Fairport Convention 4MWB LP reissues *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Wheeler, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I just bought What We did On Our Holidays, it is on an Island blue label ILPS 9092 and it has 'nickw' written in the deadwax, which means it was cut by Nick Webb at Abbey Road. Haven't played it yet.

JG

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

:righton::righton::righton:

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Interesting. The Liege and Lief (80's) I have has a similar but different matrices:

ILPS 9115 A-2U-1-1-16

4. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

How does it compare to the Hannibal cd? That's the only version I have of Holidays. I'd like to grab the Tapestry LP if it smokes the cd. I could use a little push though considering that money isn't exactly falling from the sky at the moment.

Is the Tapestry LP worth starving my children for if I have no other vinyl copy?;)

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

But I believe it came out AFTER their second, which came out on A&M and was also eponymous in the US. It's the one with the elephant cover. The Cotillion uses the same cover art as the UK.

6. mrbillswildride

It gets a bit confusing... The elephant cover was for the US A&M Unhalfbricking, their thrid album proper, and maybe thrid Lp released in the US if the self title first on polydor (UK) Coalition US) can out after their second album proper, WWDOOH (UK title) simply entitled Fairport Convention in the US...) See my photos in this thread, back a page... which has all but the US Coalition firs talbum, relased before or after the same self title, but ralyy Holidays album on A&M...???

7. Another Side

This is the US version of "...Holiday"

[​IMG]

This is the US "Unhalfbricking":

[​IMG]

The Cotillion label didn't begin putting out records until 1969 or so. According to the Both Sides Now web site the first LP didn't come out in the US until 1970.

8. mrbillswildride

Try this again, slower...

First album pictured is 1969's UK Unhalfbricking, FC's third album. Same album was released in US with the same title, and the Elephant cover see in last photo.
    Note that the band is in the garden, inside the gate of Sandy Denny's parent's home in Wimblton (sp) and seem the same in small shot above the elephants...

Next cover is 1969s Liege and Lief, UK Island copy, US cover exactly the same (not shown) except for A&M Logo.

Next cover is two copies of FC's second album, (first with Sandy Denny a la Jefferson Airplane) What We Did On Our Holidays, released early in 1969, in UK, the last pair of pictures show this same album in tis US version. Totally different cover, (band in leaves) and the WWDOOH title removed, and issued as self titled...

Next set of pictures is the UK first issue for thier first album (slef titled)(Polydor) and Uk reissue (polydor). The US Coalition cover looks just the same as the first Uk, but has the Coalition logo... the quesiton is, when did it come out state-side, before or after Holdiays? Unhalfbricking? or Liege and Lief, all 1969 releases and all excellent... if it came out also in 1969, they take the record for four lps out in one year...1969...

that help?

:cheers:

9. mrbillswildride

Thanks another side...

Your post can up after I was composing and sent mine... I did not know about 1970 for the Coalition release, thanks.... I know all the rest of the UK/US release titles for 1968-9 and the assorteed covers/ title changes... my ost was trying to sort it for someon who seemed confused, (who wouldn't be with all the label/title/cover changes..) hope it helped~not conused more..

10. James Glennon

For starters, I don't rate Simply Vinyl, but has anybody heard their version of Unhalfbricking?

JG

11. mrbillswildride

I have it but have not open it...:shh: But I seem to recall reading some good things about that pressing around here, in a Simply Vinyl thread, that it was one of their better pressings...not one of thier sonic turds, as too many are...

12. James Glennon

Jeez! Are you not curious as to how it sounds? Go on break it open and give it a spin, life's too short!

JG

13. mrbillswildride

I just might... when my new Tapestry reissue of it come in...:shh::shake::angel::D

14. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I'll have to compare them again and get back to ya. I don't remember off the top of my head what (if any) differences there are!

15. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

I don't think that this will be a threadcrap as we are talking about Fairport LPs but can anyone point me to a thread that deals with the original A&M L&L LP?

I was shocked to A/B my original A&M LP with the original A&M domestic CD and find out how much better the CD was.

I am sure that the original Island LPs are much better sounding than the A&M LPs but has anyone ever compared the original A&M CD with the Island LPs to see how they stack up sonically?

16. Another Side

I have the original A&M CD and an Island LP (though not an original). My feeling is that they sound quite similar...that is a bit tubby, but I have not done an A/B. I'll try to report back.

17. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

Thank you very much for the response. If you do get a chance to A/B it would be very informative.

18. mrbillswildride

A Fair Pot of Fairport Queries...

I'm curious what your original A&M Lps and Cds are info-wise. What are the matrix info on the dead wax on the Lp(s)? of you don't mind? And I have no A&M original Fairpost Cds, did they come out in AM+ plus Cds? What are the matrix numbers on the hubs on those? I'd bet those would sound good...

Also, is there a big difference between your Lps set up and your Cd set up? orry, I have not checked your equipment profile yet..., not that I'd be able to interpret that stuff... Let us know... I have found that some WLP A&M Lps of Fairport Lp sound better than their brown label counterparts...

19. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

My set-ups are fairly similar for digital and analog. Modest entry level audiophile.

LP = brown label A&M
    Side 1 = A&M SP4413-P1
    Side 2 = A&M SP4414-P3

CD + A&M CD 4257(not +)
    Matrix info. = 10/88 1DA1

20. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

What do you mean by tubby.

21. Another Side

I mean that it has a bit too much lower midrange...250Hz to 500Hz. I should be able to do an A/B tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

22. Another Side

I did a quick A/B with the lead off song: "Come All Ye". Surprisingly the LP sounds a bit more dynamic. They both sound a bit tubby, but the CD sounds more tubby and flat. The LP, at least on my set up, sounds a bit more midrangey. Both sound good.

23. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Cool.

The Unhalfbricking is an original Polydor pressing - same as mine.

Liege & Lief - Polydor on side one - side two 'suggests' its a Pye stamper being used. I've seen mixed ones before just like that.

The Holidays are Pye pressings. I have one like your second one (+A/+B3) Its also on the center 'eye' label.

The debut album is a first Polydor stamper - the re-issue uses a similar number (A or B//1) but when you compare them the original is the hotter and clearer cutting!

US s/t (Holidays in UK) is a Monarch pressing. I listened to one of those recently but couldn't compare it to my UK. It sounded pretty good on headphones and may be a nice alternative to the pricey UK original. Many or most Monarch pressings are very good cuttings.

I've seen that 'RL' on a US Unhalfbricking I once had. They sound pretty good. Even so - it can't stand up to the sound of the UK pressing!

24. mike75

mike75 New Member

25. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident Thread Starter

He's just plain wrong this time. I hate to be that dogmatic but there is no way these LPs can be considered that good on any scale. These LPs are bad masterings of pretty good recordings. 9 out of 11? Nope, no way. Wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.