FRANK SINATRA comp., "Nothing but the Best", released 5/13/08

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Andrew_123

Andrew_123 New Member

Hi Johnny.

I agree with you. There more I listen the more wired things I seem to hear as well. It could be to do with some form of electronic processing?

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Same to you, thanks. :wave:

3. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Does anybody have information about this release? I'm interested in the sound quality of the "rare and unreleased bonus CD" 12 Songs of Christmas. I can't find a listing for it on any of my favorite online retailers.

Attached Files:

4. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

I found it at Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nothing-But...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1229583208&sr=1-1

The second disc isn't really "unreleased" though it is new to CD - 12 SONGS OF CHRISTMAS is a Reprise LP dating from 1964 with tracks featuring Frank, Bing Crosby and Fred Waring & The Pennsylvanians. While this is indeed the first time it's appeared on CD in its original configuration, the five FS tracks have already been released on CD in the past. I haven't played my copy yet, so I can't comment on the mastering and/or sound quality. There's no original artwork and/or liner notes for the release, as it's shoehorned into the NOTHING BUT THE BEST packaging. But for £7.47, it's not a bad deal (especially with the exchange rate what it is now), and it's an even better deal if you didn't already buy NOTHING BUT THE BEST.

I'm looking forward to listening to mine!

Joe

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

How many versions of "Nothing But The Best" are there? This must be the fourth version.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Passed on it ..did not come with the dvd.

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I count at least 8 versions; 10 if you include iTunes. See the bottom of this post.

8. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

Bought mine here at jpc.de. Now I have the DVD-Version and the Christmas Edition. The sound quality of 12 Songs.. is IMHO poor. The songs from "12 Songs of Christmas" that are on the Frank Sinatra "The Christmas Collection" CD from Reprise/Warner in 2004 are a good deal more dynamic.

9. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

See my former post in this thread http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=161334&page=9&highlight=sinatra:

10. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

The sound on this disc really bothers me- I can't explain why but a lot of it just sounds... wrong... compared to (for example) Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years which has sadly gone out of print.

12. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Sorry to open up an old thread.

It should be clear what is "wrong" with this release. It is bathed in NR. Even the review states how well they reduced hiss... :realmad:

I just picked up this release, and I had a headache by song 2. Wow.

If you are sensitive to NR, do not pick up this release.

Thanks,
    Kevin

CBackley likes this.
  13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Well, there is some NR, yes, and also (more offensive to me) a heavy dose of compression.

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  14. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Yup, two strikes.

15. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Well, there's noise reduction, over-use of compression and - worst of all - bad re-mixing. Haven't played the disk since the day it has been released. Can't stand it. Somehow reminds me of the questioning scene in Billy Wilder's "One, Two, Three" in which Horst Buchholz has to listen to a record running off-center;)

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

It's the remixing above all else that ruins it to my ears.

17. MLutthans

Is this pre-release promo legit???? It's on Reprise, which seems odd.

Attached Files:

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Why? So was the released version (on Reprise). The Concord deal didn't start until the next year.

19. MLutthans

Ah.....that's right! Brain fart by me.

Thanks, Bob!

Matt

20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Did the crew that worked on "Nothing But the Best" also work on the later Concord reissues? I've read before that Nancy says they have no control over what the labels release, but if it is the same crew, then they seem to have some control over who does the work. That's strange, isn't it?

21. MLutthans

(Pointlessly closed thread reopened.)
    51dIJECHBML.jpg
    Looks like that reversed-image artwork is now being used for an unofficial release:
    s-l1600-296.jpg
    s-l400-14.jpg s-l400-14 flipped.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    DmitriKaramazov and CBackley like this.
  22. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Where does the "Come fly with me" version come from?! Not the man and his music version or am I wrong?

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It’s the same take. However: (1) The A Man and his Music track is edited down to one chorus (plus Sinatra spoken intro); and (2) the Nothing but the Best track contains a different intercut end tag (“Pack a small bag” vs. “And don't tell your mama!”).

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Thanks for the info Bob! So the unedited version saw its first release in the trunk?

25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

By the way, beside "Seduction" this is likely the worst sounding Cd of all. The compression is murder. Gives me a headache. And as you all know, to make things worse the cd is filled with wrong notes. But oh my, the missing intercuts makes it a collectable after all.
    Otherwise don't avoid it, RUN FROM IT!!!:D