Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Markarrow, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't agree that the Zoot Allures LP sound bizarre or bad. It sounds to me like FZ was going after a raw, dark sound, with no Ian Underwood or George Duke anymore to make the music slicker or prettier, and got it. As far as which master the new CD uses, see my comment about "Disco Boy" above.

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I just meant "bizarre" in terms of his other recorded output; nothing quite sounds like "Zoot Allures."

folkfreak likes this.
  3. rjraphael

rjraphael Forum Resident

Some of the second wave (August) titles are down to $9.99 at Bestbuy.com.

4. Following on my post #949. The note I am talking about is the one happening at 7:07 on this Youtube file (block of tracks):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUqvGHzpmQ

...which I believe is from the 90s CD, and it sounds intact on that version AFAICT.

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thank you so much!
    The information on that page is invaluable. I have referred to it regularly since I found it, around 12 years ago.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Overnite, Apostrophe, Roxy, One Size and Sheik. Wonder if those are the titles they plan to have in stores?

7. brucehf

brucehf Forum Resident

Of Overnite, Apostrophe, Roxy, One Size and Sheik reissues, which are the ones to get or are all the ones to get, and why? I ordered Hot Rats, BWS, WRMF and Absolutely Free from the first wave, and want to get the best of the second wave.

8. xiaNaix

xiaNaix Forum Resident

I hear it on my copy as well. If you look at the waveform you can see the dropout in the left channel (just to the right of my marker). It was probably on the master tape they used. :(

http://i.imgur.com/yMHh9.jpg

Attached Files:

9. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Bizarrrre.

I just ripped and checked Uncle Meat (the new one) against the original Zappa UK pressing (the late 80s one) and although it sounds almost identical for the most part there are differences, the most notable being the complete lack of reverb on the track 'Legend of the Golden Arches'. The original pressing has reverb the new one does not. I haven't A/Bd the whole CD yet but this jumped out at me.

Here's a couple of wavs/graphs to show that there are tonal/detail differences in the two releases.

Dog Breath - Zappa UK CD 1989(ish)

[​IMG]

Dog Breath - Universal 2012

[​IMG]

Dog Breath - Zappa UK CD 1989(ish)

[​IMG]

Dog Breath - Universal 2012

[​IMG]

The other digital transfers (Freak Out, Ruben, Lumpy Gravy) are all the same as the Rykos. WOIIFTM I haven't checked yet.

Anyway, back to Uncle Meat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.