FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours -- New WB vinyl, "Gold Dust Woman" mix variation question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

It's strange that a song I've heard 1,000 times in the past 20 years has conjured up some strong childhood memories. I had the big howl version on a home recorded 8-track that I listened to the whole summer of 1980. I never missed the howl when I upgraded to vinyl, and then (I guess) downgraded to CD.

Always nice to hear something I remember that I haven't heard in forever.

2. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

...and I thought Wally mastered this one. I have 2 copies, a first US Capitol and a first UK Capitol. I'll have to compare them.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Martin,

You actually have a "version 3" (no screaming at all)? A 44 cut? Hmmm, this gets so wacky. I wasn't sure it actually existed. Guess I'll have to review my source material one more time. Sigh.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Why don't you put a sticker on the front stating ''If you like compression, don't purchase this LP''

JG

6. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Wow. I am so happy I bought a turntable. Thank heavens for this forum.

7. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

Sounds like the audio equivalent of working a jigsaw puzzle where all of the pieces are sky blue!

But, Steve, the real question remains to be answered: Are ya havin' fun?! ;)

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

LOL This is one of the most fascinating threads I've read in a long time. I can't wait to hear this LP.

9. kudesai

kudesai New Member

That is great! :edthumbs:

Funny, I always remember the album this way. It had gotten to the point with my 3 cd versions of this album, that I started to doubt my memory. Many of them sound great in their own way but not warm. Never fatiguing, just a little clinical. The main culprit is always "Dreams": punchy, tight, clear ... but not that cozy mellow sound I heard in my minds ear.

Steve, you are making me feel sane again!

Now if you could restore the rest of musical memories to reality... :)

(It looks I won that turntable just in time!!!)

10. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Disc 1 on the Rhino remaster cd has screamin but disc 2 which has an alternate take # 1 has more of a moanin sound rather than screamin. Just listened to it again and doesn't sound like Lindsey is anywhere in the mix but could be wrong

11. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Warm and yummy sounds right up the alley for what you do best Steve concerning mastering.I can only imagine how good this will sound. Thanks so much for taking the time to make this the best it can possibly be. And for asking questions to us.I think thats about the neatest thing ever.

Here you are a mastering guru and well respected by so many yet you take the time to consider that we might help in some way.That is supreme coolness in my book. I may not be a help most of the time but it sure makes me feel like I was there in some way and makes the experience even sweeter.

When this thing comes out and sounds so good to the buddies I am showing it off to I can say "hey you hear that part... that wail....?" My buds are just into music enough that they will get it and appreciate the nuance of what you went through also.And thats just the icing on the cake of what the rest of this album is going to sound like I am sure!

12. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

How could ANYTHING related to Stevie Nicks not be described as warm and yummy? :laugh:

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

hubba .. hubba :angel:

14. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, do you know if Warner will be making your mastering of this album availlable on DVD-Audio? I know there's the other DVD-Audio version, which I have, but this one would be great to have. :)

15. stever

stever Senior Member

Steve, I have to say the insights into your mastering of this album are fascinating! Thank you for your posts and for your hard work on, "Rumours."

16. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I need to hear "Songbird" in that amazing sound that this Lp is going to have.
    I`m sure it`s going to be incredible.

17. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Who made those notes and that decision--the band or the original mastering engineer?

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That's really interesting - so it was basically the same problem as the original RL cut Led Zeppelin II - it was cut so hot that the record company was getting complaints about needles skipping and the like?

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

The one track on the LP that always catches my system out is The Chain, it can get quite strident in the middle section, other than that track, I have always found it mellow and relaxing sounding!

Can't wait till the LP comes out, but then again I have no choice but to wait!

JG

20. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm dying with anticipation for this reissue of Rumours perhaps even more so than when the record was originally released.

Just wish I'd kept that original LP pressing from the first day of release. Oh well I'm sure this one will be miles better.

21. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

This thread personifies why Steve is the best.

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I think it was more a "fill" problem with the vinyl during actual pressing. The plants were complaining.

I think the amazing thing is that this information was unearthed at all, I mean it's 29 years old! Call me Sherlock, Jr.!:wave:

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't understand enough about record pressing to understand what that means.

24. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Never heard this ending. FWIW I prefer the fade up/fade down versions, giving the illusion that there is neither a beginning nor an end. It's one of the best last tracks on an album, and just leaves one in a certain "place".

That having been said, if this was the version originally intended by the band and Ken Caillat, etc., let it fly.

Dan

25. STAND BACK!!!!!! STOP DRAGGIN' MY HEART AROUND!!!! (wild laughter)