Elvis Costello Albums to be Reissued -- Again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Yeah, I'll settle for nothing less than a box set of classic EC & the Attractions live performances. Of course, that 192 CD box set is gonna set me back a few $ ;)

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I'm still below 40 - for another seven weeks, at least - but I wouldn't buy those sets since I already have all the regular CDs! :D

3. Street23

Street23 Forum Resident

A quick update on the "Rock And Roll Music" compilation, courtesy of the Hip-O/UMe one-sheet.

Two of the songs are previously unreleased versions: Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind? (alternate), and Welcome To The Working Week (demo). Also, they're going with the "Live at Hollywood High" versions of Mystery Dance and You Belong To Me.

As far as the eleven albums in the "Elvis Costello Originals" series, the one-sheet is boasting the following:

• The original US tracklistings
    • The original artwork in collectable digi-paks w/obi-sleeves for Japanese import look
    • Obi-sleeves with links to special exclusives available on ALL Elvis product!! (emphasis is Hip-O's)

Note: If the track listings elsewhere on the B2B site are correct, the "original US tracklistings" must be referring to earlier CD versions instead of the original LPs, as the first three titles all feature the hybrid US/UK track listings that we've become accustomed to. Also, as far as the artwork goes, the covers pictured in the one-sheet are the UK covers of This Years Model, Armed Forces, and Get Happy, not the US versions.

No mention of any remastering.

(P.S. Am I the only one who would gladly shell out for a reissue of Taking Liberties with the original track listing? That was actually one of my favorite EC albums back in the vinyl days!)

4. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

You wouldn't be alone, I'm sure, but all of those tracks can be compiled from the Rhino discs.

5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I actually liked the similar compilation "Out Of Our Idiot" even better.

6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Thanks for the update. Feel free to keep us posted on any other Elvis updates you come across!

The lack of any mention of remastering makes me wonder if they're just reusing the versions prepared by Rhino.

If they really are using "the original US tracklistings," I imagine a Taking Liberties reissue is inevitable.

7. Marry a Carrot

The running order makes more sense once you know that "Welcome To The Working Week" (at the end of the disc) is a demo and "Mystery Dance" and "You Belong To Me" (mixed in with Armed Forces-era material) are from Hollywood High.

"Miracle Man" does still seem out of place though, unless it turns out to be a live version as well. (There are three officially released 1977-1978 live versions to choose from.)

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It's a great compilation! It actually covered the tracks released AFTER 'Taking Liberties'. 'Ten Bloody Marys & Ten How's Your Fathers' was the UK equivalent of the American release 'Taking Liberties'.

9. Sean Murdock

Right -- when I said "similar" I meant that it was an odds-n-ends collection.

Sometimes when I'm suffering from "bonus track fatigue" with the Rhinos, I wish EC had just compiled a 3- or 4-disc set of his bonus material -- it would be the equal to any rarities set ever released.

10. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I'm not sure about this "yee-hah" guy.

I assume he's there - but I haven't noticed him before.

What I *HAVE* noticed is that I can be clearly heard on a
    *different* concert recording by Elvis Costello.... recorded
    in 1984 by the King Biscuit people at the Spectrum in Philadelphia.

That's me yelling - throughout the entire concert - at the
    top on my lungs "EELLLLLLVVVVISSSSSSSSS!!!!"

The corresponding bootleg is sometimes mislabeled as The Tower
    Theater... but it was definetly The Spectrum (the hockey rink).

Elvis played two gigs in Philly that year. He did a solo performance
    (no band) at the Tower Theater in Spring (with T-Bone Burnett
    opening). Then he returned to the Spectrum after the album
    ("Goodbye Cruel World") came out (with Nick Lowe and His Cowboy
    Outfit - opening) in the summer....

I was in college at the time, and my friend and I had a little
    bit too much to drink (that's an understatement) and we
    both stood on chairs the entire concert yelling "ELVIS!!!"
    at the top of our lungs... the odd thing is everyone else
    around us was seated... and our tickets were for the
    2nd deck... we just kind of planted ourselves in those
    seats and no one kicked us out...

Listening to the recording - I'm really surprised Elvis didn't
    stop the band - and demand that we cease and desist.

But somewhere - I'm sure someone is cussing about
    the two "ELVIS!!!!" guys who ruined what would have
    been a perfectly fine King Biscuit recording...

So have some sympathy for the "Yee-hah" guy.
    He might actually be a Hoffman forum member :)

11. stereoptic

I was able to put the essential (IMO) bonus tracks from 'My Aim Is True' through Trust on one 80 minute CDR. I only used 1 live track (I Don't Know What To Do WIth Myself) and bypassed many of the demos. I plan to do the same with the rest of the catalog, although the 'Almost Blue' and 'Kojack Variety' bonus CDs are almost perfect in themselves.

12. Sean Murdock

No offense to your drunken college antics, but seriously, why should we feel sympathy for someone who ruins the concert experience for all those around them -- and then for all future listeners if the show is recorded? The "Yee-hah" guy is a major irritant, and the ONLY flaw in the blistering El Mocambo show -- sympathy? I think not.

One of the best shows I ever saw was almost wrecked for me by a relative of the "Yee-Haa Guy" -- I sat right next to the "Woo-Hoo Woman." It was more like "Wooooooo-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" -- bellowed at random times, because she was in and out of full consciousness. (Not college-age either.) Repeat 5-10 times per song and you'll get the idea.

Not to mention that the musicians onstage HATE the people who behave this way at their shows. It's the ultimate in disrespectful behavior. Sorry if you were posting that tongue-in-cheek, but I can't stand that "Yee-Hah" guy and his ilk.

13. Sean Murdock

Ultimately, I'm glad that Elvis released all that he did, I guess -- the CDs would have been stronger with just a handful of killer (and relevant) bonus tracks each, but now I can pick the ones I like, which will differ from the ones you like, and so on.

As for near-perfect Rhino bonus CDs, I'd add the Get Happy!! disc 2 to that list. I listen to that almost as often as the actual album. The Blood and Chocolate and Brutal Youth bonus discs are also revelatory (even without the Wendy James demos on the latter).

14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I hope the new "King of America" has the live bonus track of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood". I was upset that the Rhino set didn't include this cut.

15. Marry a Carrot

Unlikely, since all indications thus far are that there won't be any bonus tracks on the main albums.

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It's almost a can't win policy, isn't it? Is it best to release such a trove of outtakes...4 or 5, per album configuration... compile expanded sets with even more bonus tracks on them...or issue just a few, and save most of the goodies for an expanded 3-4 CD box that will sell maybe 10,000 units. I'm sure this is what faced Dhani and Olivia Harrison after George passed. Should the remasters from a few years back have been more generous with bonus material? Or is it best to release a comprehensive Rarities box as George himself was contemplating? It's not easy to satisfy us all I suppose. Ron

17. bicyclops

bicyclops Forum Resident

Not on the Rhino, but it can be found on the Singles Box 3.

18. Sean Murdock

Very true Ron -- and as you know, I was disappointed in the choices Olivia made with the Dark Horse reissues. (I was equally disappointed with Yoko's similar treatment of John's solo albums.) By using too FEW bonus tracks (or more specifically, too few GOOD tracks), it can give them a "so what?" feeling, and actually DETRACT from the album. If you use too many bonus tracks, the great ones that complement and enhance the album-proper are diluted by random lesser material.

The ultimate example of this dilemma is George's Somewhere In England LP -- an album forcibly altered by record label meddling. The remaster should have included the four tracks cut by WB; this addition would have strengthened a good-but-kinda-for-fans-only album, and put it into historical perspective, allowing George's original tracks to speak their case. Unfortunately, not only does the CD remaster only include a marginally interesting demo as the sole bonus track, it puts ONE of the aforementioned rejected tracks on a DIFFERENT CD! If George's archives aren't fertile enough to dip into the "box set" pool for high-quality bonus tracks -- and in the end, after all, the LPs are the primary historical record for George -- then they should have left them off altogether. But some bean-counter probably told them they would sell x% more copies with "bonus tracks."

(To be fair to Oliva, the Living In The Material World remaster was handled perfectly -- only two bonus tracks, yes, but both were strong tracks, historically relevant and unreleased on CD. The Cloud 9 remaster also used a historically relevant track ["Shanhai Surprise"] and an appropriate b-side ["Zig Zag"].)

But back to Elvis Costello. I think Ryko (and E.C.) handled those reissues very well. They had the respectful silence at the end of the album, followed by (a) previously-released strays from the era, (b) a studio outtake or two, and (c) a couple of demos or live tracks. Nice and tidy -- and the bonus tracks generally SUPPORTED and helped the albums, rather than being tagged on as a marketing device. In some cases (Goodbye Cruel World, anyone?), the bonus tracks SAVED the album and made it worth buying again. After buying all the Rykos and almost all of the Rhinos, I find that Ryko generally had the cream of the crop to begin with. Sure, there's a lot of the Rhino stuff that I enjoy -- how can there NOT be with a double-LP's worth of outtakes for EVERY album! -- but as I said, I get fatigued.

19. toptentwist

It wasn't tongue in cheek.

And I am severely embarrassed by my antics.

The reality is I should have been arrested that evening.
    Not for ruining the concert - but for being publicly intoxicated.
    Especially on the train ride home.

Normally - I am sedate at concerts... I don't even stand up.

The odd thing is the venue ALLOWED us to continue.
    We really should have been hauled away by security.

A few months later, I was very suprised to learn that
    our yelps made it on to the King Biscuit recording. I
    would have expected someone to mix them out.

For what its worth, I've pointed myself out to people
    who are familiar with the recording - and I actually
    had one hard-core Costello fanatic shoot me a message
    back saying that he enjoyed how I kept screaming
    "Getting might crowded" back at Elvis as if it was
    some sort of call and response backing vocal.
    His official comment was something like "That's
    what *I* found myself doing as I listened!"

And even though it would have been interesting
    to have been "included" on a legit release, I did
    feel some relief to learn that this tape did NOT
    make it onto a Rhino bonus disc.

I know at the time - I did not mean any disrespect
    to the artist.

I mostly remember frustration that we seemed to
    be the only two people (out of approx 8,000 in
    attendance) that were ENJOYING the event...

As for my plea for sympathy for the "yee-haw"
    man... my only real point was that this person
    may regret his behavior today.

Not everyone is aware that tape is rolling.
    And sometimes a "yee-haw" is an unbridled
    form of affection...

20. stereoptic

My sentiments exactly! No sympathy from me, either. That's one of the very reason that I don't like going to larger concerts today.

Yes, it was very hard for me to pick and choose from the Get Happy!! bonuses!

I'm glad that Rhino released these as 2 cd sets. The average 45 minute playig time is just right for my daily commute. When discs get too long, it seems like I never listen to the last few songs! And now that it appears that these will be OOP, I have just about every Costello track that it worth collecting. (except for those that are just on the Singles boxes, and the various tracks here and there - oh, heck I'll never be finished collecting his stuff! :) )

21. toptentwist

The same summer - probably a few weeks before the Elvis Costello
    concert I spoke of - at the same venue - I watched Roger
    Waters storm off the stage because he was upset with the
    audience.

It was wierd.

Waters was playing the last song of the first set (the "greatest hits"
    part of the show) and he stopped singing at one point to tell
    someone to "cut out the ph*c kin whistling"... sure enough
    about one minute later - someone whistled - and Roger
    promptly dropped his bass and stormed off stage.

The rest of the band was unsure what to do. I mostly
    remember Eric Clapton filling the void. I seem to recall
    him taking a long extended solo - but I can't really say
    for sure if he did that or it just SEEMED like he did that...

But the first half of the concert ended very awkwardly.
    And I remember wondering if we would even GET a 2nd
    half of the concert...

Luckily we did. And the band (which included Clapton,
    Michael Kamen, Andy Newmark, Mel Collins, Chris Stainton,
    et. al) played great.

Right before the encore - Waters actually APOLOGIZED
    for loosing his composure. I thought that was cool
    but ultimately unnecessary. Those of who NOTICED,
    probably understood... those who didn't noticed,
    probably didn't even know what happened.

When the tour came back around about 8 months
    later with Andy Fairweather Low as Clapton's replacement,
    there was a discussion of the incident in an interview
    in the newspaper.

Waters said that the rest of the band was "completely
    freaked out when I left the stage - especially Eric -
    who was very angry during the intermission - and
    kept repeating 'you can't do that' over and over
    to me" (paraphrased from memory)

Perhaps that is why Clapton didn't play more
    dates when the tour came back around again.

22. Sean Murdock

23. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

God, I loved attending a Jon Brion show at LA's Largo, where you CAN'T talk during the show. They will absolutely come to you and make you stop. Beautiful.

24. toptentwist

To demonstrate how much I've evolved since 1984...

My favorite club in Houston is a small place called The Mucky Duck
    that is very much like how you describe Largo where you CAN'T talk.

My wife tried to bring some friends of hers with us once (my wife
    doesn't even usually go to the Mucky Duck) and I remember her
    friend making a comment "Why is everyone SO quiet?"

The atmosphere is more like a comedy club - where peoples
    attention is riveted on the stage... not because anyone
    forces it to be that way... but mostly because people
    are there to enjoy music.

I'm guessing her friend was accustomed to smokey bars where
    people talk over what is essentially background noise to people
    who have no idea what the music is about...

25. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The Mucky Duck is a great place. One problem though... whenever I see Steve Forbert there they never have the mix right or the volume up enough to hear from the bar area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.