Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Markarrow, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

That's hilarious! And we're 5 miles away from each other, so I'm sure there's a correlation. I would totally swap if I hadn't already called for an exchange!

2. Waveforms is information... which is not knowledge I know...

I appreciate vastly that some kind and knowledgeable souls here enable me to "see" a bit before buying, in this day and age of "digital chumping" and limited spending budget on my part.

3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yeah...me, too. I just called for the exchange.

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

What would have made more sense, of course, would have been to put 'Uncle Meat' and 'Hot Rats' together as a 2-disc set (or maybe 'Ruben' and 'Meat'). The precedent had been set by issuing 'Money' and 'Lumpy' together, and 'OverNite' and 'Apostrophe' together.

Or how about some of the live stuff issued as side one of 'Mystery Disc 2'? (and later as 'Ahead Of Their Time') If he HAD to include some stuff from the videocassette, why dialogue and not music?

And if he HAD to release 'Tengo Na Minchia Tanta' it really would have made more sense to include it as a bonus track on 'Man From Utopia.' Not only does it not belong on the 'Meat' CD, it really doesn't belong in the movie either!

5. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

Very well put. I think FZ could have "finished" the UM movie with what he shot in 1970, added silent footage from the 60s MOI era, and it would have had every bit as much of a 'plot' as the finished movie did.

That aside, I get having Phyllis Altenhouse come back to film material in 1982. But Massimo--and I LIKE Massimo--is well out of place. The only reason that TNMT is in the movie and on the UM CD is to showcase Massimo. Otherwise, nothing to do with anything (except maybe Man From Utopia. Maybe) :)

6. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

These come out next week here in Canada.

7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Burnt is the one i bought & it indeed does sound really good !:righton:

I would have bought maybe 4 of them , but my local store wanted $18 PER cd ..... much cheaper online .

8. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Thanks for that - I've never actually seen the libretto before. It's especially cool for me to see who sang what since I sometimes have a hard time identifying some voices. If only there were such a detailed libretto for We're Only In It For the Money, because due to the sped-up vocals, that's the one I *really* have trouble with figuring out who is singing/saying what.

9. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Wonder no more. :)

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/We're_Only_In_It_For_The_Money.html

10. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I just got back from best buy with 6 and that's all they said would be in store of the first group.the rest online. what a bummer.maybe the guy I talked to didn't no what he was talking about i don't no but this is what i came home with.
    so i got,
    Freak
    AF
    HR's
    BWS
    WRMF
    Fillmore

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think this was the same batch they had at Best Buy in Niles, IL. I would have thought they'd stock WOIIFTM rather than Weeny or Weasels.

12. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

My Best Buy in Novi, Michigan had the exact same titles. It does seem almost random as far as which of the twelve they chose to stock in store, and I am surprised that Money wasn't chosen. It's almost like they threw darts at a board with all Twelve, and those are the ones that made it! :laugh:

13. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Sad part for me is i would have walked out with all 12.
    I have all mothers and zappa mostly all NM on vinyl but plan i buying all
    on cd as i never bought any with the exception of the overnight/apostrophe
    twfer from the 80's.
    Some bestbuy suit somewhere needs to pull his or her head out of his or her ***.

14. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

I gave Just Another Band another listen, and discovered that another glitch has ceased to be. Near the end of Billy The Mountain there used to be a moment of tape drag that drove me nuts. I don't know if it was corrected for the Ryko cd (the mastering was so awful I could never stand to listen to it), but in any event it's gone now. Track One, at about 21:17, "...and the mountain she's on..."- - Mark's voice no longer bends down a half-step. I'm impressed.

15. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I'm wondering if Uncle Meat is coming out as a 'deluxe edition' when the reissue series has ended.
    I can see a two disc issue with the original mix plus DVD of the movie.

16. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

:laugh:
    PENALTY DISC!

:winkgrin:

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

When asked, Gail suggested that Uncle Meat and Hot Rats were in the running for Project/Object treatments, but that's taken a back seat in the wake of these new reissues. Maybe next year.

I feel a Frank binge coming on. I'm heading over to Best Buy tomorrow for AF, Fillmore and I think Hot Rats too--I was trying to hold off on the last and wait for the special edition, but screw it, it's my birthday on Saturday. I ain't gettin' any younger!

18. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

For Aussies, JB Hi Fi seem to have FO, Money, HR and Weazels out today on their site, with no mention of the other 8.

Might go and check them out at lunchtime.

19. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Good luck.
    The one here in Wilmington doesn't even have a Frank Zappa bin card in their CD rack, not a FZ CD in sight. The guy who worked there who told me "sorry we don't have them but I can order them" looked at me if I had three eyes when he was crusing though the albums avalable on his monitor (burnt weenie sandwich, lumpy gravy, uncle meat, weasles ripped my flesh...this guy must be a weirdo) gave me this look of shock, then ran back to the safety of his video game department. No wonder why they're going down the shute. Four rows of rap and country, three rows of rock, and jazz and some R&B lumped into a section labeled "other music". Sad!

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Best Buy does blow. But I am glad to order online from them

21. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Just bunked off work to look at my nearest JB. Nothing there but some unsold Ryko CDs. Plus, curiously, Little MOFO.

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I called ahead. They have the ones I'm looking for, though I had to spell out Z-A-P-P-A a couple of times before the guy got it! I wouldn't normally go out of my way for Best Buy, but it's hard to beat the price here.

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

JB Hi fi's like The Brotherhood of the Bell. When the new Universal Sex Pistols remasters came out they just slotted them in next to the old Virgin/EMI versions. You'd have to be Boston Blackie with a magnifying glass to find anything in there. (They've done the same with Universal and EMI Queen CDs too)

24. guitarget

guitarget Forum Resident

My local Brick and Mortar (Silver Platters) has them for $11.99, so i picked up AF and HR when i was there last night. I also picked up a couple nice LP's. Buckingham/Nicks $6, Colin Blunstone - Ennismore $6 and a Moby Grape comp from the 70's $8. All near mint.

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Burnt Weeny Sandwich sounds mighty fine to me. Bob Ludwig did a nice job of re-mastering this title. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.