EMI Classics Signature Collection on SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I received the full set earlier this week and like the packaging as well of the sound quality of the two discs I have listened to so far. The 'Lieder' set is fantastic.

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Some do.

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I don't like the way a lot of Living Stereos sound and many more from Living Presence, too closed miked and unnatural. I think many of these EMIs sound a lot better.

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

But Wilma Cozart has never made a close mic recording. :)

5. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

Is the Abbey Road process still:
    analogue tape>24/96 ADC processing>analogue tape (EMI EQ)>DSD thus limiting resolution to 24/96?

6. Claude

Claude Senior Member

7. e630940

looks like a couple of steps too many IMHO

8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

But of course there is no "analogue tape" involved in the middle. It's just an analogue signal path.

9. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Thank you for the note! It wasn't clear to me if these were the exact same mastering as the Japanese release or if things have been further tweaked..

And yes that conversion to 24/96 in the process does seem unfortunate...

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's for sure. RCA-Victor did use a few "spot mics" on the reeds once in a while though..

11. It's very logical for the credit card company's fraud unit. Most credit card fraud originates out of Eastern Europe and Russia. Purchases originating out of Europe for an American not traveling abroad looks suspicious to the credit card company, particularly if you've never ordered anything on the card from overseas.

12. e630940

right - the price of about $20 for 2 discs is great

13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I received the Beethoven/Brahms concerto set, the Bruckner set and the Dvorak/Grieg/Schumann concerto set today.

I'm impressed with the packaging. These are thick cardboard slipcases, which contain representations of the original LP front and back cover, liner notes on the music and the remastering, as well as pictures of the artists, the tape boxes, the mastering equipment and team.

I will post some listening comparisons with CD reissues later.

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have all of that except the Bruckner in various EMI big boxes, so my decision will be based sound quality. I don't know those Bruckner recordings, but I do have them well-regarded Jochum cycle on that label. Surprised they didn't go for that.

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I compared the Beethoven Triple concerto on SACD with the 1998 Great recordings of the century CD, mastered by Simon Gibson who is also in the SACD mastering team (the SACDs don't indicate the mastering engineer of each title).

The difference between the two discs is not very big. Both sound very fine. The solo instruments are recorded quite close up. The main difference is with the orchestra, which sounds more transparent and natural on the SACD. The hall acoustics are also more obvious on the hi-rez disc.

If this was a $40 japanese SACD, I would have a hard time recommending to upgrade. If I find the time, I will do a more accurate comparison of the CD layers, to see how much difference is due to the mastering.

16. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Thank you Claude, keep the reports coming!

17. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Mine aren't due to arrive for a week. I'll be interested in your impressions. Thanks in advance. :righton:

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Yes please!

I hope to receive next week my order shipped 2 days ago: Bruckner, Du Pre, Klemperer/Mozart & Mendelssohn.

Alex

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I ripped the Great Recordings CD and the CD layer of the SACD for the Beethoven Triple concerto and A/B'ed the last movement using the foobar2000 ABX plugin.

My conclusion is that the CD sounds a bit veiled compared to the redbook layer of the SACD. The difference is quite subtle though.

20. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Comparing the Bruckner Symphony 8 SACD with a 1992 EMI CD reissue.

The SACD wins easily, since the CD seems to have been mastered from second generation tapes, which have added reverb and sound much more distant.

These are wonderful early 60's recordings, which don't sound dated at all.

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Thanks for your analysis, Claude. I'll order some of these EMI SACDs

22. I enjoyed most of the SACDs I have listened to so far in this series, the only exception might be Neapolitan Songs by Giuseppe Di Stefano which I found to be a bit on the bright side.

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

oh thanks. I might put that one off the cart.

24. john greenwood

Just got mine - the Debussy and the Mozart. I agree - the packaging is first rate. I have a GROC of Gieseking's Preludes so I should be able to compare that with he SACD.

25. john greenwood

On further experience, the discs in the side pockets are impossible to remove without their rubbing against the front and back of the "book." I'll have to keep them in separate sleeves.

I compared the Debussy Preludes disc with my GROC recording. The SACD is definitely richer harmonically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.