Elvis Costello Albums to be Reissued -- Again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

:shake: "Greed is Good" Gordon Gecko

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

While I think it's bizarre that they are reissuing these albums again, let's not get carried away here. I don't think the point is to sell them all over again to fans, just to keep the catalogue in print and sell to new people.

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I'd agree with you if they weren't already promising "definitive" re-issues of all the first 11 albums. You know that there will be additional stuff added to seduce the diehard fans; some will happily re-purchase them yet again, some will do so slightly bitterly with a hint of bile rising up the throat, and some will have finally had enough and write Elvis off altogether.

If they would keep the original Rhinos as-is and concentrate on live material and odds-n-ends collections, I'd applaud the move. (Personally, I'm still hoping for the Wendy James demos.) But if he thinks I'm going to buy This Year's Model again and say "thank you sir, may I have another?" he is kidding himself.

4. jacden

jacden Senior Member

That is the most likely scenario. The Rhino reissue campaign ended just a few months ago with "Juliet Letters" - issuing new versions already would be insane. My guess is the Universal issues will have the same bonus tracks as the Rhino's, and their claim that these will be the "definitive" versions are just PR hype.

5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

What makes you so sure that isn't the plan?

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I think this is just about $$ -- Universal probably offered him a better royalty rate or something. I doubt it has anything to do with Costello being unsatisfied with the Rhino editions, and I assume the Universal releases will be exactly the same.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The collector's mentality amazes me sometimes. Complaining because *too much* product is available is just silly. Let's say hypothetically a person has bought all the Rhino sets, thinks they sound great, and is totally satisfied. Why should they be bothered in the slightest if more reissues come out? You don't have to buy them, just ignore them. I have all the Rykos and chose not to buy the Rhinos. I'm not losing any sleep. It's no big deal. Bring on the next set of reissues... maybe I'll buy these, or maybe I'll skip this round too.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Let's face it: Universal has given E.C. the moon, what with a Classical vocal project with Anne Sofie von Otter, a Ballet with Michael Tilson Thomas conducting and other musical collaborations with high profile guests. Declan must be happy with his label(s). I'm hearing a lot of peeved collectors here, but if you wanna be a completist in this game, seems like ya gotta pony up. I'm perfectly happy with my Columbia issue LPs of the first five albums, thank you very much.

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Actually, this seems closer to the Bowie and Zappa m/o in that the artist and/or family controls the rights. With The Who and Doors, it's the record companies that keep reincarnating the horse in order to beat it again.

10. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Elvis won't be touring for a while since his wife (Diana Krall) is pregnant. For that matter she won't be touring for a while either, so I'm sure he's just doing what he can to keep the $ rolling in.

What really shocked me was this comment from the press release from UMe President Bruce Resnikoff:

"Bringing artists of the caliber of Elvis Costello on board is the kind of strategic marketing initiative that is crucial to maintaining and even elevating our high standards. Besides reaching his core fans, we expect to be able to bring his music to a new generation, to a new consumer audience." "

Record companies haven't been noted lately for trying to nurture the back catalogue of acts who like to record a lot of uncommercial material. Of course, I understand the concept of having a "prestige act" who brings some credibility to a label but I thought that strategy went out the window back in the 80s. I guess everything old is new again (just like Elvis' back catalogue).

I notice the press release does say "Album plans include ... box sets, live albums..." but yes, unless these reissues throw in a bonus live album and/or remastering by Steve I can't see myself forking out for stuff I've already bought on LP, Ryko CD and Rhino CD.

Obviously some serious $ were waved in Costello's face. I know his back catalogue sells reasonably well, but apparently it sells even better than I thought!

11. I have the 2 and a half years Ryko box set, and I am really content with it. I bought 'Armed Forces', and 'This Year's Model' on Rhino, and to tell you the truth, I wasn't all that impressed. So much so, that I've been dragging my feet on buying 'My Aim Is True'.

Just give me my original vinyl LP's, and as far as I'm concerned, that's all I need.

12. tcj

tcj Senior Member

It's too bad the reissues can't include that Costello & Nieve box from the mid-90s, maybe expanded to full discs rather than a handful of songs on each disc like it was back when it was released.

13. Sean Murdock

Maybe it is, and I'd love to be wrong, but the article states plainly that

and that sounds to me like something will be added so that Universal can claim these are the "best ever" editions of these albums. By promising "definitive" reissues, they are stating by implication that the Rhinos are NOT definitive. It seems obvious to me what the plan is.

14. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Its pretty hard to imagine Universal doing anything on par with the job that Rhino and Andrew Sandoval did on EC . I would be sure to buy those Rhinos you dont have already now or be prepared to regret it later.

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I still can't believe it's not April 1st. I've loved EC since day one and been collecting him avidly.
    My take on this is that his back catalog was bought out for a lot of $, and the people that bought it want a return on their investment, quite naturally. That return would come from the most part from his "classic" back releases. How much EC is responsible for this "press release" is debatable - I think all he knows is another label is handling his back catalog and future releases. As all of us would, he signed on the dotted line and took the check. He's not an idiot - he must have felt comfortable with them to sign.
    It's way too early to cry "sell out", or try to imagine what will come of his golden back catalog. Another poster mentioned that this like a "mantle passed" and things would switch to another label for new generations. That's a good thing, for sure. His music is timeless and deserves to remain in print by whatever label for all newcomers. Can't imagine a world without EC in it...
    They may not "entice" us older fans with their "ultimate definitive super-duper wallet-smashing " re-re-leases of his back catalog, but we CAN hope for the many possible boxed sets, dvds, hi-res releases, SURPRISES, etc., that may pan out of this major label move. So much live footage, tv appearances <have you checked the bonus stuff on the "Right Spectacle" dvd?> remain unreleased. That's just the tip of the iceberg, believe me.
    There STILL has not been a <hopefully "coffeetable-sized">book that truly represents his history in a graphic as well as informative way.
    I remain optimistic. Like all of you, I already have the classic stuff in acceptable condition at this point. So, no problem. Let's wait for the new stuff that the new label promises - we may be happy to see it - don't know about you, but I always have room for some new vintage gold from EC.

16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

That's a fair point... but I'd point out that the Billboard article is simply a rewritten version of Universal's press release. In its original context, the "definitive reissues" quote is not made in reference to any previous release. The phrase strikes me as more than a little ambiguous.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Now, that's worth thinking about. Who knows how "modernized" <ahem> that precious back catalog will be mastered in their new incarnations? Again, get the good versions <Rhino!> of the cds you really like now, then wait with fingers crossed for some cool new stuff!

18. Sean Murdock

Thanks for the link to the actual press release -- the phrase "definitive reissues" does sound slightly less ominous in its original context. I have to admit that some of the things mentioned here:

sound pretty exciting. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

19. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

This would be a perfect release for Hip-O Select. I'd buy one (especially so I could get another Hip-O pencil :sigh:)

Chris

20. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

The part that I am looking forward to is the live shows, be it audio or video. There is a ton of stuff out there that collectors have and the idea of cleaned up copies to listen to and /or watch sounds wonderful. Every part of Elvis's career and been taped ot filmed. As for the CDS, unless they have stuff on them that I do not already own, I am passing.....

21. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

This boggles the mind. I haven't even finished buying all the Rhinos!

I might spring for another copy of King of America, if the mastering is the same as the Rhino and they use the original cover (not the colorized version that Rhino used). But unless they're hybrid SACDs or redbook mastered by Steve (not gonna happen), I'll pass.

22. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Sonically, I don't imagine anything improving on the rhinos.

23. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I bought the Columbias, the Rykos, the Rhinos, and I'll no doubt pick up any future "definitive reissues."

The key for me is that I'm a bona fide Costello nut. So it's money well spent to me, especially if there are more live tracks. Costello's bands (in their various incarnations) have always delivered great live shows, and the Rhinos usually only tease us with a few live cuts per bonus disc. The exceptions were some of the more recent reissues--King of America, Juliet Letters, and Kojak Variety, to name the ones that come first to mind--and those extra discs are played far more often than the original albums.

All of you skeptics, consider this: aren't the Rykos and Rhino good value for the money? Well, if any future reissues don't seem worth it, then save your money and keep your earlier versions.

But if these latest reissues have quality stuff like the earlier ones had (and they're priced well), I'll buy 'em.

It's that simple.

24. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Well, having invested in the complete set of Rhino's I don't feel the need to buy these again. However, the live/rarities/limited editions mention does sound intriguing. On the off-chance that there are some Universal or Hip-O people listening, I wouldn't mind seeing:
    -A complete Live on Broadway,1986 - The reissues had excerpts but *someone* must have the whole thing
    -How about the Costello/Nieve box set reissued with the complete sets from each of the five nights? There was enough variation in the setlists to make this worthwhile. Besides, they weren't worried about overlap the first time around, what with two versions of "Long Honeymoon"
    -Complete set of the Wendy James demos?
    I'm sure there's more, I just can think of it right now . . .!

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It's a little annoying to see this kind of stuff over and over, but "alienating" might be an exaggeration. Nobody forces anyone to buy these things four times over, and I suspect by now there is dwindling interest even amongst hardcore fans. If a fan is satisfied with his original LPs or with one of the CD reissue sets, why would he or she become alienated? Just don't buy the next round if nothing truly better or desirable is on offer. Vote with your pocketbook, as they say. When I read these posts I can hear the sighs of addicts and compulsive collectors who feel compelled to buy the new versions, and then chafe at the expense. They begin to develop a love/hate relationship with the artist, as though it would be better if a reissue didn't even exist. Then there would be no pain involved and no choice to make. Ah, the folly of human beings and their desires...the strategies concocted to persuade you to part with your money...Just think of this as transferring the same stuff over to another label and a different profit center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.