Elvis Costello on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike B, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

That's cool!

2. christiaens d

christiaens d New Member

http://www.vinyljunk.com/detail/816162-elvis-costello-brutal-youth-2lp

3. christiaens d

christiaens d New Member

http://www.vinyljunk.com/detail/816162-elvis-costello-brutal-youth-2lp

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

5. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Though my American "MAIT" leaves a bit to be desired, my American "Armed Forces" sound excellent (it's among my best sounding LPs, and one I frequently use to show off my system), and I prefer having "Peace, Love and Understanding" on the album to the original British version with "Sunday's Best," which I have on CD.

6. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I have both the U.S. and U.K. version. They are very different listening experiences, with the U.S. version being much more dynamically compressed. Having grown up with the U.S. version, it does feel to me like "Peace, Love and Understanding" should be on the album. I imagine those who grew up with the U.K. version feel equally strongly that it does not. I'm glad I have both, and like having the Live at Hollywood High EP that came with initial U.S. pressings as well, although I suppose that is less essential now that the whole show has been released on CD.

7. peter

peter Senior Member

8. christiaens d

christiaens d New Member

that's correct first time on vinyl

9. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

Jeff, could you please tell if German MAIT original with red/white labels significantly differs in terms of sound impression from UK Porky Prime Cut A1/B1 initial pressing?
    For example, I have German Armed Forces on Radar, compared it with UK version and them both appeared to stand on par.
    I decided to add some best sounding UK originals to my EC collection ( mostly German and US versions) that's why I'm asking on that.
    thx in advance.

10. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

the same with Canadian original pressing of TYM with 'Costello' on label rim.
    I test played it vs. UK RAD3 original and can state that the sound differs tremendously.
    despite the difference in EQ and dynamics Columbia version is mixed another way.
    for example, Little Triggers has more cymbals in the left channel in the certain moments of playing, backing vocals are balanced between channels the other way than UK orig.
    never expected that will I have a such feeling but Columbia LP sounds far richer than Porky's cut.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  11. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

At this moment, Music Direct is offering several EC LPs for $17.49 each, and Get Happy!! (2LP 45RPM), for $24.99. Free shipping if you spend over $49.00. There is a 15% promo code available (not valid on sale items), MUSIC15.

12. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Whatever happened to Jeff Wong?

Munger74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.