For those who know, what's wrong with belt-drive turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grant, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blueman

blueman New Member

whatever Michael... I tried to be concilliatory and you just wanna keep on dissin me. . When I "said "elsewhere" I meant another forum ENTIRELY; you think stevehoffman is the only forum on the planet? So, obviously you ASSUMED I was talking about you, when I wasn't. Your post to me on a different topic in THIS forum was perfectly fine and helpful. I wondered why you reacted the way you did. Thought I'd see how far you'd go. Don't know what's eatin' you. A misunderstanding obviously. And I've gotten some great help from members here through private messages. I doubt very many members here take this all too personally. But if you guys wanna kick me out..fine; no hard feelings! But thank you again, anyway. Best to you and yours. Peace..truly.

2. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

There's nothing concilatory about saying "whatever". It's condescending and dismissive - "dissin me" as you put it.

And there's the perfect example of how your cries of being concilatory are false.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Must be a full moon phase...

4. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

It's certainly bringing out a number of newbies who aren't interested in the culture of this forum.

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Somebody please sacrifice having the last word.

6. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Well...........anywho, uhm........BTW Grant, did you get a new table or are you still looking?

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Who would have thought that a discussion about the merits of BD vs. DD turntables would turn out to be one of our most contentious and un-civil threads? This one has spun out of bounds at least 5 or 6 times.

8. mambo

mambo New Member

I was wondering the same thing!

Plus right now I have the last word :laugh:

9. useridchallenged

useridchallenged New Member

10. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Looks like we may need to add another rule to the forum. :sigh:

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

The snipping on this thread has kind of made me tune out. Besides, i'm now looking at rumble filters.

13. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I started using a rumble filter about the second or third page of this thread ;) .

14. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

The weight of a platter has nothing to do with the platter's absolute speed accuracy--it only contributes to a consistent speed.

This is because a heavier platter will have more mass and in turn, more inertia which can help keep the platter spinning at its original speed if the power fluctuates & the drive motor changes its speed as a result; or a mechanical component--like an incorrectly machined bearing--causes any intermittent friction i.e. "pulsing". So basically the platter is acting as a mechanical dampening system.

But a turntable could use a 100lb platter--or a 1000lbs or 10,000lbs, it's all the same--and if the motor driving it is turning it at the wrong speed, you will simply have a 100lb platter spinning at the wrong speed........but very consistently! :)

Though as others have mentioned here, fast speed variations (i.e. wow & flutter) are more noticeable than just a *slight* absolute speed inaccuracy. So a heavy platter is definitely a useful feature to have on any type of table. As far as how heavy, I honestly don’t know.

BTW: Car manufacturers sometimes specify heavier-than-normal flywheels for luxury models to enable their engines to rotate more smoothly > this supplies additional rotational inertia in between the various pistons’ power strokes (though it also reduces the engine’s responsiveness to the driver’s throttle inputs but this is really more important in a sporty model); and I've seen cassette decks with small flywheels connected to their capstans for the same reason (& a cassette itself can cause speed variations due to cheap construction techniques).

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

So, I'm assembling a LP to computer set-up for needle drops, and I have two pretty good turntables. An Ariston with an SME III arm and a Shure 94 cartridge or a JVC Direct Drive turntable with an Audio Technica cartridge. And I'm going for the JVC, in part because the arm lift works in a stable fashion and I can fine-tune the speed. The difference in sound quality between the two is pretty much a draw. Of course, if I had a Linn Sondek LP 12, there would be no contest. But I don't have a LP-12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.