Essential Barry Diament masterings (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Jun 26, 2010.

1. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Shouldn`t there be come Clash CD`s on this list?

2. George P

George P Notable Member

No, Barry Diament did not master any of The Clash CDs.

dee likes this.
  3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I like the 1991 reissue, same cat #, "faces" cover, better. Remastered by Bill Inglot & Ken Perry.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

5. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Oh, confused him with Vic Ansini.

Sorry

mdm08033 likes this.
  6. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I list the Barry Diament version of Face Value as having the following EAC Peak Levels (Barry Diament is uncredited in the booklet):

95.5 / 79.4 / 100.0 / 57.7 / 86.1 / 95.5 / 96.2 / 72.9 / 100.0 / 93.3 / 95.5 / 94.6
    Pressed by: ICM G1 (CH for EU) with matrix: 7567 16029-2 2893 311 02 ✳ with a pressing date of 1986

I believe the pressings of Face Value with EAC Peak Levels of:

93.3 / 77.6 / 97.7 / 56.4 / 84.2 / 93.3 / 94.0 / 71.2 / 97.7 / 91.2 / 93.3 / 92.4
    Cinram disc (#950124HH CD-16029 L382)
    is a straight level shift (math yields 2.3% for each track). The CD listed in post #147 with the above peak values has an IFPI Code of L382 (therefore pressed post 1994). Level shifts need to be made from an original.

Based on the above information I still believe my original conclusion is correct and the ICM G1 pressing I own is one of the pressings mastered by Barry Diament.

Perhaps I've added clarification--all of the Diament threads are long and can offer alternate opinions varying with time.

I'd love to hear from other Forum members who can confirm or have alternate views.

Solace likes this.
  7. Moose1216

Moose1216 Forum Resident

Have the specific Foreigner cd's Barry mastered been outlined somewhere? Plugged around and haven't been able to find specifics....there are a few 80's versions of each of title listed with what appear to be different masterings for each.

8. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Stevie Nicks--The Wild Heart has two masterings with one being the Diament.

Reference:
    Target CDs That Have a Unique Mastering
    Hoffman Forum Link: Target CDs That Have a Unique Mastering
    Post #894: Stevie Nicks - The Wild Heart - WG Target

This "Essential Barry Diament masterings (Part 2)" is continued from Jun 26, 2010 and the Part 1 link is no longer available.

Does ANYONE know if the Diament master is the WG Target or another mastering?

I own the WG Target (Stevie Nicks--The Wild Heart)

Modern 90084-2, 50071-2
    Label: Atco green target on pink; with outer mirror band
    Matrix: PolyGram, 2292 50071-2 2893 190 01
    Barcode: 075679008428
    EAC: 63.1 / 60.8 / 55.1 / 49.0 / 50.1 / 70.5 / 56.4 / 58.5 / 58.6 / 44.5

olinko likes this.
  9. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

10. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Thank you Larry B...
    From Essential Barry Diament masterings (Part 1)

Barry Diament states (#443 Jun 15, 2008):
    For Stevie Nicks, I think it was at least the first two, "Belladonna" and "Wild Heart" (in both cases, from EQd limited copies created during vinyl mastering).
    The CD booklets of both Bella Donna and The Wild Heart state: Mastered by Stephen Marcussen at Precision Lacquer which is likely a holdover LP mastering credit.

So my question remains: Does ANYONE know if the Diament master is the WG Target or another mastering?

Perhaps someone could post an alternate pressing and EAC.

11. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi. Stevie Nicks - Wild Heart WG Polygram targets (both the one released in Europe and the one released in the U.S.) are the same mastering as the Sanyo Japan for U.S. They have the same EAC peaks. Sanyo Japan is from 1985, when Barry was working at WCI Group.

12. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Just revisited this CD today after many years of neglecting it - and remembered how great it is not just the music but the mastering. Very smooth and natural yet also detailed - and huge dynamic range which is particularly crucial for Jamal’s music which is all about shifts from louder to softer playing often on a dime and use of space. Nicely done Mr. Diament!

bug2362, azideam, SKean and 3 others like this.
  13. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Was there every any confirmation about the Aerosmith single disc? (Angel)

wayneklein likes this.
  14. Always preferred Barry’s mastering for the second and Under a Blood Red Sky U2 albums to later ones.

rochacrimson, bug2362 and mdm08033 like this.