Eversolo A6 SSD Card File Transfer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paul_In_WA, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Paul_In_WA

Paul_In_WA Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got an Eversolo A6 and am struggling to figure out how to best get music onto the 2TB SSD card I added. Windows isn't letting me see the A6 as a Network Drive so I can't just copy files over that way. I can use my web browser to access the SSD drive on the A6 but it hangs if I try to drag over more than a few files. Also, I have my music organized in folders by album and it doesn't let me copy over a folder that way. So I could copy over an albums full of FLAC files using the drag and drop but unless I want to manually create a new folder each time I do that I'm going to have one directory with thousands of files, some of which will have conflicting names.

There must be an easier way to do this but I haven't figured it out from the searches I've done. Ideally I would just copy over an entire drive or at least multiple folders from my PC onto the SSD in the A6 but I can't do that from the web interface. And the web interface only lets me copy the actual music and none of the other files that might be in the subfolder with the music.

Any tips or a pointer to a site that might help?

2. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I wish I could help on the windows side, but I'm a mac user.

But if your Eversolo is connected via ethernet, I'd assume any attached drive (including the 2TB MMC) would show up as an SMB share. That's how it works for me.

3. Paul_In_WA

I assume you are suggesting using an Eversolo app on my PC which would have been a great idea and not one I thought of but it turns out there is no PC based app just ios and android. I think the fact that my PC doesn't see it a a network drive is a problem with my Windows setup but I've never figured out how to fix that.

4. terry toww

terry toww Forum Resident

How about one of these?
    https://www.amazon.com.au/SmartMedi...Card+Reader/Writer&qid=1706605571&sr=8-5&th=1
    Allows you to load and format card from PC/Mac then slot into the Eversolo?

5. Paul_In_WA

That is an interesting idea. The one you linked to isn't correct but it did make me realize such a thing might be possible and I found this that probably would work fine. Amazon.com

Eversolo makes you format the card when it is first inserted but maybe that is only true of brand new cards?

6. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

hmm, no, wasn't suggesting any eversolo app... I just see the eversolo's MMC drive in my "network neighborhood" (Is that what it's called in the Windows world?)

Shows up as 'DMP_samba'

Are you getting a permissions error when you enter the ip address in a browser? Or it's just slow when you copy files?

Is this anything?

Controlling DMP-A6 from Laptop

7. Paul_In_WA

In Windows World it is just called Network and no it doesn't show up there. That is more likely a problem with my settings someplace deep in Windows since I only see the drive attached to my Roon core intermittently. I've tried to figure it out but I haven't had any luck so far.

I decided to solve this problem by brute force. I'm copying the files onto an external hard drive and then moving that over to the A6 and hooking it up to its USB port and copying them there. It is slow but it seems to be working. The main thing I lose by this approach is a sensible/organized file directory structure. Even though the A6 lets me create a subdirectory on the SSD I haven't figured out how to copy files to it. Having all the files in the root directory is messy but it seems to be working.

8. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

I just took delivery of my EverSolo DMP-A6 ME last week and here's how I quickly transferred over 600GB of files to the 2TB NVME drive I installed in mine. I invested in a low cost NVME enclosure like this one. I connected it to my PC and created a single NTFS partition. I then copied over all of my digital audio files, which took less than 10 minutes. I removed the NVME drive from the enclosure and installed it into my A6 and the A6 had no problem recognizing all of the files on the drive. Roon scanned them all without a problem and added them to the A6's local library. I ordered a second NVME drive that I put in the enclosure so I can use it as an external media backup drive as well as to transfer future downloads from my laptop to my A6.

Although I didn't try it, the A6's manual also says you can copy files directly from your PC/Laptop to your A6 via a USB interconnect as long as they are authenticated on the same network.

Hope this helps.

9. Vincent Kars

Vincent Kars Forum Resident

10. Paul_In_WA

The problem turned out to be a setting in Windows 11 that wasn't permitting some network devices to be discovered. This video helped me fix it. I haven't rebooted my PC so I'm not 100% sure the fix is sticky.

11. Paul_In_WA

Thanks. That seems like a good solution.

CatManDude likes this.
  12. ksmmike

ksmmike New Member

13. Paul_In_WA

I would be surprised if you can rip files from a Blu-Ray player using Eversolo. I think it only supports an external drive like you would use with a PC. You can buy those for $20-30. And there is no indication in the manual that it supports anything besides USB. I only used the ripping function once and didn't really like how it functioned by default and didn't try to figure out if there were settings that would improve it. I would just rip CD's on a PC and transfer the files over to the SSD card manually.

As for the folders, I was curious about that myself and I still don't have a good answer. I think Eversolo's internal library looks within nested folders for music files but I don't think that folder structure has much to do with how you can find music on the Eversolo. The reason why I don't know that answer for sure is that I no longer have the ability to use the Eversolo app to access the folders/files on the SSD card that I have in my A8. The music is still there and it plays fine and I can access it from Artists, Albums, Tracks, and Library functions but I can no longer access that card from the Files function. That is irritating because I don't have a ton of confidence that the A8 is actually indexing all the music and its search function isn't well designed but it also isn't the end of the world. It hasn't bothered me enough to try and figure out why it is happening or to find a solution to it.

When I got a new PC my problem accessing the internal SSD card on the A8 over my network was solved. The problem I originally posted about was due to problems with my PC. Now it works perfectly and the SSD shows up as a network drive with all the normal functionality so never an A8 issue.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I had CD and SACD rips on a 5TB Western Digital HD and then transferred them to the 4TB internal SSD of the DMP-A6. I had the files already on the 5TB WD HD so it wasn't that big of a deal. It was a challenge for me to figure out but a few members over at the Zidoo (Eversolo) forum were very helpful. You could try joining the forum and posting your questions over there.

Eversolo DMP-A6

15. ksmmike

ksmmike New Member

Thanks for the responses :)

16. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

I simply copied all of the folders from my root media server directory to the NVME drive. They were stored in various folders by artist and album. Roon simply traverses the directories looking for all digital audio related files (mp3, FLAC, WAV, AAC, etc.) and adds them to the library.