Favorite Female Singer of the 70s - Revised

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick1229, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

Ella Fitzgerald or Ann Wilson

2. svafo

svafo Forum Resident

Easy choice.
    Chaka Khan
    Surprised she doesn't get more votes.

I also like Agnetha Fältskog.

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

:confused:

4. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

Linda Ronstadt for me. She sang very well, I liked the type of music she did, and the production values were top notch. It certainly didn't hurt that she was easy on the eyes, too.

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Streisand's got the voice, and chops, I just haven't heard very much of her 70's material, apart from the duet with Neil Diamond and some things. I was hoping she'd log in and post.:)

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I voted for Joni but don't really feel she meets the criteria of having stayed popular through most of the 70s. Court & Spark (early 74) was the last that got much airplay. My fav of her stuff came on the 4 albums that followed.

7. From the list, Joni.

Overall, Sandy Denny.

8. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

No Brits? That's not right

Yeah, or Sandy Denny

9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Babs had a stellar run of several classic LPs in the 70's.

10. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I'm gonna go with Gladys.

11. gtyper

gtyper New Member

Let me caveat this - I say this from a completely non-sexist standpoint. I don't have issues with female singers -- I just find all but a select few actually do anything for me.

I find myself easily bored on most female vocalist tracks.

12. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

You mean this poll is rigged. Joni is the only artist of her type so she will get most (or all) the votes of those who prefer that genre. Anne Murry, Olivia Newton John, etc. will split the votes of those who lean towards that type of music.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

We're suppsoed to pick based solely on vocals right? Not on artistic output?

14. Rick1229

Rick1229 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Joni Mitchell as you may remember was extremely popular in the 70's. She was one of the Top 10 best selling female vocalists of the decade in album sales. She rightfully deserves to be in this poll. Had I not forgotten her you would not be saying this is rigged.

In the original poll, which did not include Joni, the votes were initially going to Karen Carpenter and Linda Ronstadt as it stands. ONJ and Anne Murray aren't losing any votes. It's funny how people can not accept it when they're favorites do not do well in these polls.

This is just fun - nothing more. I try and be as fair and scientific about choosing who goes into the polls I make. I do not choose my favorites instead I try and go by what was actually on the top of the charts at the time. I look for consistency in popularity and longevity. I actually put some research into these polls.

The fact that some artists seem to hold their popularity through the decades more than others should not upset you. Let's face it Joni Mitchell (of which I am not a fan - I do like about a dozen of her songs though) is somewhat a female Bob Dylan (maybe a bit of an exaggeration - but she has gone on to become one of the most influential female musicians of all-time.

If anybody is losing votes because of Joni it would be Carly Simon or Rita Coolidge.

Anne Murray, Helen Reddy, ONJ and Toni tennille were going to split the votes as it is.

15. Rick1229

Rick1229 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You should choose who you like best.

16. Of these, I'd pick Linda Ronstadt. But I miss Sandy Denny, Linda Thompson and Emmylou Harris.

17. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I voted Karen Carpenter great singer, followed by Roberta Flack but for quality of song writing it would have to be Joni

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Karen Carpenter

Darryl

19. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

Patti Smith, Linda Thompson, Sandy Denny, Kate Bush.

From this list: Joni Mitchell.

20. vesikirppu

vesikirppu Forum Resident

To me it's very difficult to vote any other than Kate Bush, who is not listed. So, in that case no vote from me.

21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Grace is one that is obviously missing. Jefferson Starship was all over FM radio in the 70s.

22. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

+1

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Went and saw Joni Mitchell back in 1976. Man, does she have an bad attitude problem. Many of us just walked out because of her attitude and mouth.

Carol King and Chaka Khan. Carol King was super big. Tapestry was an excellent album.

Stevie Nicks
    Christine McVie
    Bonnie Raitt
    Joan Baez

24. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

Her Greatest Hits, Vol. 2, is all 70s I think, and a great little collection.

25. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Stoney End from 1971 is well worth hearing.

I went for Joni - such a consistent run of albums.

Had she (i) been mentioned and (ii) we had more than 1 choice I would have gone for Patti Smith too...

Laura Nyro deserves a mention as well - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat, Gonna take A miracle, Smile and a great live album Seasons of Light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.