Essential Barry Diament masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vonwegen, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Thanks, brother Dave!:wave: How my 1/4 analog tape mixes sound good unmastered through cheap Sony converters I'll never know. But I agree, it really sounds better than many other discs.

2. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Marky,

Thank you for your interest in my own recordings. To answer your question, things are going quite well. I have two new projects I'm starting on soon and am in the midst of searching for the right space in which to record them.

To get your hands on something, please visit the Soundkeeper website.

You can safely change record levels to avoid increased hiss but this will make the mixdown a bit more difficult.
    Is it really that much hiss? I guess it depends on how objectionable you find it to be. If I was recording analog, I'd set my levels (as always) by the loudest sounds -to avoid overload- and in order to preserve maximum dynamics, let the rest fall where they may.

As mentioned above, visit Soundkeeper for my own stuff.
    To hear the technique applied to multi-track with overdubs, etc., check out "Simplicity".

To read a bit more about techniques that were applied on "Simplicity", check out Recording in Stereo (Part 2).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

3. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Ours are different probably because you have the Def Jam version and I have the American version.

FWIW, catalog number is 314 586 797-2 and matrix is 314 586 7972 01!

Does yours also say "Mastered by Howie Weinberg" above the Barry CD credit?

4. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

I should have said "signal to noise" instead of hiss. In my normal world, I always set the input level to be as loud as I can get away with. If I do the "Diament-method" I only have good signal to noise on the tracks that are close-mic'd. So I'm not really adding any hiss, but I also can't drown it out like I normally try to do.
    I've weened myself off of DBX lately. If I went back to it, I probably wouldn't worry so much.

Thanks for the links, my friend. Very cool. Art has an incredible voice and a sweet style. "World is Spinning" is a great track with an almost Jerry Garcia vocal quality. "How Long" could've been a Lost Lennon track. "Until We Meet Again" has the most gorgeous melody.

Everybody here owes it to themselves to check this out. Crank it up too- the Diamnyamics are incredible.

Barry, how do you use effects? Are they ever ran live to the room? Any vocals ever put through any guitar amps or anything?

Also, if everything actually was recorded live- would the musicians actually have the physical room to stand where they did during the overdubs? This is a hard question to word- but, say when double tracking vocals, is Art standing in two different spots where idealistaclly two Arts would exist? When a lead acoustic guitar is dubbed- would it be hitting Art in the face if he was singing with him live in the same location?

Peace Love and Thanks, Barry!
    Marky

5. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Damn the 15 minute edit limit, I still don't see the point of it. Anyway, this is what I wanted to add:

UGH!! I just popped it in, this is NOT the Diament version as advertised, this is the modern remaster. Yuck. Well, that sucks. I had a little bit of a hassle with this auction (I put the wrong address in so the package got sent back to the seller, and he had to re-send it back to me) and when I came home last night I was so excited that it got here and is in NM condition described that I gave my feedback without even listening to it. Oh well, the search continues then...

6. bdiament

Hi hushypushy,

Are you saying the "modern remaster" still has me credited (blamed?) albeit with my last name spelled wrong?

Best regards,
    Barry

7. bdiament

Hi Marky,

If you're combining close mic'ed tracks with some recorded in stereo per my description (which I should have re-read in your earlier post), there is no need to even try for consistency in levels during recording. In other words, feel free to goose the record level for the distant parts. There will be no harm.
    Return to DBX only if you like what it does to the sound of your recordings.
    Personally, I'd add noise before using that device. :rolleyes:

On the things for Soundkeeper, no but on something like "Simplicity", as you can hear, there are lots of effects. How and when they are applied really depends on the sound I'm looking for.

The synth on "How Long" went through an amp placed deep and left in the room. (I don't ever use direct inject for anything.)

Drums and percussion are a combination of real ones and some samples, depending on the song. Samples were played back via the Magnepan 1.6 speakers in Art's studio and the speakers were mic'ed (slightly differently than the usual stereo array arrangement -- here, each mic was about 2 feet from and directly in front of each speaker).

Things like vocal echo were added during the mixdown.

As mentioned in "Recording in Stereo (Part 2)", with this technique, every part must consider where every other part comes from and no two parts can occupy the same real space in the studio. Art's studio does have room for everyone to stand where they would appear to be standing. (I can only see this being a problem in a tiny room.)

Therefore, Art did stand in two different spots to do two different vocals. The guitar part was done from another place --or from where Art stood during one of the vocal parts. It wouldn't be hitting him in the face because he isn't holding the guitar near his face.

The mics are placed once and left there for the duration of all the recorded parts. The guitar, held in the normal position --well below the face :sigh: -- comes from the height of the guitar. Nothing is held up to mic level and the mics do not change level for different parts --just as I never kneel down on the floor to hear a bass drum... can hear it just fine while standing.

Hope this makes it a bit more clear.
    And if it is of any help, I'm glad.

Best regards,
    Barry

8. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

YES! Very confusing the way the credits are listed. I have both the original release and the remaster. The remaster catalogue and matrix number and name misspelling are exactly as you have posted. Although, my unremastered is apparently not a first pressing. Catalogue# is the same as what oldschool posted, no name misspelling in the booklet but matrix# is 1 24203-2 SRC+01 *M4 S1...wish I knew how to decipher these numbers a little better...:rolleyes:

hushypushy, on a sidenote, in a situation like this, it is okay to return the CD to its owner for a refund isn't it?

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Is it a safe assumption that any CD that has the blurb 'The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment' on the back cover, and uniform, not-exactly-target label design, is the version we're looking for, i.e., mastered in the 1980s by Barry Diament?

Is it a safe assumption that I was crazy to sell all of these in 1997 because I believed Michael Fremer when he said "CDs suck"? (So little time, so much kool-aid.)

telepicker97 likes this.
  10. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Thanks again, Barry. It was incredibly well done. :thumbsup:
    Sorry if I made you explain youself again. It's been awhile since I read the article and these things came to my mind as I was listening to the samples.

I've been applying the concept when I can but I'm still a little rusty.

Peace Love and Diaments and rust.:winkgrin:
    Marky

11. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

This is probably a second pressings.

My Reign in Blood has a similar cat. #, but still has Barry's mastering. Honestly, I could not find a difference with the first DIDX-2036 pressing (which I also had at some point).

12. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Updated with three Linda Ronstadt/Nelson Riddle albums, Yes "Drama" and one Nico removed.
    Anyone feel free to make changes as necessary :wave:

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    AC/DC - Back In Black
    AC/DC - For Those About To Rock
    AC/DC - Who Made Who

Bad CompanyBad Company
    Bad CompanyStraight Shooter
    Bad Company10 out of 6
    The Blues Brothers - Briefcase Full Of Blues (CD) Atlantic, WEA International Inc.
    Tommy Bolin - The Ultimate CD
    Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars (CD, Album) Geffen Records

John Cage & The Arditti Quartet - The Complete String Quartets, Vol. 1 (CD, Album) Mode
    Chic - C'est Chic (?)
    The Coasters - The Ultimate Coasters (maybe)
    Cowboy Mouth - Word of Mouth
    Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja vu
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - So Far

Danzig - Danzig (CD, Album) American Recordings
    Dr. Fiorella Terenzi - Music From The Galaxies (CD) Island Records (US)
    Dokken - Under Lock And Key (CD) Elektra
    Dokken - Breaking The Chains (CD, Album) Elektra
    Dokken - Under Lock & Key

The EaglesThe Eagles (CD)
    The Eagles Desperado CD
    The Eagles - Hotel California CD
    The EaglesThe Long Run (CD)
    The Eagles - Greatest Hits (?)
    The Eagles - Greatest Hits Volume 2 (?)
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD) Atlantic
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (CD, Album) Atlantic, Columbia House
    Enya - Watermark

Aretha Franklin - best of (?)

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (?)
    Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail
    Genesis - Duke
    Genesis - Abacab
    Genesis - Three Sides Live
    The Georgia Satellites - The Gerogia Satellites CD, Album) Elektra
    Guns’N’Roses - Appetite For Destruction (CD, Album) Geffen Records
    Guns’N’Roses - G N' R Lies (CD) Geffen Records, BMG Direct Marketing, Inc.

Hex - Hex (CD, Album) First Warning Records
    Hex (LP) Demon Records 1990

INXS - Listen Like Thieves (CD, Album) Atlantic

Grace Jones - Island Life

Keeler - Autofocus (CD) Great Orm Productions
    Tommy Keene - Based On Happy Times CD
    Kitaro - The Light Of The Spirit (CD, Album) Geffen Records, Geffen Records
    KMFDM - Glory (CD) Wax Trax! Records, TVT Records

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (CD, Album) Atlantic
    Led Zeppelin - II
    Led Zeppelin - III
    Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (2xCD) Swan Song
    Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same (2xCD) Swan Song
    Led Zeppelin - Presence (CD,Album) Atlantic, Swan Song
    Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door
    Led Zeppelin - Coda

Bob Marley - Catch A Fire (CD) Tuff Gong
    Bob Marley - Burnin'
    Bob Marley - Natty Dread
    Bob Marley - Live! (CD, Album) Tuff Gong, Island Records
    Bob Marley - Rastaman Vibration (CD) Tuff Gong
    Bob Marley - Exodus
    Bob Marley - Kaya (CD) Tuff Gong, Island Records
    Bob Marley - Babylon By Bus
    Bob Marley - Survival (CD, Album) Tuff Gong, Island Records
    Bob Marley - Uprising (CD) Island Records (Germany)
    Bob Marley - Confrontation (CD) Tuff Gong, Island Records
    Bob Marley - Legend

Mike + The Mechanics - Mike + The Mechanics
    Mötley Crüe - Too Fast For Love (CD, Album) Hip-O Records, Mötley Records

Nico - The Marbel Index
    Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (TVT Records)
    Nu Shooz - Poolside (CD)

Of Cabbages And Kings - Hunter's Moon (CD) Les Disques Du Soleil Et De L'Acier, Triple X Records
    Of Cabbages And Kings - Never Too Late (CD) Triple X Records
    Benjamin Orr - The Lace (CD, Album) Elektra

Robert PalmerRiptide CD

The Rascals - Ultimate CD
    Ratt - Dancing Undercover (CD) Atlantic
    Otis Redding - Ultimate Otis Redding CD
    Linda Ronstadt - Simple Dreams
    Linda Ronstadt - What's New
    Linda Ronstadt - Lush Life
    Linda Ronstadt - For Sentimental Reasons

Simply Red - Men And Women
    Slayer - South Of Heaven (CD, Album) American Recordings 2002
    Slayer - Reign in Blood
    Stacey Q - Better Than Heaven
    The Sun And The Moon - Sun And The Moon (CD, Album) Geffen Records

Pete Townshend - All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes
    Pete Townshend - Psychoderelict (CD, Album) Atlantic 1993
    Pete Townshend - White City
    Pete Townshend - Deep End Live
    Pete Townshend - Scoop (?)
    Pete Townshend - Another Scoop (?)

Underworld - Born Slippy (CD) Wax Trax! Records, TVT Records
    U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky (CD, Album) Island Masters
    U2 - October (CD) Island

Various - Atlantic Soul Classics
    Various - Stand By Me (soundtrack)
    Various - Woodstock - Music From The Original Soundtrack And More (2xCD) Atlantic

Work Of Art - Lift (Soundkeeper Recordings - SR4001)
    Work Of Art - Simplicity (Sword in the Stone Records - SSR54)

Yes - The Yes Album
    Yes - Close To The Edge (CD, Album) Atlantic
    Yes - Drama
    Yes - 90125

Warren Zevon - A Quiet Normal Life: The Best Of Warren Zevon (CD) Asylum

13. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Yeah, it's pretty weird. They don't credit you enough for the recordings that sound fantastic, but they do credit you for a remaster that sounds nothing like your work :confused:

I've attached a photo I took of the booklet. I'm assuming that Howie Weinberg did the remaster? He's also credited in my Reign in Blood remaster, I assume he did both around the same time. I don't really understand why it has a Mastering credit and a CD Mastering credit though.

Yeah, I think it is. The description specifically says ORIGINAL ISSUE and I didn't get that. However like I also mentioned, I had originally put the wrong address so it got returned to the seller and I had to send some messages back and forth...he was really nice about it and sent it back no charge, but I really don't want to deal with it. Plus, I think I'd like to keep it on hand in case I need it for reference/comparison, for when I get the original version.

Maybe I should just put up a want-ad here, I'm having no luck with the stores in the city or with eBay :help:

Attached Files:

14. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

Anita Baker's Rapture: Barry did this classic 80s soul album-right?

15. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Weinberg is credited also on the original releases of RIB and SOH. He probably did the vinyl for these (while Barry did the CDs), and the CD for Seasons.

Btw, Barry's SOH sounds spectacular :)

16. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident Thread Starter

A note of caution for all AC/DC fans who don't already have the now-classic Diament mastering of Back in Black - I ran across this old post (but it's new info for me, and therefore I think it needs to be included in this thread as well):

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2769096&postcount=64

17. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

I can only advise anyone remotely interested in the Barry Diament mastering catalog to emphatically ignore the above post by vonwegen.

The record was set straight by Barry himself. The Atlantic 16018-2 IS Barry's mastering.

18. vonwegen

Damn, you beat me to it...

Oh well. :shrug:

But do remember this:

19. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Maybe we can get a Gort to remove all four of these posts? ;)

20. vonwegen

:edthumbs: Got my vote! :wave:

21. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

My copy of Watermark sounds super but I could not see Barry's name in the credits. Then again the credits are handwritten in tiny elfen script.

22. bdiament

Hi hushypushy,

I am very grateful for those listeners who can tell the difference.

Best regards,
    Barry

23. bdiament

24. bdiament

Hi Taxman,

I was never credited for my mastering of both the original CD of "Watermark" and the "re-issue" with added songs. (I don't know if it has since been mastered yet again.)

"Watermark" was actually one of the very first, if not the very first, digital recording I heard that had any apparent sense of depth in the image.

Best regards,
    Barry

25. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Hi Barry,

Do you have any idea who mastered an early CD called "Superstars in Digital"? Some of the tracks on there are among the best-mastered CD tracks I've ever heard. Fleetwood Mac's "Hold Me," Paul Simon's "Allergies," Yes's "Owner of a Lonely Heart" are just three examples. I have a sneaking suspicion you may have been involved. Whoever did it, it's a wonder!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.