Everly Bros. DCC Gold CD / RCA Nashville Studio info/ What's Compression?/Buddy Holly

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by syogusr, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Yes it does... thanks for the detail, Steve!!

Now I have to go clean the bathroom and grab a guitar... does anyone else know "There's a Tavern in the Town"? :D

-Kevin

2. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

"That's right.

Less is more!"

Today this means less human intervention and judgment. Thus we have dialogue normalizaton, and black box formulas for combined dynamic compression, EQ and limiting. This gives us the everything is loud, aren't we a powerful TV and radio station syndrome that everyone is used to and expects as normal. At least it has "cured" the loud commercial "problem". Just try to produce a full frequency response, wide seperation, dynamic music production and play it on today's AM and FM or TV. The worlds often collide.

:rolleyes:

3. Maybe the problem of music being overprocessed, over EQd, over compressed, and over-messed with is due to the salaries that the recording engineers demand. In order to demand a high salary, the engineer has to be able to show the record label the he really knows how to "re-engineer the sound to make the music sound better". Maybe the record labels won't pay an engineer for "keeping his hands off of the music"? After all, why should they pay someone for doing nothing.:rolleyes:

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Maybe I'm just a bit naïve, but I really don't think there's some big conspiracy coming from the label bosses saying "we must make things sound processed. More, I think it's probably "we've been told we need 'mastering engineers' to make things sound better. We'll hire them and let them do what they want." Chances are engineers *will* try to improve things as they see fit. We don't think that's good? Well, not everyone shares our definition of "good", nor does everyone know how to achieve "good" if they wanted to.

5. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Johnny,

Personally, I do not think so. Labels remaster catalog titles in order to create hype and market visability (unit sales) with such nomikers as "newly remastered", "restored from the original master tapes", etc, etc. I believe you will find the reasons for the "overprocessing", which have been well-chronicled in other threads and posts, are more related to the record labels desire to master recordings to sound "good" on low quality reproduction equipment. If your theory were to be correct that would mean that we now have a generation of Engineers out there who sincerely believe that all this "processing" is actually making the music sound better. I hope not!

Bob :eek:

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But we did and do. In the early '90s, EVERYONE (well, not everyone, but a lot of people) was using noise reduction. "Look ma, I can get rid of the hiss!" Most people have wised up since then (in the US) - Joe Gastwirt comes to mind - but many British mastering engineers still swear by it. Jon Astley has won CEDAR "awards", and Peter Mew's bio on www.abbeyroad.co.uk makes a special note that he specializes in "Sonic Solution de-noise".

They really do think it sounds better...

7. Bob Lovely

lukpac,

Thanks for the link!

Bob

8. Well, a lot, if not most, of the music that the young people currently listen to is over-processed. These people think that this is the way music is supposed to sound. When some of them become recording engineers, they may overprocess everything because thats the way they think music is supposed to sound. Yikes!!!:eek:

9. Bob Lovely

Johnny,

well put...

Bob

10. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Did Bill Porter engineer Jim Reeves and Patsy Cline? Most of their recordings appear to have that "sound" or is that just a signature "Nashville sound" from the period that I am hearing?

An idea for the future....a compilation of the "Best of Bill Porter". Certainly would be a fitting tribute to a talented Engineer. Possibly licensing would be onerous.

Thanks!

Bob

11. wes

wes Senior Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!! I want a copy..............:( .....sadly I never got a chance to get this one........and I love the Everly Brothers:mad: Ok, this is my next project to get this album............Does anyone have suggestions on where to look.......besides ebay:) .......................I'll snag it in a second if I find one............My search now begins....................................................................................

-Wes

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bob, you had four studios within four blocks of each other, and the engineers all had lunch together every day. I'm sure the sound of all the studios would have matched up to a point.

Columbia's studio had way too much echo added in their mixes.

Bradley's studio overloaded vocals like crazy.

RCA-Victor had the nicest sound, but be aware that Bill Porter compressed everything much more than the other two studios. Everything is smooth, yes, but the dynamics are totally compromised in the process.

All in all though, the "Bill Porter Sound" has it's charm, and the vocals are always smooth and clean, with hardly any distortion (except on Elvis' last sung phrase of "Surrender". That one even Bill Porter couldn't help!) ;)

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Like on "Rock Around With Ollie Vee"?

14. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Many, many thanks!

Bob :)

15. Steve Hoffman

Any time.

I love talking about this stuff!

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve, I'm learning more and more every day on how they recorded my favorite recordings I enjoy on the radio and in my CD player every day thanks to you. I don't mind all that echo in Columbia's mixes at all nor do I mind the Owen Bradley sound at all, in fact, I love them both as well as Bill Porter's stuff.

17. Steve Hoffman

I'm glad, Bradley.

I think it makes listening to the songs more fun!

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve, I agree it makes listening more fun as well. So much of my collection was recorded in Nashville past and present as you know this kind of music is my specialty in collecting.

19. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

I'd say, IMO, that this is the charm of these recordings. They might be compressed...but they don't have that squashed, fatiguing, no room to breath feel that one would normally associate with a finished, compressed mix. Which leads me to my next question. Did the compression occur strictly on the individual tracks while recording or was the final stereo mixed squashed? I mean, one can use compression on individual tracks (can sometimes work wonders on cheap acoustic guitars) and not still end up with the same negative results of a finished mix thats compressed. It's a creative tool that *can* be used in a good way too.

What I love about the Porter recordings is that wide-band sound that you just don't get nowadays. Standup basses playing in conjunction with electric basses giving true bottom and snap at the same time...not just some one-note variety thud. Cymbals that actually sound like cymbals and not just like air being let out of a tire! I also love the deep echo chamber sound on the center-mixed vocals (particularly some of the Everly's 60's Warner's stuff...Muskrat, Lucille.), and of course the slap-back effects used between the two wide stereo channels that form a nice bed around the center-mixed vocals (again..listen to the intro of "Muskrat"). Some very creative use of echo and tape delay there!

20. Steve Hoffman

Oh yeah, I agree.

Remember, his mix WAS live to two-track. He had a two-track and a three-track machine going at the same time, everything being mixed, with echo, slap, eq and compression added right as it was happening (live in the studio) on both machines.

The two-track tape is therefore the same generation as the three-track back up. Cool, eh?

21. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Steve, refresh my memory if you could. What did Bill Porter tell you was the reason for the bizarre stereo mixes of Poor Jenny and Take A Message To Mary - creating that center, phantom channel illusion that they did? Something about knocking one of the channels out of phase. These are two of the weirdest 1959 stereo mixes I've ever heard and need my memory refreshed!

Also, do you know if he still lectures at the college level? This guy should really write a book!

22. Steve Hoffman

Remember, Bill didn't do those two Everly songs. They were done by an earlier engineer without a proper stereo console. The guy was just winging it. I think they hired Bill soon after.

I know that RCA didn't have a stereo console when "Poor Jenny" was recorded, because Bill Porter's first job at RCA in Nashville was to hand build one! So, he built it (the way he wanted it) and made sure that the stereo image was "natural", with plenty of center fill. In fact, one can ALWAYS tell a Bill Porter RCA-Victor Studio mix by the drums being in the center of the stereo image. Bill told me that the drum channel was "hard wired" to play in the center, and no one could move it anywhere else!

Imagine back in 1960 when Elvis recorded in there for the first time. All live, TWO drummers, the Jordanaires, bass, piano, guitars, electric bass and whatever else the song called for.

Porter HAD NO SECOND. In other words, he did everything; set the mics in the studio up, thread up the tapes, hit record, (on both machines); announce the take numbers, EVERYTHING. All with the RCA-Victor execs standing behind him breathing down his neck.

Nerves of steel I tell ya!

BTW, that is Bill's voice on the "slate" of "Such A Night" on the ELVIS IS BACK disc.

23. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

If you're looking for Everly Bros. Best (DCC)...

Better get on over to CDNow while they still have
    some. Got one this week.

24. wes

wes Senior Member

Ah, I'll head over there right now.....thanks

-Wes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.