Eurythmics remastered at last!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OberonOz, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm happy with the original CD's also...enough to pass.

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I played Sweet Dreams CD and it's not bad, but still there is plenty of room for improvement. I guess I would give em a chance if the reviews are good.

3. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Yeah! I got a 3" CD off Ebay a while back that had a 12" remix of Sexcrime that rocked! An expanded remaster of 1984 would have to include these single only tracks and perhaps some that might be lingering in the vault from the sessions. However, now that the Eurythmics music has been stripped from the movie and replaced with the director's originally intended music, I guess the whole project leaves a few bad memories for the band. :shake:

4. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Hey... that's good to hear. I think I'll add the originals to my list. (don't have any of the individual albums yet).

5. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

6. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Got my order in.

8. Lightness

Lightness New Member

The "Ultimate Collection" is about 79:55 and was remastered by Ian Cooper in London. The sound quality is much better than my old "Greatest Hits" CD.

Lightness

9. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

I got these a year back, for the original release date prior to the delay and wasn't hugely impressed. The sound was quite mechanical and the remasters didn't appear to add much warmth. I've not played them for some time so my opinion may have been slightly jaded since, but they didn't strike me as an urgent investment for anyone with the old discs.

10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

It's gone up now.
    http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3343578
    I wonder if they will still honor the old price for my order. According to their policies, I should get an email about any price increase and then be able to chose if I still want it.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So, how's the copy-protection?:)

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Won't know until Tuesday I guess.

13. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member Thread Starter

According to Dave Stewart it was left out because the remasters in this current series are all through SonyBMG and the 1984 soundtrack is through Virgin. So they are not the same record companies. He did suggest that they will try and get this remastered at some time in
    the future though.

Steve

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Weren't there pictures of the CDs on here a few days ago? Where did they go?

update: Woops. Disregard. It's a link and I found it later.

15. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I noticed there are bonus tracks that weren't added: "Rich Girl" (B-side of "Don't Ask Me Why" - no, not the Hall & Oates song), the extended version of "You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart" both come to mind. Also the excellent acoustic version of "Here Comes The Rain Again" on the "Lily Was Here" soundtrack. Is Mr. Stewart saving some stuff for a boxed set?

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I sure hope this is true

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

So has anyone played one yet? I am playing Revenge, the only one I bought so far. $13.99 at Circuit City. Best Buy doesn't have 'em since I guess they just go for "Greatest Hits" packages over there.

18. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Would love to hear any reviews! :wave:

19. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Nov16th: Has anyone found these for sale in Canada? I tried Future Shop, Sunrise and HMV locally - No luck.

20. markl

markl Senior Member

...and your thought are..?

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Have nothing else to compare it to. The last 2 minutes of the extended Missionary Man just sounds dreamy through the Wadia unit, almost like a SACD.

I liked it enough that I went back to CC today to get Savage. Saw it there yesterday but now it's gone. They only stocked one of each. Went to a local store and they had one of each also, and for $12.99. So bought it there. They still had them all. When I called the store to check on price and availability I had to spell Eurythmics to the clerk. She's never heard of them.

22. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member Thread Starter

Ive been somewhat frustrated lately as all the local music stores and chains have professed total ignorance of the new Eurythmics remasters. Their computers tell them there arent any coming - so Im told. Nothing at all. Even though a couple of local web retailers have listed them as being released November 14 sonymusic.com.au frustratingly manages to tell you NOTHING about the remasters, and only one recent news article about the upcoming ULTIMATE COLLECTION.

Imagine then my surprise and joy to walk into one of said local music stores to discover the discs they didnt know existed three days previously are in the racks! I bought four of them right off the bat!! :D
    I would have bought more but they didnt have TOUCH or REVENGE, so I bought SWEET DREAMS, BE YOURSELF TONIGHT, SAVAGE and WE TOO ARE ONE.

Ive been listening to them nonstop since I bought them! They are beautifully packaged and sound GREAT to my ears! Particularly SAVAGE and WE TOO ARE ONE. These are both brilliant albums and Im stunned that the new ULTIMATE COLLECTION wont have any tracks from WTAO on it at all!
    However.... sonically its a beautiful sounding set to me, as are all the discs. I dont feel theyre compressed overly at all. They seem clear with a lot of dynamics - and in listening to the Choir Mix of ANGEL there was definite hiss in the background - not distractingly so, but noticeable.
    Id have to say that for me these discs are an unqualified success. Now the hunt is on for TOUCH and REVENGE. While I will almost certainly get IN THE GARDEN [which I dont have at all] and PEACE [even though Im not sure how much remastering a recent album like this NEEDS] just to make the set complete. Im sure you all know how that goes! <grin>
    I will be interested to see what everyone else has to say about these discs. I just wish they were SACD Hybrid 5.1 discs. Then they really would have been perfect.
    CHeers

Steve

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I got Sweet Dreams AND Touch.... wonderful packaging and the sound improvements are amazing against the old pressings!!!

One of the best remasters in 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Any more opinions on the remasters?

25. markl

markl Senior Member

OK, the remastered Ultimate Collection is in. Mastered by Ian Cooper at Metropolis. It sounds OK (not great), but I'm wondering where the hiss is. I suspect *subtle* no-noising. Carefully done, not obvious. It's missing some "crispness" and "focus". It has tell-tale signs of no-noising, stripping away the edges and the air, combined with a total boost of the remaining high-end to cover it up. The result is incoherent and thin.

There are people on this site who firmly state that no-noising done *right* can sound good; this may be an example of no-noising employed with all the skill possible, yet the result still bears its stamp, and I'm noit sure that's acceptable. To me, something is missing. Because of the way these songs are recorded, I can't verify if hiss has been stripped, I'd like to get others verification.

If it's not subtle, carefully-applied no-noising, there's still something not quite right about this. It's a bit hissy (not referring to tape hiss), sibilant, tinny and hollow-sounding. In any case, there are frequency anomolies, it's in no way "flat".

I don't like it... :cry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.