Emerson Lake And Palmer 'Brain Salad Surgery' SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

So's my preorder from Best Buy.

2. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Got my copy today. The stereo version is the best sounding version available at the moment IMO. (I've never heard the old Atlantic.) Remastering was done by Paschal Byrne.

The liner notes says that the SACD contains "5.1. Surround Sound remix of the album never before released in the UK". So, i guess it's the Rhino DVD-Audio mix.

3. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I have the DVD-A. But, I guess, I need this, as well..

For the record, my 2 favorite ELP albums are the debut, "Emerson Lake & Palmer" & "BSS".

And, yes, yes; I saw the BSS tour live! :righton: :cheers:

4. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The "Brain Salad Surgery" 3-disc set shipped out to me yesterday from Amazon.co.uk

As for the Black Sabbath 3-disc set that was to be released(also by Universal UK) the same day, it is now apparent, that for whatever reasons, the release was stopped.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Hardly. Lots of DVD-A's with no stereo mix. Way too many, and that was one of the major flaws of the format, imo.

6. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Thanks a lot for your 1st impression!
    As I have only the Ariola/Manticore CD and the DVD-A, I'm still hoping for a good stereo version.
    Is it really a 3-disc-set with a non-hybrid-SACD? Or what is exactly on it?

Martin

7. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Let me guess:

No-noised, midrange jacked up and slightly compressed?

This guy's recent work has been quite poor, IMO. Really sterile sounding stuff. Why couldn't Andy Pearce have been given this gig!? I had heard it was going to be Byrne but was really hoping that would not be the case.

The chance of this beating Barry's would seem unlikely in terms of my own taste. I can't even imagine how it would beat Palmaccio's, but I''ll try it.

8. Doctor Flang

As is said in my post, it's the best version available at the moment IMO.

This one sounds clear, but i hear no mid's being jacked up (compared to Rhino's Yes catalogue). Byrne is no Steve, that's for sure, but this one is not compressed to hell either, unlike the previous Sanctuary version.

I don't know why Shout used bad tapes and different mastering engineer for their BSS. Andy Pearce did a pretty good job on them.

9. Jeff Carney

There must be a Sanctuary version I am unfamiliar with. The two I've heard are the Castle that used the DVD-A mix by mistake and the corrected Castle that just reverted to the Palmaccio remastering used by Victory and Rhino. This is not compressed. In fact, it is a really nice job, just a tad on the bright side compared to Barry's version. Did Sanctuary change this mastering for their '04 release?

10. Doctor Flang

The version i have is the 2001 re-issue. The one with bonus tracks (Brain Salad, Windmills & flexidisc). It says that the remastering was done by Palmaccio, but i doubt it. But i'm not sure since i don't own the Victory version. But i do have the Manticore box set that was remastered by Palmaccio, and the BBS material does not sound like the 2001 Sanctuary version at all. It is not either the DVD-A-mix, because Karn Evil 9 has that "shock(s)", which is not on the DVD-A version.

This is getting scary.

And yes, the 2001 Sanctuary IS compressed.

But funnily, i kind of like that overly compressed version of "2nd impression"...

I was too young for the Atlantic ELP:s and sadly have never heard them.

11. Jeff Carney

Can you post a screencap from the 2001 Castle? Iirc, we already confirmed this CD matched the 1993 Victory, and as you mention, the CD even lists that mastering credit, but perhaps some further tweaking was done.

12. Doctor Flang

I'm afraid i can't because i don't have a right program to do it and my computer is antique. Sorry!

But i can tell a few ear-wise observations about it:

1. Jerusalem
    On the Palmaccio's Manticore box set version, the volume rises a bit on the second verse and Carl Palmer hi-hat comes in quite loud. This is not happening on my Sanctuary copy.

2. Still...You Turn Me On
    After the verses, the wah-wah guitar comes in and the volume rises noticeable. Not so with the Sanctuary version. The volume level is even throughout the song.

3. Karn Evil 9
    As Lake's vocals come in in the first verse, after the organ intro the volume level rises and Keith's descendid piano can be heard clearly. On the Sanctuary version vocals come in and the piano can barely be heard.
    At first i thought i had the DVD-M stereo mix version but, as i said the Sanctuary had the muted "SHOCKS"-thing that is not on the DVD-audio version.

Compared to Manticore Box Set, this new version sound quite similiar. The second disc is useless by the way. It adds nothing to BSS.

13. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Doc, what is that muted "SHOCKS"-thing you are referring to?

14. Doctor Flang

On the 1st impression, Greg Lake sings "we've have thrills and shocks, supersonic fighting cocks". When he sings "shocks", all but the vocal channels are muted. It's less than second but, it's very noticeable and...er...shocking! :)

15. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Just ordered this. I hope it's good! I have the DVD-A, but I only have an SACD player, so this will be hi-rez compared to the way I was listening to it before. I read a review on Amazon that says the stereo mix is still the wrong one? Is this true?

Frank R.

16. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Aha, of course! Thanks! :wave:

17. Doctor Flang

The reviews that say that it's a wrong mix are from the 2007. (I don't know why!) But Amazon.uk got three pretty good reviews. But wait awhile, till other people here give their opinions! :)

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My order is on its way.

19. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Good comments on the stereo version is not helping me kick my habit.

20. Doctor Flang

I know what you mean. This was my third BSS. That said, i've bought Black Sabbath catalogue five times, and yet i'm still waiting...

As long as my wife doesn't know about it it's ok.

21. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Not mine. :realmad: Backordered. God only knows what that will mean.

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

If you check the date on the reviews you'll see they refer to an earlier version from last year.

23. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

They said in an email I'm being refunded 2.22 GBP.

I wonder if they'll try the same stunt when they ship Black Sabbath (if ever).

24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

My personal policy:

Never. Pre-order. Anything.

25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

This is what Amazon UK sent me:

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

We're writing to confirm that we have processed your refund for GBP
    0.01 for the above-referenced order.

We hope this is a satisfactory solution for you.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Brain Salad Surgery [SACD]
    Price on order date: £14.99
    Price charged at dispatch: £14.99
    Lowest price up to and including release date: £14.98
    Amount to be refunded: £0.01
    Quantity: 1
    Total Savings: £0.01

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.