Elvis Costello Albums to be Reissued -- Again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Pooh. I was expecting something more from upcoming Costello releases. Yuck.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

They're probably just putting the Rhino discs of these back into print.

3. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

For some reason I always associated EC with vinyl, and his records were easy to find and cheap. I only have one single cd of his- the Ryko "armed forces". I'm a little confused reading this thread. I always thought there was low regard for remasters around here, but yet everyone still seems to buy them like crazy. I read the thread because I am thinking of getting the 2 disc deluxe edition with live tracks of "This years model" which will, if I read this right, sound more compressed than earleir editions on the album tracks, and like a rhino elsewhere? These deluxe issues seem to be coming out in droves, I notice REM and Black Sabbath are starting in with them too.

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

The problem with Costello reissues is that buying them is unavoidable if you're a fanatic and you want the added material. The Universal 2 CD of TYM is fantastic if only for that concert disc. An amazing show in its own right. But the main album is the same as the Rhino edition (which sounds okay but definitely adds some compression etc).

5. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Yes ... these aren't really new reissues. It's just that the Rhinos went out of print. It seems that Rhino still have the rights to the Warner-era Costello albums and so are just putting the best selling titles back into print again.

6. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

And the single disc hipo TYM would be the same sound for the album tracks? After listening to clips, I think I prefer the studio versions to the live, there's a lot of little intricacies missing on the live versions and the studio versions seem just as energetic.

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yes to your first question.

I'm normally a studio recording guy but the Attractions from 1977-1979 were one of the best live bands and I think the live versions are a completely different animal. That Washington show is one killer set and among my favorite concert recordings of all time. One huge ball of energy.

8. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

It interested me that it's The Warner theater, seen a lot of great shows there, looks like I'll shop around for the double disc. Has anyone compared vinyl to the hipos?

9. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

10. JPwalker

JPwalker Forum Resident

I might check these out. My original UK Porky vinyl is lacking top-end.

11. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

MFSL 180g Vinyl

The Music Direct newsletter for today has an announcement for the first three Costello lp's......Release date is still to be decided on.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Maybe they will also release this one that was playing at Starbuck's today, from Elvis & Attractions Costello. What a band! Sadly, I've never heard of them.

Attached Files:

13. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.