Elvis Costello Albums to be Reissued -- Again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I completed the Rhino reissues of the Elvis Costello catalog by picking up the first three albums, which I was slow to upgrade because I still have Rykodisc's 2 1/2 YEARS box set.

I just don't have much confidence that Universal will do a good job with the sonics on the proposed fourth-generation reissues. Of the major labels, their in-house remastering seems to be the weakest.

Universal will only hook me if they include a complete concert with the discs while charging only a single-disc list price, as Rhino did for their two-disc sets. What EC really needs is a nice series of live recordings. It doesn't have to be as exhaustive as Pearl Jam's or as extensive as DICK PICK'S, but a one- or two-disc set of highlights from each tour would be worthwhile.

2. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Correct.

Costello sold the rights to his early catalog, which was managed in the UK by Demon and in the US by Ryko then Rhino to Universal, certainly because they manage his current output. The "middle years" belong to WB and Rhino will stay in charge in the foreseeable future. It has little to do with creative "improvement" of the catalog, everything with consolidation. If they put together a carrier-spanning compilation worldwide, it will ask two companies to reach an agreement, not three or four.

I'd bet that the Universal reissues will stay very close to the "old" definitive Rhino editions. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

And, BTW, is in-house remastering at Universal really worse than the one at Capitol-EMI? Peter Mew, anyone?

3. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Any new news/tracklists on these?

I'm just curious as to what the content is..I have all the Rhinos and love them

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, I may be the only one to buy them here since I only have 2 Rhino's and find their sound very thin and bright. That stopped me from buying more and I can now only hope that these guys will make it all much better!:righton:

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

:confused: Which titles did you buy?

6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Armed Forces and Imperial Bedroom.

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It's going to be awhile, I think ... IIRC, both the Ryko and the Rhino deals were announced months -- up to a year, perhaps -- before the actual CDs were released.

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Well, I can't comment since i don't have those. I was going to assume you had Get Happy, which is a bright recording in general (the vocals particularly). But I think the Rhino is head and shoulders above the Ryko. Never heard the UK vinyl though.

On another note... I just picked up a UK LP of Blood and Chocalate. I thought it sounded good, but a little laid back for such a raw record. I haven't heard the Rhino version yet. Can anybody here compare/contrast the UK LP and the Rhino CD?

9. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Wow...this has to be the first time I've ever heard Blood And Chocolate be described as "laid back." :laugh:

One of my two favorite Costello records, btw.

10. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Just the mastering! :D It wasn't in my face... not compressed/limited, just a little mellower than I expected.

I hate using these words to describe sound! Sorry if it doesn't make sense.

It will probably sound great if I crank it up. I'll get back to you after I get the chance. ;)

11. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Each to their own, I suppose. Have you heard the Ryko versions? If you think the Rhino's sound bright - the Ryko's will rip your head off in a very unpleasant fashion (not that there's a good way to have your head ripped off). The original Columbia vinyl of the early Costello albums tended to be somewhat muddy sounding, so perhaps that's what you're basing your comparison on. The UK vinyl is a lot brighter.

I really doubt the Universals will sound any better - and I wouldn't hold my breath for hirez (although Costello's North album was available on SACD, and his recent releases have all had vinyl counterparts too)

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I am keeping the Rhinos.

Evan

13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

From MusicTAP.net:

Rock and Roll Music and The Best of the First 10 Years are presumably new compilations.

14. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

In the future, each of us will have our turn to re-release the Elvis Costello on our own personal record label. ;)

Hip-O isn't known for releasing any of their titles on high-res disc formats are they?

Craig(VC).

15. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Any info, if anything NEW is on these?

I can't imagine there's much left the Rhino's didn't cover...

16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Me too! Personally I love them! (especially Armed Forces and Blood And Chocolate for the great bonus discs!):righton: :righton:

17. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Jeez, let's see: Demon/Edsel. Columbia. Radar. Ryko. Rhino. Universal.

I think I'll hold off on buying any more until the Elvis titles end up on Curb.

18. Street23

Street23 Forum Resident

Judging by the track listings on Universal's B2B site, these May 1st reissues may be completely bare-bones without any bonus tracks. (Either that, or they just haven't posted the bonus material yet.) If these are just basic reissues to get the titles back out in stores again, I would presume that we could expect expanded versions as part of UMG's "Deluxe Editions" line somewhere down the road.

"The Best Of Elvis Costello: The First Ten Years" is 22 tracks, pretty much what you'd expect. But the "Rock And Roll Music" release is a little more interesting:

1. Lipstick Vogue
    2. No Action
    3. Big Tears
    4. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
    5. This Year's Girl
    6. Miracle Man
    7. Pump It Up
    8. Clean Money
    9. Tiny Steps
    10. Wednesday Week
    11. Mystery Dance
    12. You Belong To Me
    13. Peace, Love & Understanding
    14. Girls Talk
    15. King Horse
    16. Lover's Walk
    17. Uncomplicated
    18. Honey Are You Straight Or Are You Blind
    19. Baby's Got A Brand New Hairdo
    20. I Hope You're Happy Now
    21. Tokyo Storm Warning
    22. Welcome To The Working Week

Interestingly, the cover of this one is a great live shot of a young Elvis on stage, but there is no indication whether this is a live album, or just a compilation of EC's more rocking studio tracks. (The track list is too varied for it to be just one show.) Guess we'll have to wait for the official press release to find out...

19. Marry a Carrot

Thanks! Please also post the "First Ten Years" tracklist, if it's not too much trouble.

At least two of those tracks have never been performed live ("Clean Money" and "Baby's Got A Brand New Hairdo"), so I think we can rule out that it's a live album.

20. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

When is the duets album with Diana coming out? As that will be his next rip off.

21. Street23

Street23 Forum Resident

Sure, no prob!

BEST OF: THE FIRST TEN YEARS
    1. Red Shoes
    2. Alison
    3. Watching The Detectives
    4. Chelsea
    5. Pump It Up
    6. Radio Radio
    7. Accidents Will Happen
    8. Oliver's Army
    9. Peace, Love & Understanding
    10. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
    11. High Fidelity
    12. Clubland
    13. New Lace Sleeves
    14. Good Year For The Roses
    15. Beyond Belief
    16. Man Out Of Time
    17. Almost Blue
    18. Everyday I Write The Book
    19. Shipbuilding
    20. Brilliant Mistake
    21. Indoor Fireworks
    22. I Want You

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Marry a Carrot

Thanks! That's just about identical to the Ryko best-of, only with "Red Shoes," "New Lace Sleeves," and "Almost Blue" replacing "New Amsterdam," "Watch Your Step," and "Love Field."

23. Street23

Street23 Forum Resident

You obviously know your EC pretty well... where do you think that live shot was taken? All the guitars on stage are throwing me off. Is it maybe from the Live Stiffs tour?

24. Marry a Carrot

Good question! I'd guess the Live Stiffs tour as well, but it's hard to tell since I can't identify the mystery guitarists.

25. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Nice live pic. But I'd say it's not from the Live Stiffs era - EC's hair was cropped short in all the pics/footage I've seen from then (1977) and he was always pictured with his Jazzmaster. That red Strat came along a few years later, the Get Happy era...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.