. Pick and choose indeed.

BTW. Does anyone know if these are going to be jewel cases or digipaks? I know it's all about the SQ upgrade, but I would hate to see these new releases being offered as diigpaks.

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

For what it's worth, 200 Motels is currently available on Netflix streaming. So somewhere along the line the rights have come into play for someone.

14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

There's no way I will fork out again for a new set of CD's.
    I've got all the vinyl I want for original mixes, and ever since the '95 Rykos came out I've been buying one or more titles every once in a while. When word came that they went OOP, I still needed 15 titles. Now I'm down to 9, and those are the ones I'm after. After that, I'm finished as far as back catalogue goes.

15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

That's not just any review, either. That's Mike Keneally, former Zappa guitarist and overall swell guy. (I had the pleasure of meeting him at a G3 show in 1996.) He used to frequent the alt.fan.frank-zappa newsgroup back in the 90's. Trust me, if he says the remasters sound amazing, you can take that to the bank.

I have to agree. This is going to do a number on my wallet, as well.

Now, there is always a chance that that albums like Freak Out!, Hot Rats, and Sleep Dirt are still going to be the remixes since that is what "Frank approved", but that won't affect most of the other albums.

If Hot Rats turns out to be the remix, I still believe that a Project/Object or Deluxe Edition with the vinyl mix won't be far behind.

Nobody does, but I don't see many Universal releases in jewel cases anymore. Zappa Records hasn't released a CD in jewel case in five years. Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison is mini-LP with a mylar inner sleeve.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I *think* Universal owns the rights to both 200 MOTELS (the movie) and 200 MOTELS (the album). Coincidence?

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I preordered everything Amazon has up for pre-order, which, as of today, isn't everything they're re-releasing in July (no FILLMORE EAST 1971; no JUST ANOTHER BAND FROM L.A. - yet, anyway).

I'm excited. I think they'll get it right, finally.

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm okay with mini-LP sleeves (the thick cardboard they used for 'Buffalo' and 'Philly' is especially appreciated) but I loathe digipaks. And the burnished mylar inner sleeves they've used so far (Tzadik have been using them lately too) are okay - they don't scratch the disc surface like the shiny ones used by Matchless, Ogun and Smalltown Superjazz. I've had some discs from them that were unplayable brand new. If packaging becomes an issue with this series, I'm sure a higher-quality version will come out in Japan post haste.

Is that the same low-quality stretch-o-vision "Tony Palmer approved" version currently being sold on DVD? I'm not so sure anyone bothered to clear any legal rights before issuing that.

19. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

I actually like Digipacks. I'm probably the only one on here who does. I think they're better for design -- of course, as an album cover designer, that'd matter to me and nobody else.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Me too. Hot damn! (And hot rats!)

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I haven't bothered watching it . . . I'll have to check.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It's a pretty lousy design that allows no protection from damage from shipping and storage. I can order a dozen discs from an online store (for instance), and the nine that come in jewel cases arrive in mint condition and two of the three digipaks arrive gouged, scuffed and dirty. And that's the new ones - has anyone ever bought a digipak in a used store that was in half-decent condition?

23. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Great, that review was from Kennealy? Double ARRRRGGGGHHHH! :D

24. cubist

cubist Forum Resident

You could equally ask if anyone had bought an LP in a used store with a sleeve in decent condition. The nature of paper products is that they get scuffed and discolour. I'm a digipak fan and I've never had any issues with them getting trashed in the post, though I've had several CDs in plastic cases arrive broken. Mind you, I've never had the money to buy more than a couple at a time!

I think from an aesthetic point of view its digipak all the way. Jewel cases to me are impersonal & ugly. Plus they break very easily and the booklets always end up with bent corners from sliding them in and out of the case. With Digipaks the booklet has its own sleeve to live in.

Anyway, had to get that off my chest! Back to Zappa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.