Everyone here listens to their music flat, right? (No eq, sub, etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parkertown, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I forgot that my EPI speakers have some kind of "brightness" knob that you can adjust. I fiddled with them for the first day or two after I got them, found the setting I preferred, and left them there.

2. Raf

Raf Senior Member

What exactly do those brightness controls on speakers do, anyway? Do they distort the signal like tone controls do? Why do some manufacturers feel it's necessary to have a brightness switch on speakers at all?

3. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

In-room frequency resonse varies depending on furnishings. Listening and speaker positions produce different results, too. I wish my tweeters could be turned down a couple dB, but I have no controls for that. So there are makeshift solutions like putting some facial tissue or a very thin cloth over them.

4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Yes, I know why manufacturers recommend using these treble switches. I'm just wondering why they feel it's necessary to have them at all, as opposed to just using tone controls or getting speakers that better suit your room response.

5. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

no tone controls on my Naim Nait.

Gotta love it. :righton:

6. If your speakers, headphones, and cartridge do not suck all on their own,
    you are better off w/o the tone controls . . . read Steve's post as to why.

If you use tone controls just on speakers but not the headphones
    you may have a speaker design, speaker placement or room problem.

If you use tone controls usually on your headphones but not the loudspeakers, the headphones may be the problem.

If you use tone controls on vinyl playback but not cd playback,
    you may have a bad phono cartridge. Get it?

7. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

It depends on how it's done, but I think it's possible that the speaker tone curves are less invasive than outboard EQ or amplifier tone controls. At least I recall being told this, but, of all people, an amplifier designer.

Maybe another forum member can educate us as to how this can be.

I recall my large Advents had three settings - everyone I know used the brightest possible setting. It still was a very warm speaker.

8. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, you are right on these points, but not every problem is immediately or reasonably solvable (such as room construction), and some people may want to settle for amelioration.

9. Chili

Chili New Member

I just look at it as a detrement to the sound (frequencies) that your system IS producing on its own. The whole signal has to go through this processing afterall. Basically I like what Steve said....just more stuff in the way.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The brightest possible setting on my speakers is very bright - I have them set somewhere just right of the middle.

11. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

What are tone controls? I do not have them...

Bob- :)

12. Max F

Max F Member

You guys must have perfect rooms... I don't (I live in reality land). You think you are listening flat, but your not!

I use a Behringer DEQ2496 totally digitally (digital in, digital out). http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG
    I use the parametric EQ to bring down bass peaks below 250 hz and use the 31-band graphic EQ to smooth out the bass (using auto EQ) and i add at slight rolloff around 1 khz (with a dip at 2.5khz for flavor) to help tame some edge off of CDs, the metal tweeters of my speaker and my bright room (hardwood floors). I also EQ my subwoofer flat with a slight room curve using the Behringer Feedback Destoyer (it has a digital parametric equilizer).

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Double ditto

14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Wouldn't that make you a treble slut? Or did you actually take money for turning up the treble? :)

15. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley Active Member

Listen to music mostley flat, but use some tone controls for sonic duds such as Long Distance Voyager and The Unforgettable Fire

16. mandel

mandel New Member

My system is quite bright I have to knock the treble down a bit on some badly mastered newer CDs. Occasionally nudge the bass up a bit if I'm listening to dance/ebm/industrial stuff.
    98% of the time though, I run totally flat.

17. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Well, I don't have a perfect room (mine sucks!) but I don't have tone controls. :p

:)

18. Max F

Max F Member

Then i guess your not listening to music flat (which may not be such a bad thing) :righton:

19. GP

GP Senior Member

In my teens I had a Sansui amp/preamp with bass, treble & loudness knobs and a Rat Shack graphic band equalizer with an odd booster called an IMX Expander.

Now, zero tone controls, but some very slight EQ futzing occasionally, for the more abrasive classic rock recordings.

20. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

If I want to turn the treble up, I swap in my silver cables. But then, most CD's top out at 20kHz or so, so...nothing beyond that most of the time.

I have a Musical Fidelity X-Tone, but it's not in my system most of the time.

21. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I used preamps with no tone controls from the late seventies until a couple of years ago. I bought a 1974 vintage Marantz 2235 receiver, which has bass, midrange, and treble controls, as well as loudness and mono switches. Inever use them.

22. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

i gotta try that toilet paper over the tweeters trick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.