Elvis Costello Albums to be Reissued -- Again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The correct answer turns out to be October 18, 1978 at CBGB, when Elvis was a surprise guest at a Richard Hell & The Voidoids concert.

Hell has been cropped out and the Voidoids blurred.

[​IMG]

2. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Thanks for the info:righton:
    Some of this set - I presume - turns up on the 'Time' 2CD:
    http://www.matadorrecords.com/richard_hell/

Disc 2:
    Richard Hell & The Voidoids --
    Live At CBGB, New York, NY 1978
    St. Mark’s Church Poetry Project Benefit, FM Broadcast

13. Kid With The Replaceable Head
    14. Don’t Die
    15. You Gotta Lose (with Elvis Costello)
    16. Shattered

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

That's right. "You Gotta Lose" and "Shattered" were the only songs with EC.

4. endeavor08

endeavor08 New Member

are they reall that expensive

5. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Supposedly this "Rock and Roll" album may just be the first in a series of "Thematic" repackagings of EC's songs on Hip-O.

The regular albums won't have any previously unissued tracks. However, there will be a "30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition" of "My Aim is True"

6. His Masters Vice

Here's a bigger version:

[​IMG]

Elvis now looks more like what Robert Quine looked like then... :eek: :winkgrin:

7. I'm pretty sure I am done buying EC reissues.

Picked up all the RYKOS and then got rid of most of them and picked up all the RHINOS. ("IMPERIAL BEDROOM" and "KING OF AMERICA" I now have on both labels) Getting an entire second disc of extra tracks (plus new liner notes) made the RHINOS essential.

One of the other things I really liked about the RHINO series was the promo-only samplers that were issued. I believe there were three of them: "RE-EXAMINE", "UNDENIABLE ATTRACTION(S)" and an untitled one. Each sampled from three different RHINO remasters presenting three songs from the original album and three songs from the bonus disc. 18 tracks per disc with nice full colour covers!

I'll be on the lookout for any samplers to go along with this new series but otherwise....I'll pass.

(Ok,ok....I admit it, if they add absolutley anything to "IMPERIAL BEDROOM" I will pick it up! )

8. "IMPERIAL BEDROOM A-B VERSION"

This is the track listing for a comp I put together to really examine the extra tracks on the RHINO "IMPERIAL BEDROOM" second disc in comparison with the original tracks.

I don't consider this project the ultimate example of me being a music geek...but its up there! :D

1. Imperial Bedroom (outtake)
    2. The Land Of Give And Take (early version of Beyond Belief)
    3. Beyond Belief
    4. Tears Before Bedtime (alternate version)
    5. Tears Before Bedtime
    6. Shabby Doll (demo version)
    7. Shabby Doll
    8. Man Out Of Time (demo version)
    9. Man Out Of Time (alternate version)
    10.Man Out Of Time
    11....And In Every Home (rehearsal)
    12....And In Every Home
    13.Human Hands (early version)
    14.Human Hands
    15.Kid About It (alternate version)
    16.Kid About It
    17.Little Savage (alternate version)
    18.Little Savage
    19.You Little Fool (demo version)
    20.You Little Fool (alternate version)
    21.You Little Fool
    22.Town Cryer (demo version)
    23.Town Cryer (fast version)
    24.Town Cryer

:cool:

Its a pretty good and unique (I feel) way of looking at one of my all time favourite albums.
    At some point I'd like to try and throw some artwork together for it so that it has a spine that looks good next to my RYKO version, UK sampler for "IB" and "ALMOST BLUE" and my RHINO 2 disc version.

This is why I say if they do almost anything to the new UNI edition of "IMPERIAL BEDROOM" I am sure that I will pick it up.
    Hell, I have spent hours upon hours just comparing the difference in liner notes from the RYKO and RHINO versions!

:winkgrin:

9. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

That's gotta be the ugliest album cover I've seen in years... who beneath the age of 40 do they think is going to buy that??

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I dunno. I think it captures the spirit of the '70s Stiff era DIY-style artwork rather well.

It'll take a lot to get me to buy the EC catalogue again, however. One or two additional/alternative bonus tracks isn't gonna do it. And, outside of some archival complete live shows, I can't imagine there's that much left in the well.

Kwad

11. lemonjello

lemonjello Forum Resident

I just got a seal UK copy of 'Blood and Chocalate' and will be happy to compare when I get some more record cleaner.

Overall the Rhinos may not sound as good as some of the original UK pressings I have, but they are the best sounding CD versions I've heard. My biggest problem would be lack of good bass or low-mids. (I've heard that some of the Ryko's were out of phase, but I haven't heard these in a while.)

If you heard the UK pressing of 'Get Happy' you'd notice that this is NOT a bright recording. This has bass to die for!!! It seems that everyone else who mastered this thought the bass might cause too many problems on some systems or it didn't sound 80's enough or whatever the reason, so they made it brighter. Having said that, I still listen to the Rhino disc of that.

Universal would have to try REAL hard to get their discs to sound like my UK vinyl in order to improve over the Rhino's. I'm not gonna judge until I hear them, but I doubt they have it in them. I hope I'm wrong.:angel:
    I'll have to buy them if they have bonus tracks that I don't already have. and that will suck/rule. :realmad: :righton: :confused:

Jake

12. His Masters Vice

There are quite a lot pre-"My Aim Is True" recordings that could be tagged on to a "Deluxe Edition" of "My Aim Is True". Around 20. I'm talking previously unreleased stuff. Songs you haven't heard unless you're a very devoted fan. I don't know if they will be included ... I'm just sayin'

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

two of the blandest titles assigned to compilations that I have ever heard. :( Elvis deserves much better than this!

14. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

so..

should we stock up on extra copies of the Rhino releases to sell down the line?

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Who beneath the age of 40 would buy it anyway? :D

16. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Unless you count the bonuses from the Rykos that Rhino inexplicably left off...and some b-sides from the UK singles boxes.

17. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Jeez. It looks like they put absolutely zero thought into both the track selection and running order.

18. stereoptic

Just in case you don't know of this website, this lists all of the Ryko bonus tracks that Rhino missed:

Elvis Costello on Rhino

19. Frumious B

Frumious B Active Member

Except for Blood And Chocolate, which I missed on the earlier go round, all of my Costello CDs are still the Ryko issues.

20. stereoptic

I replaced most of my Rykos with the Rhinos. I'll eventually get 'Punch The Clock', 'Goodbye Cruel World', 'Spike', and 'Mighty Like A Rose'

21. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

No re-release of El Mocambo... It's actually a fab album, except for the "Yee-hah!" guy. Plus it would be nice to get the 4-song Nick Lowe guest appearance. Of course, with Nick's work OOP and his output owned by who knows--maybe the yee-hah guy--it might be difficult.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The idea of an EL MOCAMBO expanded with the encore set certainly has merit, but personally I'd prefer that it be replaced with another '78 show (like the Warner Theatre show from a few nights earlier that provides the solo "Chemistry Class" on the Rhino ARMED FORCES) that may have an edge in terms of the performance.

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Sooner is probably better than later as I imagine the pipeline is going to be cleared in the very near future. Frankly, I'm surprised that most of the Rhinos are still as easy to obtain as they are.

24. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

Well, I have most of the albums from that era, so that rules me out...
    :)

25. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Ah, but is there anything to compare with El Mocambo's "Lipstick Vogue?" Even with the yee-hah guy and the feedback (!), and Elvis a little hasty and flat at times, "Lepstek Vo" is a tour de force. The Attractions just ROCK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.