Essential Barry Diament masterings (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Jun 26, 2010.

1. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I will post some EAC levels later tonight when I get off work

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks.

Any visual cues will be especially helpful.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

bump

4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I admittedly haven't read much of this thread or any of the older one, but ... are there are bad sounding discs by Barry? (Other than the sources he was given.)

Personally, and I don't want to give Barry a big head :), but out of all the mastering engineers out there, Barry's work seems to be the most consistently high quality. IMO. :righton:

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If it's on Atlantic, it should be Barry's mastering.

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Is this now a Master List of all Barry's Masterings? If so I thought the original concept was essential masterings. Maybe the title needs a change?

I think this thread should be about singling out the best of the best; For example Barry's CD mastering of Croce's Photographs and Memories sounds a bit better to me than the same material on both the DCC and Readers Digest CD's. But if this is list of everything then the outstanding stuff simply gets lost in the din.

Kevin,

Howard Jones - Dream Into Action, does not sound especially good, pedestrian at best, although it is smooth. I've no clue if it's the gen of source tape used or the recording itself but the fact remains it's only essential if you have to have that album on CD. IIRC it's still the only CD mastering ever available in the US.

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yes all non-remastered Atlantic's are the same mastering.

Peak level 87.0 %
    Peak level 87.0 %
    Peak level 87.0 %
    Peak level 87.0 %
    Peak level 87.0 %
    Peak level 87.0 %
    Peak level 89.1 %
    Peak level 87.0 %
    Peak level 87.0 %
    Peak level 87.0 %

8. steeler1979

Here are the peak levels for "The Long Run" for comparison:

West German target cd / Barry Diament version

1. 72.4% 100.0%

2. 56.3% 79.6%

3. 69.0% 97.4%

4. 68.7% 97.0%

5. 65.8% 92.9%

6. 69.4% 98.1%

7. 67.4% 95.2%

8. 59.6% 84.2%

9. 72.4% 100.0%

10. 59.1% 83.5%

Once again, I think the West German target cd is a great sounding disc. It sounds very dry and analog, which is a beautiful thing. After comparing the disc with what I believe is the Barry Diament version, I just feel the BD version is more spacious with better overall stereo imaging. As I said before, think of the BD version of "In the Air Tonight" vs. the original version and to me, it's an appropriate analogy.

(The version I ripped into EAC as what I believe is the BD version is an import CRC version with catalog E2 508 252 181. Please correct me if this is not the same as the standard USA version or if you know of other masterings of this cd)

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks Steeler. :wave:

10. steeler1979

You're very welcome sir ;)

11. Taylan

Taylan Forum Resident

I'd love to see some catalog # so we can search out which CD's to get that was mastered by BD and not waste money on remasters etc, is there any site that can help?

12. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

Isn't the target version of The Long Run the same mastering but with a 3dB reduction?

13. steeler1979

Upon comparison, that is not my impression. Maybe I should level match them just to be sure. I will post some clips a little later and get some more opinions.

14. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

I have both and I will be doing the same.

On a side note: I hope everyone performs ALL comparisons after careful level matching. That is as important, if not more, as knowing the system each person uses.

15. steeler1979

Rite on :righton: I do a wav. file comparison also through my Sony Soundforge program. I am pretty sure they are different, but report back here for sure and let me know what you think!

16. steeler1979

Ok....Tell me what you guys think. Here's 3 sound clips for you to compare. I wish Barry would chime in with his opinion...hint hint :) Are they the same mastering just level adjusted?

Here is the original West German target cd snippet:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/uwJAGv7s/I_Cant_Tell_You_Why__WG_snippe.html

Here is the regular USA version (definitely Barry Diament mastering):

http://www.4shared.com/audio/d5mcOp10/I_Cant_Tell_You_Why__BD_snippe.html

Here is the original West German target cd version level shifted to equal the volume of the USA version:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/Oz1ZzLbr/I_Cant_Tell_You_Why__WG_adjust.html

17. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Steeler1979- One other way to tell is to blow up the same identical section in a wav editor. At very high magnification, I do believe even a level shifted version of the same mastering will look the same (other than the level shift). But you have to do it at high mag. If you look at the entire song (low mag), that might not tell you, because if it's time shifted, the wav editor can't show every sample, and it most likely won't show the same identical samples for both masterings if one has been time shifted. Hard to explain but hopefully that makes sense. :)

18. JonasR

JonasR Forum Resident

This album is so good, I just have to ask...

In this post BD makes a comment about the master tapes:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3117241&postcount=3
    That should make it clear? Or is there some other post on the forum from B Diament which I have failed to find that says the opposite?

19. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I just compared the original Phil Collins LP "No Jacket Required" to Barry Diament's mastered CD version and it's difficult to tell the difference between the two formats > one of the best CD masterings I've heard to match the vinyl counterpart > great job by Barry.

Dave McKay likes this.
  20. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

In the first thread of 'Barry Diaments essential masterings', Barry wrote he was also the master engineer of 'Head on the Door' of the Cure. He told he did the original job, so that must be 1985. After ordering the 1985 issue of that album in the US I found out that the master engineer of that Elektra album was a certain Dave Allen.
    Can someone, maybe Barry, shine a light on this small mystery?

21. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Bump. I really would like to know more about the right Barfy Diament issue of the Cure's Head on the Door. See also the post before. Who can help me out?

22. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Echo,

Last time I was Barfy was many years ago, after visiting one winery too many. :sigh:

If I recall correctly, there is no CD mastering credit on "The Head On The Door". There may be a mastering credit, which would be for the vinyl version.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

23. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Thanks Barry for your answer. Am I right by saying you did the original vinyl version, your collegue Dave Allen did the CD version? (I got his issue of 1985, so this should be the original Elektra version of that Cure CD, I suppose)

24. bdiament

Hi Echo,

The other way 'round: I did the CD.

I don't know who did the vinyl but if the credit says "Dave Allen", I'd say Dave did it.

Best regards,
    Barry

25. bdiament

Just checked my copy of the CD.
    There is no mastering credit that I can see in the liner notes.

Dave Allen is credited as engineer.
    He probably recorded/mixed the album.

Don't know who mastered the vinyl.

Best regards,
    Barry