Elton John - "Captain Fantastic" Deluxe Edition Sept. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ACK!, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The old DJM CD has ALL the gynamics and then some! :righton: Wonder how the new one compares...

2. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

decisions decisions...have neither album (SACD or deluxe) in any format...yet. It's a shame that this deluxe disc could have been a hybrid sacd just like they did for GBYBR (deluxe) and NIN' the Downard Spiral (deluxe edition). Not having "House of Cards" on the sacd really bites.

I see that "House of Cards" is on this release:
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hg5gtq4ztu44

Might have to find/purchase "Rare Masters" later...
    ###​

3. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

The LP IS extremely dynamic, and the earlier poster is correct; the SACD is compressed and additionally suffers from an unnecessary treble boost--on an already trebly album.

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Tony Cousins remastered this and also the stereo mixes on the SACD, so i assume the redbook on both of these are the same.

Can anyone who already picked this up comment on the sound and performance on the live disc?

5. timw

timw Senior Member

Bill, the only reason I picked this up was for the live disc. I think its great! The sound quality is good and live performance of the entire CF album is amazing IMO! I didn't realize for this concert that most of his original band was gone! I think Davey Johnstone was the only remaining member. Another surprise was hearing him announce "James Howard on keyboards". This IS James Newton Howard who is doing a lot of excellent movie soundtrack work these days!
    It was worth the $20 :righton:
    Tim

6. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I picked this up yesterday. I’ve only listened to the live disc. I think I read somewhere that this performance was often bootlegged. Well, I’ve never heard the boot, so don’t know how it compares. I can’t imagine that it is better though. I am, once again, amazed at how well a 30 year old recording can sound. To my ears this is a stellar performance with top-notch sound. This live disc was my reason for purchasing this set…I have not been let down. A+

7. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

My local Best Buy merged the separate DVD-A and SACD sections into one single HiRes section about two weeks ago. Titles were briefly restocked, but I suspect once the current ones are sold the HiRes section is history.

Derek

8. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Bugger!

UK websites have the release date put back to 10th October :(

9. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i picked it up on my lunch break and am listening now to the live show, it is great sounding and such a nice treat to hear. thanks for the reviews.

i always hoped to find this show bootlegged but never came across one. the packaging is quite extravegant having reproduced all those booklets and posters in miniature.

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

They should have put the SACD in there as the "CD". That would have been a TRUE "deluxe" edition!

11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Yeah - it's not the "ultimate" edition - I'm debating whether or not to buy this - I have the SACD/CD which is fantastic. So is the SACD going to go out of print? I don't quite get this... why didn't they just put out the live disc? All those bonus tracks are available elsewhere, too and no longer feel very bonusy.

JEFF!

12. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Absolutely! I would have bought it AGAIN if they had, but at this point, I refuse! I own the MCA LP, the DJM CD, the Polydor CD, the Rocket CD & the SACD/CD Hybrid. I have reached my limit! I would have picked it up if they were simply "upgrading" the hybrid to a deluxe version.

Minor thread crap: Does anyone know why "Don't Shoot Me" was "skipped over" & never released as a hybrid? Was it done & just never released...or was there some sort of other problem? I know that SACD is disappearing, but jeez, it would be nice to at least fill this hole. (I know, I know, it would be nice to see the Moodies & the Steely Dans...but that's a different thing all together. This is a "hole".)

Dexter

13. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

This has been gone over in other threads, but from what I've heard, Greg Penny was either working on, or finished with five more that have yet to come outd (will they ever)? "Don't Shoot Me," "Caribou," "Rock of the Westies..." two more. I don't remember which now. Big disappointment if they don't.

JEFF!

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Picked mine up at Tower today, $19.99. Haven't listened yet but my wife and I are both looking forward to hearing the live version of the album!!

15. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

No conspiracy theory....

The CDs were released with Capt. Fantastic (DJM CD1), Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (DJM CD2) and Greatest Hits Vol 1(DJM CD3).

I guess they thought they'd try the new CD format with the most popular.

Same with 5.1.

No point starting with "Empty Sky".

Post 18 at http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=59236&highlight=DJM is Greg Penny's reply to forum member "crazywater" in which he says

16. stever

stever Senior Member

So, let me get this straight -- the first disc of this deluxe edition is the same mastering as the Rocket remaster AND the redbook layer of the SACD? Same bonus tracks as well?

17. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I can't speak for the mastering (although I assume it is all the same), but the Deluxe Edition does add one more bonus track (House of Cards) to disc one that the Rocket remaster and sacd redbook layer do not have.

18. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I believe there were plans to release "Don't Shoot Me" and a few more Ej titles as hybrids at some point. With labels abandoning SACD, those plans have apparenty been scuttled.

19. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

No. The Rocket remaster and the redbook layer of the SACD are different masterings entirely. Haven't heard the new disc yet, so I don't know if it corresponds to either, or neither, of the above.

20. stever

stever Senior Member

Thanx, David. I had always assumed that, what with people here expressing their disgust with the boost on both pressings...

21. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

I just picked mine up a Tower. Thanks for the tip. I already have the DJM, SACD and my beat up old original LP. This looks awesome with mini replica books and all. I can't wait to hear the live disc. I never knew they performed this entire album live.

22. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

The MCA is my favourite on CD of this title. This was in comparison to djm and remaster..... not heard the SACD.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Anymore reviews on sound quality from folks who've picked this up?

24. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Is the booklet of the "Fantastic" Deluxe version jewel case-sized or oversized?

25. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I just listened to this set today and I really enjoyed the live version of the album on disc two. The musicianship during this set is almost unbelievably good--what an incredible band.
    The concert was obviously very well recorded and Greg Penny's mix is superb. I found the mastering on disc one to be wayyyyy too bright for my taste.

Personally, I didn't have Elton's version of Lennon's "One Day At A Time" (one of my favorite Lennon covers) so I'm happy to have it on disc one. It does not sound like noise reduction was used on this set (someone with sharper ears may tell me otherwise) but the EQ disappointed me in this release .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.