Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Markarrow, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I've been to two stores. Nada.

But, one of them was nice enough to take back my cracked Chunga's Revenge and credit my account.

2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Same here in Wilmington, not even FYE had them.
    I had to get mine though Amazon

3. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

By the way, all five discs and cases arrived in perfect condition. Amazon US.

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

5. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

I ordered all 12 from Best Buy. They arrived today, no damage. However CHUNGA was missing and there were two copies of JUST ANOTHER BAND! Frustrating, but BB is sending me Chunga via Expedited Shipping.

6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It includes the foreword from the libretto along with the lyrics in lieu of printing the entire libretto. Missing are all of the "episode" titles and the indicators of who sang what.

If anyone wants to do a compare: http://recordmecca.blogspot.com/2010/04/mothers-of-inventionabsolutely-free.html

Most fans won't care. It's enough.

Robert Parker likes this.
  7. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Thanks man – good on ya!

That was my impression too, even after only comparing the title track. I've listened to this album a million times (I really believe that's a conservative estimate), and the vinyl and Ryko are both burned in my brain.

Or what's left of it.

RZZZZZZZZZZZZ

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I went ahead and ordered these from Amazon as well.

Absolutely Free
    Chunga's Revenge
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Cruising With Ruben and the Jets

I never bought these on CD before and have the Rykos of the other new ones so I figured this was a good place to start.

I do find it funny that the extra material on Uncle Meat is referred to as penalty tracks by you guys. I guess more isn't always better.

10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

When the extra material is 40 minutes of crappy dialog and a song from 1982 sung in Italian, inserted into the original playing order, there's no way in hell anyone is calling that a bonus!

11. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Since that CD version is all I ever owned I just put it on and let it rip. I always looked at it as Frank being Frank. :)

12. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I don't know when that was started, but I would not be surprised if it has been over twenty years that we have been calling them that. Obviously, it is meant as the opposite of bonus.

I realize that Frank meant those tracks to fit in as conceptual continuity with the Uncle Meat film (which was on VHS at the time), but I don't see how he expected them to flow with the rest of the program. The first film excerpt is 37 and a half minutes long. There is not really much music. It's just incoherent dialogue. "Tengo Na Minchia Tanta" is a song, but it was recorded in 1982. The song is okay, but how does it fit in with a 1969 album? The second film excerpt, which is only four minutes long, doesn't look so bad by comparison.

The other thing is that those tracks prevented Uncle Meat from being a single disc like Roxy, Sheik Yerbouti, YAWYI, and Tinsel Town Rebellion. At least when Zappa In New York was expanded, it was with material that we wanted to hear. Not so with Uncle Meat.

Fortunately, those tracks are easily skipped.

13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Luckily I've got an amazing needledrop of the US 1st press Uncle Meat. Sounds killer!

14. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

If this link is working, I believe it's the first usage of the term.
    Biffy the Elephant Shrew in alt.fan.frank-zappa on March 12th, 1996.

15. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

I doubt it's digital compression. It's most likely the analogue compression done back in 1967 mixed with tape distortion over the years.

If someone could post a waveform it would probably clear things up.

16. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

:righton:

'Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin' from ZR-3835 (click for high-res):

[​IMG]

edit: According to TT DR Meter, this is the 'loudest' track on the CD; DR EQ 6.

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I hate waveforms. Just listen. The proof is in the pudding. The CD sounds great. End of story.

18. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

I'm fairly certain that Frank meant the UM "penalty tracks" to work as advance promo for the completed Uncle Meat movie, which came out on VHS in April of 1989 (well after the original Ryko UM CD). It also had the effect of lowering expectations in the film, for me anyway. If you have the penalty tracks, you do not need to see the film--unless that kind of life looks interesting to you, of course ;-)

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Biffy originating that term is fitting.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I sat through the 40 minute track once or twice. One thing I found frustrating is that it opened with a segment with "The Uncle Meat Variations" playing, leading me to think there would be connections with the record throughout. Instead it veered away to long monologues by Frank's secretary, Aynsley Dunbar, and others with tenuous connections at best to the album and the 60's band.

However, I've never considered it as big a deal as other people on the Internet seem to. Just put the disc in, fast forward to track four, problem solved.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In Zappa's defense, in 1987 when the CD came out, the industry standard was 74:33 for a single CD. The original double album runs a few minutes over that.

Ironically, Ryko themselves broke that length barrier in 1988 (and publicized it greatly) with an 80-minute Mission Of Burma compilation, and 79 minute CDs became fairly common.

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

BURNT WEENY SANDWICH is another winner.

I am SO enjoying these reissues. Frank was so great. Gawd, what an original.

23. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

That's how I see it as well. Probably haven't listened to them since the film came out! I'm not big on the film, since it seems more of "an enjoyable collection of home movies" (as the Mother People review of the time put it) than a "Mothers Of Invention movie" (which implies, you know, that The Mothers Of Invention would be in it--for the most part they're not, apart from Don, Motorhead and Ray Collins).

Pat, you're most likely correct. Time filling would have been an issue back then. Good thing that Frank didn't see fit to make UM fit on a single disc by hacking things out--which COULD have happened.

24. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Ha! Mine arrived, no damage. However, I got 2 CHUNGAs and no JUST ANOTHER BAND. We should exchange!!!:winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.