Ed's Bee Gees Appreciation Thread Part 2: 1975-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

This one is fine and 2 Olivia Nweton-John duets are beautiful BUT Andy could hardly sing during the sessions (I guess too much coke didn't help) so most of the times it sounds like a great karaoke record. More then that Barry had to mix Livvy's voice way too low in order not to kill Andy's. Just compare Livvy's vocals on Xanadu (done the same year) to both of these tracks and you'll see what I mean. Though once again the arrangements are superb and remastered CD sounds awesome!
    An interesting fact - Warm Ride was originaly recorded by Gibb's cousin Graham Bonnet in 1978 and went to N1 in Australia. Now that was a killer version (given Graham's powerhouse vocals!) and one of THE disco classics of the era in my book. Wonder if Graham's version made Ritchie Blackmore pick up the phone and ask Graham to replace Dio in Rainbow... Andy's Warm Ride of course pales in comparison.

2. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I knew nothing about Graham Bonnet, but I did know the recording of "Warm Ride" by the R&B band Rare Earth. I only recently learned that Andy also recorded it and Graham Bonnet is an even greater surprise. Now I'll have to hear it, too.

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Emilio, you mean - you knew nothing about Graham Bonnet recording Warm Ride or nothing about him as a singer?

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

Time for more '80s solo stuff, this time from Robin:

HOW OLD ARE YOU? was a very good record--fine songs, performances--but, although it did well in Europe, typical of his hard luck in the US, this, like his other solo work, didn't make the US charts, although "Juliet" did Bubble Under for a few weeks.

Like other Gibb solo albums, the CD edition is now long OOP and costs a bundle when you can find it!

1. Juliet
    2. How Old Are You
    3. In And Out Of Love
    4. Kathy's Gone
    5. Don't Stop The Night

6. Another Lonely Night In New York
    7. Danger
    8. He Can't Love You
    9. Hearts On Fire
    10. I Believe In Miracles

Attached Files:

5. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Really? I'm sure I saw one last weekend. I must go back and look.

6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Ed, it's easily available in almost every Moscow record store for $13 or something. The CD sounds rather poor though. Overall the only good Robin Gibb album with a very different production - it's far removed from classic Criteria Studios sound and much closer to...early-mid 80's Jeff Lynne efforts, both ELO and solo. Juliete was a huge hit in Europe and still a very recognisable song.

7. Ed Bishop

I stand corrected: apparently this one is back in print in Europe....I was probably thinking of the NOW VOYAGER situation(though there is good news about that one! May be reissued by the end of the year...)

:ed:

8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

What? :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:
    Now Voyager reissued? Where did you hear that?

9. Ed Bishop

Barry mentioned that during his Saturday afternoon chat a few weeks ago....:) No further details, but it is in the works, we just have to wait. His website is still under construction, but it looks nice(no, no message board--and if he's smart, he won't have one!)

10. Ed Bishop

Time for SECRET AGENT, which contains Robin's only US chart record during this period(the opening track). Good effort, did Bubble Under Lp's at #204 in August 1984.

1. Boys Do Fall In Love
    2. In Your Diary
    3. Robot
    4. Rebecca

5. Secret Agent
    6. Livin' In Another World
    7. X-Ray Eyes
    8. King Of Fools
    9. Diamonds

Attached Files:

11. Ed Bishop

It certainly can't be said Robin wasted his time during the brothers' '80s hiatus from the Bee Gees. WALLS HAVE EYES, from 1985, was another creditable effort, with some participations from the bros. No significant US chart action, however....

1. Someone To Believe In
    2. Like A Fool
    3. Gone With The Wind
    4. Toys
    5. These Walls Have Eyes

6. Do You Love Her
    7. Possession
    8. Heartbeat In Exile
    9. You Don't Say Us Anymore
    10. Remedy

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][size=-1][/size][/font]

Attached Files:

12. Ed Bishop

Barry's NOW VOYAGER did Ok in the US--#72 on the Billboard Lp chart--and garnered a #37 hit with "Shine Shine." IMO, the best of the solo Gibb albums of the '80s, but nonetheless, did not do huge business, despite its quality and the Bee Gees rep. This one remains OOP, but there may be a re-release or remaster in the offing. Let's hope!

1. I Am Your Driver
    2. Fine Line
    3. Face To Face
    4. Shatterproof
    5. Shine Shine
    6. Lesson In Love
    7. One Night
    8. Stay Alone
    9. Temptation
    10. She Says
    11. The Hunter

Attached Files:

13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Now the GOOD news is that this fantastic Holy Grail for Bee Gees fans is finaly geting it's remastered release by the end of the year. I think the same goes for the Now Voyager video - DVD will be out in 2005. The album is fantastic - funky and powerful, it breathes total artistic freedom, not a sign of commerce and of course an awesome Olivia Newton - John duet "Face to Face". Blows away all Robin Gibb solo albums taken together and proves who's the main talent in Bee Gees. :edthumbs:

14. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I would also like to add to Ed's info that the re-master of "Now Voyager" will probably include new artwork as well.

15. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Yes, the first time I heard "Juliette" in 1983 I was almost sure it was a new ELO song- good stuff!

16. Ed Bishop

Ok, Ok, let's get going again....:D

Yep, time to get back in the Bee Gees groove, and that means the fall of 1987 and E-S-P. After a long association with Polydor/RSO in the states, the guys went to Warner Bros. But while other arts of the world were ready to put the brothers high on the charts, no such luck in the USA, where "You Win Again" could get no higher than #75 pop and #50(the lowest position)on the AC charts.

My opinion? Several strong tracks, the same familiar sound, but.....the wonderful cover photography was more appealing than the sum of the songs within.

Side 1:

1. E.S.P.
    2. You Win Again
    3. Live Or Die
    4. Giving Up The Ghost
    5. The Longest Night

Side 2:

6. This Is Your Life
    7. Angela
    8. Overnight
    9. Crazy For Your Love
    10. Backtafunk
    11. E.S.P. (reprise)

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][size=-1][/size][/font]

Attached Files:

17. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

This might sound flippant, but an album would have to be great to make up for a track called Backtafunk. And ESP isn't a great album.

18. Ed Bishop

Uh...no it ain't! :D

19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I agree E.S.P. was a weak album, despite 2 great tracks - the title track and You Win Again of course - wasn't it a N1 hit in UK and pretty much everywhere else except US? And what the hell does ESP mean? :help:

20. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Nothing about him as a singer. And, of course, nothing about him recording "Warm Ride".

21. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Funny, I recently got a hold of an Argentinean (legit) copy and it wasn't expensive. I think it may be still in print there.

22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, I don't know about your musical tastes but anyway if I were you I'd check this guy out! :righton: He simply has an incredible voice. His first band Marbles had a record in 69 written and produced by Barry Gibb and it's out on CD now. Includes the hit Only one woman. In 1979 he replaced Dio in Rainbow and recorded a hard rock classic "Down to Earth" since then becoming a hard rock/metal legend. I would also recommend his AOR 1981 record Line Up, his Alcatrazz CDs with Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai as well as his 1991 pop covers CD Here Comes the Night.

23. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Ed wrote later that he mixed this one up with Now Voyager, Secret Agent and Walls have Eyes. These ones are OOP.

24. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

Not as strong as fans would have hoped, there were glimpses of brilliance. I think an overlooked track has been Angela which I find to be one of the better tracks on the album. You Win Again should have been a hit. Not sure why it missed other than it was the Bee Gees. Would it have fared better if the record were released "blind" like Donny Osmonds come back?

25. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

You Win Again WAS a huge hit around the world - goin' to N1 in UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.