Ed's Bee Gees Appreciation Thread Part 1: 1963-1974

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Hi,

I recall that Rare Collection, Japanese cd released ca. 1990, has Tomorrow tomorrow in mono. There are some 5-6 tracks of their early stuff like Sinking ships, Sir Geoffrey saved the world, Baker of the U.F.O but don't recall if they are in mono. I'll check tonight. Just out of curiosity, the mono version of I've gotta get a message to you (with loud bass) was ever released on cd? Can't remember if the version of I've gotta get a message in the vinyl Best of Bee Gees (volume 1/yellow cover) has that loud bass at beginning of the song.

Regards,
    Helio

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Interesting...Ed says Colin Peterson sings lead on "Don't Forget to Remember"; Lorin says it's Barry Gibb.

What is probably little-known is that Skeeter Davis recorded a very effective country cover version of this song, with her patented double-tracked harmony on the chorus. Wasn't a big hit, but did get some airplay.

I liked it so much I incorporated it into the repertoire of the country bar band I started playing in in early 1975. If my drummer and I got back together today, I'll bet we could still do it!

3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Hard to believe that only one single was lifted from Odessa (in the U.S. and the U.K. anyway; other places had "Melody Fair" as a 45, and Jose Feliciano charted with a cover of "Marley Purt Drive")... and three were taken from Cucumber Castle...

You could make an argument that the B-sides from the singles were as good as, if not better than, the A-sides. "Don't Forget to Remember" is worthy, but I always liked "The Lord" too; with the other two, there's no contest, as "Then You Left Me" is a better song than the silly "I.O.I.O.," and "Sweetheart" is a more interesting track than "If Only I Had My Mind on Something Else." "Sweetheart" became a #2 hit on the Easy Listening charts for Engelbert Humperdinck (it just missed the Top 40 pop), so someone noted the song's potential.

One oddity with the singles here: In Canada only, "Don't Forget to Remember" was issued with a mono mix of "I Lay Down and Die" on the B-side that evidently has noticeable differences from the version on this album. I don't have it, so I can only go based on what Joe Brennan says, and he's rarely wrong about such things.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

I may be thinking of the 45 credit, where the three remaining members are listed, which is most unusual(and surprisingly, NOT listed in Joel Whitburn's otherwise meticulous Top Pop Singles, where he even remembered to get the single credit for The Band's "The Weight" correct--it was credit to all five men by name, not the group). Whenever I think of this single, I think of Colin, because, like Vince, never got much credit for anything(Blue Weaver would understand, I think...)

BTW, I have the US DJ of this single, and it's stereo/mono, which is nice...stock's were still commonly mono back then for many 45's, but some companies were slipping stereo mixes onto the radio station copies, Atco/Atlantic being one....

It's a nice version, got to #44 C&W in early '74....

:ed:

5. Ed Bishop

"Tomorrow" is mono on the BEST OF BEE GEES CD, didn't appear on the original US Atco Lp from '69....Mr. Inglot remixed to stereo for the box set, as he did the other single sides that hadn't been issued in stereo up to that time...

Bill Inglot's stereo remix of the single version of "Message" comes close to the spirit of the 45, the mix is about right, the bass probably not quite as pronounced, but without playing it again(that's for tonight), I remember hearing some punch(nice to have a sub so I can crank it up at will).

The others? Possibly came out somewhere on CD before the Bee Gees box Billy did, but on most reissue Lp's, the non-stereo tracks were usually rechanneled....

6. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Hey Ed,

we seem to have skipped over Odessa!

7. Ed Bishop

Forgot? Well, yes..and no:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=916059&postcount=66

:D

Mentioned the album in the opening post, a few after that, forgot the track listing!

1. Odessa (city on the black sea)
    2. You'll never see my face again
    3. Black diamond
    4. Marley purt drive
    5. Edison
    6. Melody fair
    7. Suddenly
    8. Whisper, whisper
    9. Lamplight
    10. Sound of love
    11. Give your best
    12. Seven seas symphony
    13. With all nations (International Anthem) (left out on some CDs)
    14. I laugh in your face
    15. Never say never again
    16. First of May
    17. The British opera

Fine album, don't miss it....:D

Seriously, it is criminally underrated, already discussed. Michael and I would note that some tracks(from the non-US mono edition) seem to be dedicated mono mixes, while much of the album has that 'folded-down' sound. The stereo mixes all fans should be familiar with.

More later....

8. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I wanted to highlight Odessa as I believe that this is one of the best albums of the late 1960s. Ed seems to agree with me, so it must be true :D

We're not the only people to regard this as a great album. Mojo included this album in the book The Mojo Collection: The Greatest Albums of All Time. Looking at the track selection, 11 of the 17 tracks are strong enough to argue their way onto a compilation of the Bee Gees 1960s tracks.

First of May was the only single taken from Odessa, possibly because the group were in a bit of turmoil at the time (Robin Gibb left the group later in 1969). I'm not sure if it was the best choice, as First of May will sound a little twee to some. (A Lulu TV special a few years back included Maurice Gibb and Lulu duetting on First of May. Maurice and Lulu were married for a time).

Odessa was the final Bee Gees album released in mono (in the UK, not the US). My understanding is that only three tracks (Odessa, Lamplight and First of May had dedicated mono mixes, as they were in consideration for single release. The rest of the album being a fold down.

Vinyl copies of the album seem reasonably plentiful, but the mono vinyl in very good or better condition is rare and these days goes for high prices on eBay. The original album had a felt cover, which hasn't worn very well. Finding a near mint felt cover is a bit of a task. I have a copy of Odessa that was presented in a box, much like some classical box sets of the time. The front of the box is covered in felt, while the sides are gold.

Like the other early Bee Gees albums, there have been two releases. The first, on the RSO label, for some reason omits the short instrumental With All Nations (International Theme). The inside picture (a sailor throwing a child from a sinking ship into the arms of people in a lifeboat) is in black and white, instead of the green of the original.

The Bee Gees CD to buy is is the reissue, released after the Bee Gees were inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame. Released on the Polydor label, this CD features all 17 tracks.

9. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

1969 and 1970 (pre-reunion) saw a few interesting Gibb projects. The single Tomorrow Tomorrow was a minor hit (#54 US, #23 UK) but didn't feature on the Bee Gees next album. As Ed pointed out, it's available on the CD issue of Best of...

The Cucumber Castle album barely scrapped into the top 100 in the USA (#94). First single was Don't forget to Remember, a song that was played regularly on New Zealand radio for years afterwards! While some in this thread have been unkind to IOIO, it's about the funkiest the Gibbs would get until 1975. This song also introduces a recurring theme in several Bee Gees songs - the joy (probably for Barry Gibb) of being awake in the early morning: "Well I love getting up in the morning..."

And speaking of mornings, one of my favourite Bee Gees songs of this era was recorded in 1970. In the morning ("that's the time I love the best") appeared on the soundtrack to the movie Melody. It's since appeared on various Bee Gees compilations.

Robin Gibb's solo album, Robin's Reign also came out in 1970. I don't know the album - do you want to make any comments on it Ed?

10. Ed Bishop

You rang, Sir....:D

ROBIN'S REIGN is actually a pretty solid effort....but while "Saved By The Bell," the single, did well in the UK--and Canada--it croaked stateside...always wondered if that, and the album's crappy sales were the catalyst for Robin's return to the bros....maybe, maybe not, but they kissed and made up, since that one's turned up on comps over the years. With a little luck--which Robin didn't have--"August October," "Weekend" and "Most Of My Life" coulda seen some action, but just as Barry & Mo's commercial luck was fading--however temporarily--Robin was even worse off.

Oddly, the stereo Lp mix of "Saved By The Bell" sounds as if it's from the unedited master tape...the single version is basically the same except that the chorus is repeated, and the mix jumps a notch or two in power, while the Lp mix just kinda hangs around limp. I don't think the 45 version has been on any CD release, and not sure I even have it on vinyl, they usually slip the Lp version in, and to my surprise, Bill missed that one for the box set, maybe he never bothered to reference the 45, or else didn't have the 45 tape to work with. Pity, I prefer it over the Lp version, obviously.

For some reason, never bothered to get the CD...should do something about that!

Attached Files:

11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

LIVING EYES IN REISSUED (REMASTERED) ON CD IN JAPAN! :goodie: CHECK OUT MY SEPARATE "LIVING EYES REMASTER" THREAD!

12. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

I always wondered what went wrong with Robin's Reign. I recall reading somewhere that Robin could never finish the album and after sometime the label decided to release it "as it was". It is also my understanding that Maurice helped Robin "finish up" the album with backing vocal and perhaps playing some instruments. Looking back, with advantage of 35 years, maybe Robin's Reign was some sort of light pop album, maybe too light to compete wit Led Zep...Nonetheless, I consider it one of those great lost albums..One million years (love the way Robin sings "..and I will wait for yoU for one million years..."), Mother and Jack, August October, Saved by the bell...What a great album!!

Regards,
    Helio
    PS. I guess it is a pity it was never properly released on cd format.

13. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Just nitpicking, a sidenote, but the re-issue with 17 tracks has also a cover with a color closer to the original velvet cover, kind purple (the re-issue also has this green drawing isn't it?), the old one with 16 tracks had a red cover.

Regards,
    Helio

14. Ed Bishop

ROBIN'S REIGN was issued on CD, in Europe anyway: Polydor 847 914-2.

Track listing, before I forget:

[font=comic sans ms,arial,helvetica]1. August October
    2. Gone gone gone
    3. The worst girl in this town
    4. Give me a smile
    5. Down came the sun
    6. Mother and Jack

7. Saved by the bell
    8. Weekend
    9. Farmer Ferdinand Hudson
    10. Lord bless all
    11. Most of my life

There's also an Italian CD issue that has several bonus cuts, including a few songs sung in Italian, some live material, an acetate version of "Bell".....

ROBIN'S REIGN and CUCUMBER CASTLE finish up what we could think of as Phase 2 of the lads' career, Phase I being, obviously, the Australian period that culminated with the very great "Spicks And Specks." I'm sure we'll get into depth about those songs eventually. Next up:

2 YEARS ON begins Phase III of the Bee Gees career. Robin returns to the fold, the group continues as a trio for the rest of its days, now hiring backing musicians and not adding any formal band members, as they had done from 1967-70.

[/font] 1.2 Years On
    2. Portrait Of Louise
    3. Man For All Seasons
    4. Sincere Relation
    5. Back Home
    6. The First Mistake I Made

7. Lonely Days
    8. Alone Again
    9. Tell Me Why
    10. Lay It On Me
    11. Every Second, Every Minute
    12. I'm Weeping
    [font=comic sans ms,arial,helvetica]
    A spotty album, but some good music here, even if "Lonely Days" has not worn well with the years. Bottom line, though, was that the group was back in the Top Ten, and it had been two years since "I Started A Joke" did the same in the USA.

Overall, 2 YEARS ON is a pleasing effort, nothing outstanding going on, but a very relaxed album, from which they'd push themselves back into the spotlight, if only for another two years, and another commercial dropoff.

[/font]

Attached Files:

15. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Yes, you're right. The new cover does emulate the colour of the felt LPs nicely. The cover typography being smaller than on the original also adds a little more elegance to the package.

16. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Looking at the track listing of Two Years On, there are only two tracks (Man for all seasons and Lonely Days) that I can remember what they sound like!

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Just blasted my W.German "Main Course" and, boy, it sounds awesome! I highly doubt this CD needs any remastering at all. What do you guys think are the best CDs for "Children of the World","Saturday Night Fever" and "Spirits having flown"? And also where can I find the tune "Woman in you brings out the man in me"? I guess it's an early 80's single? Love that video! :shh:

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Anton, that's on the STAYING ALIVE soundtrack. Horrible sequel to SNF, but that's a catchy song, you bet!

19. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

True, but the cd was released in Europe only through Karroussel (correct spelling?) and it was on racks for a very short period of time. Fact is I never saw this cd. The Italian cd "Salvato della Campanella" (again not sure if spelling is correct) is not exactly an official release although it has a couple of bonus tracks. I'm still waiting for an official release. BTW, was Robin's Magnet ever released in US? The Brazilian version of Magnet has a bonus track where Robin sings Tantas Palavras (Please) with Marlon & Maicon, a Brazilian duo of country singers.

Regards,
    Helio

20. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

I agree, just checked both cds, the old one (red cover) has a black drawing whereas the ne one (purple cover) has a green drawing, which gives a much closer feeling to the original vinyl. BTW, do you if all cds were re-issued by the time they were inducted to the R&R Hall of fame? Besides Odessa any other title has some remarkable difference?

Regards,
    Helio

21. Ed Bishop

Okay, here we go again. 1971, and TRAFALGAR, kind of(at least to my mind)sequel to ODESSA. Kind of a downbeat album, doesn't rock much, but does have the #1 hit "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart," along with the followup "Don't Wanna Live Inside Myself" and the sad "Dearest." A good album, but looking back, except for the big hit, not very commercial, and deeply introspective. Must have been a few emotional rough patches here for a few of the boys, and there's also a certain presence at times that reminds me of the Moody Blues, though could never put my finger on just what that is.

1. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
    2. Israel
    3. The Greatest Man In The World
    4. It's Just The Way
    5. Remembering
    6. Somebody Stop The Music

7. Trafalgar
    8. Don't Wanna Live Inside Myself
    9. When Do I
    10. Dearest
    11. Lion In Winter
    12. Walking Back To Waterloo

Attached Files:

22. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Does anyone know why MFSL did a rerelease of Trafalger? It always seemed an odd choice to me.

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I don't what the criteria was, but it's definitely a gorgeously produced album. Easily in the top 10 MFSL golds (that I've owned anyway), and one I use to demo my system when folks come over.

24. Ed Bishop

You are correct, Patrick: one of the better MFSL's.

The stereo mixes for the first two albums were not the best ever made by anyone; starting with IDEA the sound and mix improved considerably.

Not sure how some titles get chosen or licensed over others. Boutique labels like DCC and MFSL often license obvious titles, but sometimes they'd toss a sinker ball your way and offer something...unusual. MFSL putting out the first two Velvet Underground's is a good example, since it made no real sense in terms of upgraded sound quality(how do you make these 'better'?) We got Joni's BLUE from DCC, but COURT AND SPARK would have been just as appropriate. And why just one Dylan title? The realities of the situation are complex, I'm sure.

25. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Thanks to this thread, I just picked up Odessa from the local library. Nice stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.