Favorite saxophone range

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Menehune, Apr 26, 2024.

1. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I voted tenor based on who I enjoy listening to. I really don't pay much mind to it aside from My Favorite Things where I wish he'd grabbed a bigger axe. :)

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Depends completely on the song and the context.

andrewskyDE and Kiss73 like this.
  3. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

love the tenor, personal favorite: joe henderson
    then alto sax: jonny hodges and wessel anderson

Kiss73 likes this.
  4. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

5. bill44

bill44 Forum Resident

Tenor...Stan Getz

Dirty Bertie likes this.
  6. cristodue

cristodue Active Member

7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Is Stan Getz considered to be sort of a lightweight (not anywhere near Kenny G.-level lightweight, but still)?

I love his Bossa Nova stuff, but he doesn't seem to on the level of the greats (mentioned in this thread) from what I've heard.

8. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Contrabass sax!

9. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I voted tenor, but my favorite is actually the bass clarinet (I know it isn't a saxophone, but it's usually played by sax players, so I tend to think of it in the same terms). I can enjoy any of the saxophones, but I usually have some difficulty with the soprano sax, even when played by greats like Coltrane or Shorter. Could it be leftover trauma from early exposure to Kenny G? Possibly, though I'm not entirely sure.

10. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

So, question for the group....

It seems some of the greatest practitioners of soprano are also top names in tenor. Coltrane is the obvious mark here, but there are many more.

Yet it doesn't seem like many are known for both tenor and alto.

Wouldn't you think it would be more natural to excel at more adjacent instruments?
    Or is it that alto and tenor are close enough to each other that an artist can reach a broader range with the same effort by doing tenor and soprano?
    Having only tried tenor myself, I'm not familiar with fingerings; are there different fingerings across the family that could also account for this?

Just curious.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  11. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

It would be too easy to go for tenor given Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Rollins, Coltrane, Dexter, Getz, Ayler, Sanders, Shepp, Shorter, David Murray, David S Ware, Charles Gayle...but I'm going for alto.

Not only are some of my favourite, now passed, sax players on alto - Johnny Hodges, Charlie Parker, Art Pepper, Jimmy Lyons - but people I listen to now tend to be altoists.

Matana Roberts, Greg Ward, Darius Jones, Emmanuel Wilkins, Rob Brown plus the older guys Roscoe Mitchell, Braxton, Threadgill.

Mind you...James Brandon Lewis and Dave Rempis (primarily) are tenor men so it isn't all settled.

Marzz and NorthNY Mark like this.
  12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Nope.

Well, yeah he is. You only have to listen to some of his 50s albums e.g. West Coast Jazz, The Steamer or the 60s/70s with Chick Corea in the band - Sweet Rain, Captain Marvel to see that he is one of the finest post-war tenorists.

13. Not Willem DaFoe

Not Willem DaFoe Forum Resident

This example might actually be a bass sax.

14. Not Willem DaFoe

Not Willem DaFoe Forum Resident

This is a good thread-within-a-thread: Getz was a monster player, but due to his “easy listening” output he’s gotten short shrift from some less-informed critical sources. Two other similar examples are altoist Paul Desmond and baritonist Gerry Mulligan.

bill44 likes this.