Eurythmics remastered at last!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OberonOz, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Got the 'Ultimate Collection' last week. Played it on my DVD player through my TV's built in sound system and it didn't sound too bad although it didn't sound that great either. Don't know what to think of it.

2. DavidinAustin

DavidinAustin New Member

Am listening to In The Garden, the debut that I realize I had never heard. More techno than later Eurythimcs albums, but a lot of fun... really of a time and place, I suppose. Great guitar work. And it sounds terrific to me. I'll pick up some more of these remasters, perhaps in order.

Really like the packaging too, lots of photos and info. Just like a little record.

Any comments on the new songs released on the Ultimate Collection ?

3. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I got the box set that was released in Europe with all 8 albums and I love it. The packaging on each disc is great, and the box to house them all in is very cool as well. I'm pleased with the remastering. I also picked up the Ultimate Collection as it has all the single edits of the hits, and a couple new tunes. The new single "I've Got A Life" is a great tune - it was also the first video I downloaded for my video iPod!

Of course, I just made my own "best of" on my CD recorder (to listen to in the car) and added in the songs "Beethoven (I Love To Listen To)," "Don't Ask Me Why" and "Angel."

4. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I picked up the remastered "Touch" today here in Australia, and it's great. Sounds better than my old vinyl version. I don't have the old CD to compare to. The packaging is bloody terrific too. This really is a great record - it's held up very well after two decades. There's not a dud song on the album.

I'll be checking out more of these soon...

5. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I don't know, seems my vinyl versions sound better, not so brash.

I bought five of these and reget it... wish I had bought the box set instead!
    I'll probably pick up the other three soon. The extra tracks are great so is the packaging, also didn't realise how much I liked Annie Lennox's singing.

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Too cheap apparently....

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to obtain the following item(s)
    on your order, 5439424. Please be aware that an "Add to Bag" button does not
    guarantee an item will be available, but we do make every attempt to completely
    fulfill orders.

Your purchase information appears below.

Ship to:

USA

The following item(s) has been canceled:

1 CD Collectors Box Set (8CD), Eurythmics 0.00

7. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

A couple of comments on the remasters.

A little bright, but I prefer that to the opposite

While I hate Digipaks I do like the revised graphics packaging. Wouldn't it have made sense though to do the "Ultimate Collection" as a digipak too?

"Here Comes The Rain Again" - where is the full length version? It was included on the "Greatest Hits" package. Also the acoustic version on the "Lily Was Here" soundtrack would have made a great bonus cut - credited to Ann Lennox. Perhaps it will make it on the Annie Lennox reissues (I am not sure that more recent recordings need remastering) someday. These too could have some killer bonus tracks: Step By Step, Love Song For A Vampire, In The West, etc.

Someone said something about being No-Noised: yes, Angel (choir version) has definitely been cleaned up, but I always had the feeling it was a pseudo-demo. Shouldn't No-Noise (if used at all) be primarily used on pre 80s recordings?

8. Khorn

I gave the new 'Eurythmics Ultimate Collection' RCA 828767992 a quick listen for the first time since getting my amp back and system up and running.

I must say I'm not a happy camper as I find the disc exhibits the dreaded "in your face, wall of sound" sonics as compared to my older "Eurythmics Greatest Hits" RCA KCD1-0610 CD. I find the older disc much smoother sounding and far more "detailed".

9. A pleasant surprise for me today. I realized my copy of "Revenge" is an old RCA (I knew that), and it's a Japan pressing. Giving it a good listen to tonight, I don't feel a need to run out and buy the remaster. Can anyone who owns the new remaster of "Revenge" give me an idea if I should bother with the remaster on this particular title?

10. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

Any comment on the new remaster compared to early Western Germany version?

11. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The bonus tracks were the deciding factor for me. If you don't want the remixes, then who needs more digipaks? I bought them because of the remixes. I only bought Revenge and Savage.

12. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

13. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Has anyone gotten the Touch remaster with the Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) booklet inserted by mistake? I've seen two copies with this problem!

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. Works out to around US$6 per disc once the VAT is removed. And given the way Amazon has this entered into their database, it appears that it only counts as a single cd in terms of shipping cost rather than the 8 cds that the box contains. A great deal. I know that the mastering is supposed to be not so great, but I couldn't resist at this price -- just to get those bonus tracks. I figure that I could probably end up reselling it for what I'm paying anyway, so if I really dislike the way it sounds then I'll just trade it in at Amoeba or put it up for sale on Amazon's Marketplace.

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Items: £23.80
    Postage & Packing: £3.08

Total before VAT: £26.88

USA value 47.0870

16. Khorn

I decided to re-listen to the new ‘Eurythmics Ultimate Collection’ hoping maybe my first impressions might have been misjudged. I was comparing it to the earlier release Eurythmics Greatest Hits CD.

I concentrated on the “Sweet Dreams” cut as this is one of the ones I like best. The difference is rather drastic. On the earlier “Greatest Hits” CD “Sweet Dreams” is a coherent, detailed and musically involving and really enjoyable experience. On the “Ultimate Collection” the same cut is a veiled and in some respects a dead yet hard presentation consisting of individually detached “sections” and very musically “fatiguing”.

Considering they probably used the same master tapes I can’t understand how they have taken such a backward step and messed something up so badly in the name of “progress”.

I was hoping I would have been wrong but what a disappointment the new “re-mastering turned out to be.

Thank heaven I held on to the earlier “Greatest Hits”. I appreciate it much more now.

17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't have the Ultimate Collection, but I did recently receive the box with all of the remastered cds. I assume that the mastering is the same.

Quite frankly, I wasn't prepared for how awful these discs would be. They sound okay when I'm in another room, but it's extremely difficult to enjoy them while sitting in the same room as the speakers. Compressed, hard, fatiguing...in other words, bleh. I'm not sure that it would even be made listenable with re-EQing. They probably sound great on a boom box or a low-fi stereo, though. :sigh: I'm not even sure that it's worth ripping the bonus tracks to make my own compilation of them before trading the box in at Amoeba. I'm just glad I got this at a significant discount as I'll probably be able to get almost all of my money back in trade credit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.