Everyone here listens to their music flat, right? (No eq, sub, etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parkertown, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I have a vintage Marantz receiver with bass and treble knobs, but I have fiddled with them maybe twice ever. 99% of the time I just leave them flat.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I never use the tone controls. But sometimes, for nostalga purposes, I'll hit the "Loudness" switch. It sounds just like my '70's stereo.... :D

3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

No tone control here either. Don't use my sub because I never hear/feel anything coming through it unless it's x.1.

In the car, sometimes I have to turn the bass down because it's distorting, but only then. That's generally only stuff that's mastered loudly.

4. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I haven't owned a pre amp with tone controls in over thirty years.

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not really getting why this is such a point of pride for everyone...? What's wrong with using these things?

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Many here subscribe to the gospel of "flat" mastering, so why would they want to use the bass or treble knob? I have a co-worker who constantly pushes the five-band graphic eq on the office stereo into the "smiley-face" curve, with the 100 hz and 10 k bands pushed all the way to the top. He also turns on the "Super Bass." I come in every day and pull all the eq to zero and turn the Super Bass off. It's a never-ending battle. :p

7. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

They degrade the sound quality and they don't really work. You cannot compensate for questionable EQ in mastering with the use of a couple of knobs to tweak the bass and treble.

8. Raf

Raf Senior Member

One doesn't really have anything to do with the other.

Flat mastering is the most accurate way of reproducing what's on the master tape, which may or may not be the best way to hear the music.

Assuming you have a good sound system, keeping the tone controls flat is the best way to hear the mastering engineer's work.

I would assume that people who prefer flat-transferred remasters are actually more inclined to do their own EQ tweaking than people who like to play well-EQ'd remasters on a flat sound system.

9. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Back in my vinyl days, I had no need for an EQ. When I started buying CD's, I bought one within days of my first CD purchase. The hole in the mid-range of CD's necessitated that more than anything else. Can I have my records back? :mad:

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The idea (without having actually read this thread) is that "less is more". Tone controls and their switches, wiring and related design hassles degrade the sound quality coming from the source. Best to avoid that stuff by keeping your line stage as pure as possible. Even balance controls can degrade the sound. Most active audiophile line stages have just input controls and a volume knob (or dual knobs). Anything else requires more sound tampering.

If you must futz, get some kind of outboard EQ that you can SWITCH IN AND OUT OF THE SYSTEM using a tape loop or something. The ability to switch that right out of the system to listen to the pure signal is essential though. You don't want your tone shaper circuits (even when not in use the signal is still being fed through them) to influence the sound.

11. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I have no tone controls

12. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I have a question about my Yamaha AX-396 amplifier. It has a switch called "Direct CD/DVD" switch which I always use. I assume this means I am bypassing something and get a better sound?

13. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I admit, I tweak the tone controls. :hide: Always have, always will. I'd even like to get an EQ with a remote so I can adjust the tones while still sitting in the sweet spot.

14. ditto. i had tone controls on my old accuphase e-206, but i never used them either and the tone control section was always switched off completely.

15. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

:thumbsup:

A good way to compare what effect any EQ adjustments have since you can play the straight signal back as the reference.

IMO its the more 'processed' sounding, cheaply recorded, and older (i.e. pre-70's) rock & pop that can benefit from a little EQ adjustment. Like some '60's psych and pop rock. I'm not that concerned about futzing up the signal on sonic sludge like The Electric Banana, 13th Floor Elevators, etc. Isn't inducing a little near imperceptible distortion into a distortion drenched recording a rather circular issue? A lot of older recordings have little low end and too much on top. And I can take reduce that digital 'edge' from some CDs with a few careful EQ tweaks.

Most any period jazz, and later (post-1970 era) rock/pop recordings rarely need futzing. My records well illustrate that most recording of rock/pop took a step up about then.

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

At home I use an old 70's H/K receiver - both the bass and treble are turned slighly to the right of center most of the time. Same with my car.

17. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Flat. All the time. If I ever dabble in knob turning (other than volume) I always find that, yes you can decrease treble or increase bass, but in turn that will always affect another part of the sound spectrum and then everything starts sounding 'out of wack'.

If a certain recording (usually new cds) sounds bad then I either get a better copy (vinyl, older version of the cd) or ditch it and blame the bonce what mastered it.

Just today I was trying to listen to the Collectors Choice Everlys that recently came out. I know that Andrew Sandoval is a respected forum member but sadly I just find those CDs too glassy in the top-end:hide:. I could of mucked around with the treble control but in the end I went downstairs and pulled out some gold label and grey label WB LPs and all was well again.

Hope this doesn't come across like a bitch about the Everlys cds. 'Roots' sounds pretty nice..maybe it was just the stereo master of 'Two Yanks In England' that had that sound to it?

18. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

By-passed tone controls on my normal pre.

I'm currently playing with a borrowed McIntosh C32 and tried the controls at first for fun, then bypassed.

19. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Exactly. The room is the most important component of your system. I seen very expensive equipment that sounded quite bad because the room was set up correctly. Just because you leave the tone controls "flat" on your system doesn't mean that when the music interacts with the room it is still flat.

But it is a good idea not to eq or treat your room without knowing what you are doing.

20. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Ditto. Everything starts flat, and if it seems to need a little something, I give it. What sounded ideal to the producer/mastering guy/whomever might not to me. Why be a slave to someone else's senses?

21. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

On occasion I have experimented with 'remastering' a recording using a digital editor with eq, just to see what I could do. The recently discovered Disque Americ CDs of Help! and Rubber Soul are a couple of prime examples, and I had the benefit of that thread where Steve suggested eq tweaks for those. I've done the same for a few, um, 'unofficial' recordings by that same group, where some eq-ing restored a bit of life to a carelessly transferred tape (some, of course, are hopeless). I'm currently mucking around with the first two Big Star LPs. There are a few flat-transferred CDs I'll probably take a crack at in the future.

I've never cared for outboard eq, though. The LPs I listen to don't need it, and if I do needle drops I want them to sound like the source. As I said in the above paragraph, if I think the CD needs it and I really care enough about the recording to put out the energy, I'll spend a lot of time tweaking on the computer (I don't have $9k to spend on a tube processor :)). Most of the time I'm satisfied with the sound of the many CDs I own, even if they're not all spectacular or necessarily up to audiophile standards. I appreciate good-sounding music, when I sit down in the living room to listen and relax, I want to listen and relax, and not have to adjust anything but the volume knob.

Jason

22. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I use expensive EQ, or tubes in my main system. When listening through headphones on my portable CD player, I seldom use anything. I admit to adding some judicious EQ through Nero when transfering old radio shows in order to boost intelligibility if necessary, but even then, I apply for "less is more" methodology.

Nothing more pathetic than sharing a listening session with a fellow purist and neither will use a tone control to correct what we both agree is wrong. Been there, done that. Sometimes they just need to be applied.

But, in a perfect world, I prefer things flat and I'll adjust volume (my 1st choice tone control)before I use tone controls.

23. Flatlander

Flatlander Forum Resident

This is exactly what I do with my EQ. Most of the time my main system uses no tone controls at all, but I have the option of some help if I need it. That, plus rolling a few tubes in and out and using the second pre out for a subwoofer (complete with a separate active crossover and amp) has been all the tone controls I need for a good while, now. Older recordings, along with this new loud trend, can sometimes benefit greatly with a little EQ help.

:edthumbs:

P.S.
    I have a 'lower upper mid-fi' receiver in my bedroom and I rarely turn any controls except volume.

24. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

Flat is where it's at.

I had one of those Radio Shack 10 band Equalizers when I was 15 (back in the early 80s). I would jack up the lows and highs to get that boom-hiss sound. Listening to it that way now is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

25. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

On my good stereo, no EQ, but the sub is on for anything below 40hz.

On my computer, I tweak the EQ on everything.

In my car, I listen with a little treble sheared off since my car speakers sound a little too bright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.