Emerson Lake And Palmer 'Brain Salad Surgery' SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I disagree. The Diament is lifeless. It suffers from poor A/D converters

2. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I don't recall who mastered this. Anyone here that knows?

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

ditto

4. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Wasn't it Paschal Byrne? I seem to remember that being mentioned before... I don't know for sure because I don't own the SACD - funnily, I've yet to see one for sale anywhere in Australia.

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

hmmmmmm ....poor A/D convertors - that's the first time I've ever heard that criticism levelled at it. The sound is more likely a combination of 2 factors:
    1. Barry was given a reduced quality copy tape to master from. We know that this was true, as Bill Levenson found the original master tape of Karn Evil 9 during the Victory mastering sessions, and on the Victory there was no longer the recorded quality drop during KE9 1st Impression part 1, nor the old split as per change of vinyl sides.
    2. Barry may have mastered this to try and make the vocals sound more natural, rather than with extreme sibilance. No-one has complained about the A/D convertors used for "Pictures At An Exhibition", yet that one and "Brain Salad Surgery were done in the same era by the same person.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Poor A/D converters? I could buy that maybe Barry was given a less than optimal tape source to work from....but how could you possibly judge what converters he chose?

7. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

The stereo layer would be a downgrade from the Palmaccio, not an upgrade.

But if you want the 5.1 mix, it's the same as the Rhino DVD-A, and probably easier to find.

8. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Another member posted a link to a thread discussing this version, but I'll reiterate my opinion - it sucks. Bright, poor quality pressing on 2 copies I've played on my system. I picked a mid 1970's UK copy which sounds much better. My domestic early 1970's copy sounds better as well, and these are easy to find in good shape.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Don't believe me ask Barry.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Again, don't believe me ask Barry. A/D converters from 25 years are not good by today's standards.

11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Rhino DVD-A is pretty darn nice.

12. timw

timw Senior Member

I agree. The DVD-A sounds incredible! It was my 1st DVD-A and still my favorite. I had picked up the SACD and eventually sold it(after making a copy of the bonus tracks disc...:D )

13. That is correct, it is what my SACD version lists under the reissue credits. It does not surprise me people are not seeing the SACD in stores, because the packaging on both the inside and outside do not refer to SACD at all! The deluxe edition from the EU does have a SACD in it though. The package lists it strangely as a 5.1 STS, whatever that is. The only reference to it is a small SACD logo on the disc itself.

This is my only version of the album so I can not really comment on the sound quality.

14. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Thanks for the tip! Since I don't have a surround setup I think I'll just stick with my Rhino CD. :)

15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Totally agree that A/D (and D/A) convertors have improved since these were first done, but the sound of BSS on Atlantic has far more to do with the tape sources rather than the A/D convertors of the day. It may be a factor, sure, but my point was that Pictures At An Exhibition sounds excellent and was likely done with the same A/D convertors. Barry would be able to venture an opinion (and I'm sure he could do it better now with better A/D convertors and a better tape source).

16. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

That's similar to the Moody Blues Deluxe Edition SACDs, from memory - no mention of SACD or the SACD. But the Deluxe Edition SACD of Brain Salad Surgery is nowhere to be seen in my neck of the woods - I would recognise it if it was around...

17. asturias

asturias Forum Resident

18. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Anybody else have this?

19. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

I have both the DVD-A and the SACD, what kind of feedback are you looking for?

20. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Well, I guess if you had to choose between the DVD-A and SACD, which one you couldn't live without...

21. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

If you're primarily interested in surround, I'd say go with the DVD-A for the inclusion of Lucky Man, since this track is not on the SACD. As stated earlier in the thread, the surround mix otherwise appears the same for SACD and DVD-A.
    If you're more into 2 channel then the SACD is for you as the DVD-A doesn't have an MLP stereo layer. So each have merits depending on what you're looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.