Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Roxy is not one of the remastered titles. It is identical to the '95 Ryko CD.

2. I've never had anything from Frank Zappa. I've only started to listen to him in the last year and finally decided to get something from him after seeing the reviews of the reissue campaign. Forgive me, I am only 22!
    I also meant more the musicianship, humor and experimentation on Roxy & Elsewhere when I was jawdropped.

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

You're gonna love One Size Fits All - my favorite FZ album!

Also, if you like that band line-up, I heartily recommend the "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume #2, The Helsinki Concert".

4. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Roxy was my first Zappa album too. I felt that same enthusiasm decades ago. I only brought up the non-remaster issue since that was what most of this thread is about. Sorry if it came off harshly. You have a lot of joy awaiting you as you discover more of his masterworks. Enjoy!

5. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Another Gail ? direct from zappa.com/gzsez/questions:

On Sep 14, 2012, at 5:10 AM, Nick Meyers wrote:

Hi Gail / Barfies,

Can you tell me the titles comprising the final batch of 12 original albums for release in November – presumably will include YCDTOSA vols. 3 through 6 and Yellow Shark?

Thanks

Nick Meyers – huge UK Zappa fan since the late 70’s…yippee do
    Barf

Ahhh. Tricky question. I see how you are. Out of a total of 56 actual Titles (considering some of the combined ones – Joe’s Garage and SU&PYG and LSO par example – you want to know how we are planning to get to 12 in November. Cheeky clever you are. Let me just confirm that for you Nick. That would be a yes on 12 – with fingers crossed. How we get there from here is a mystery so far but does include Mystery Disc. And YCDTOSA 3 – 6 and Yellow Shark and Playground Psychotics and The Lost Episodes with some Have I Offended Someone? on the side – and one or two surprises! Cross your fingers for me and we’ll get there together! (Did I mention Vinyl?)

Thanks Nick.

gz

6. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Interesting! Moon was born Sep. 28th. Fingers crossed...

On Sep 13, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Edwin Kool wrote:

Hello,
    I recollect an thrilling announcement earlier this year concerning Roxy and its release somewhat this year. After that my mailbox remained silent. That can have multiple causes but an update would be very much appreciated.

Thanx in advance so the speak.

From Holland with love

Grx!
    Edwin Kool

Today is my wedding anniversary and so I will tell you this: Stay tuned. The Real Frank Zappa Roxy Announcement will be yours not later than Moon’s birthday this year. And it is thrilling.

gz

7. Well, I suppose getting the Roxy reissue first was a good idea. :righton:
    Good lead into this little tidbit and the announcement that should be coming in the next two weeks.
    (For some reason, I always start by buying the "best" live CD for old-school prog bands/artists, then their "best" DVD, then the rest of their catalogue... Oh well, it looks like Frank Zappa should be no different.)

8. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

They are bit-identical, apart from the occasional digital transfer anomaly (usually a difference about 4 samples long in the ones I've compared). Totally inaudible so there's nothing to worry about!

9. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I listened to Hot Rats last night. I didn't care for how they sort of "messed with it" for the Ryko release. I thought it sounded fantastic1 i will never forget the first time I heard it. My sister's boyfriend's apartment, AR turntable and Advent speakers. First time I inhaled as well and I toke a big toke of Zappa! Still holding it in.

I didn't know if these remasters would be improved in sound. I didn't do a comparison but this one sounded great!

10. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I haven't gone through this whole thread, but how does the new Apostrophe sound?

11. Laservampire

Fantastic, well worth picking up!

In fact, all of the newly remastered albums are an improvement over previous CDs (and in a few cases, vinyl!)

12. ModernDayWarrior

Thanks!

So they eliminated the added reverb? Is it more like the Au20 mastering?

13. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Indeed. Overall sound is very similar to the Au20 IMO.

14. ModernDayWarrior

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

15. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Welcome! I just uploaded some samples if you'd like to A/B between the Ryko RCD-10519 (ugh! reverb!!), Ryko RCD-80519 (aka Au20) and Zappa ZR-3851 (2012 UMe).

Screenshot of all 3 in release order (click for high-res):

[​IMG]

Samples (from 'St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast'; 16-bit WAV):

sapbX3.zip

\../

16. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Not all of us agree with this, btw. But you have to read the thread for the details.

:)

17. Brother George

Brother George Forum Resident

NO IT ISN'T!! Sorry for the caps, but I have seen a number of posts claiming the 2012 Roxy CD is identical to the '95 Ryko, but it ISN'T. Obviously so if you actually listen to it rather than just read the back of the jewel case. It is the same as the 1992 Barking Pumpkin edition, which has VERY noticeably different mixes on several tracks from the Ryko... Cheepnis being the most noticeable.

18. Brother George

...Also the EQ on the Ryko a good bit brighter and bass-shy. That may account for some of the mix sounding "different". But it's definitely not identical.

19. Laservampire

The only variation between all of the CDs of Roxy is whether or not the remix or original mix of "Cheepnis" is included.

UK Zappa Records - original LP mix of "Cheepnis"
    US Barking Pumpkin - later remix of "Cheepnis"
    '95 Ryko - later remix of "Cheepnis"
    '12 UMe - later remix of "Cheepnis"

Apart from that one song, all of them are digitally identical.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Early pressings of the US Barking Pumpkin CD also have the original mix of "Cheepnis." I have one.

21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Me too.

22. Brother George

I have A/B'd the '95 Ryko and the '12 UMe pressings several times. They sound different. I double-checked the Zappa Patio entry on Roxy, it was the Zappa Records pressing (CDZAP39) that contained the original vinyl mix of Cheepnis.

23. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Just performed a successful null test of RCD-10520 ('95 Ryko) & ZR-3852 (2012 UMe); they are identical. I wish they weren't; both are really bass-shy IMO. Will post samples in a few minutes...

24. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

5) Roxy & Elsewhere - NOT a new remaster (identical to '95 Ryko)

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/index.html

25. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Here's roughly the first minute of 'Echidna's Arf (of You)' from RCD-10520 [Ryko '95; top] and ZR-3852 [Zappa UMe 2012; bottom]; click for high-res image:

[​IMG]

Samples:

eaoyX2.zip

Really hoping all the Roxy material gets the Project/Object treatment soon!!

\../

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.