Early Roxy Music CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

:yikes:

2. darkmatter

I have completed the same exercises, three of my earliest discs (by Issue date)are the "Red Face" versions which sound truly amazing :D

Simon :)

3. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Are these the WG editions, as opposed to those made in the UK/Holland?

I've since added the Flesh + Blood black triangle to my collection, which is a big improvement on the EGCD. I'll keep the EGCD though - why break up a complete set :)

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

your memory is correct (from what I remember!) There may have been a sticker with the song titles, though. I don't remember! :)

5. darkmatter

Hi Russell,

Good to talk again, hope all is well. Indeed, all mine are the WG first pressed discs,I will have to look out a copy of the F&B BT disc :agree:

Hows Loei?

6. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Thank's for the info stereoptic. I guess I'm not completely senile. Yet.:thumbsup:

7. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Hi Simon, he's sitting quietly on the couch, quite oblivious to his world-wide fanbase :)

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of prices do those WG Roxy discs command, and have you been able to compare them to the standard UK/Holland issues?

In the used bins here I've mainly seen Aus pressings, which I think are just clones of the UK mastering. I wanted the UK versions so have sourced them all off ebay.co.uk.

Russ

8. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Are the "red faced" versions different from the "blue ring" versions. My "Stranded" is EG/Polydor - Made in W. Germany in 1984. I have never seen a "red faced" Roxy CD. Can someone fill me in?

9. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Question:

I know Windows Media Player has the little HDCD indicator light up when an HDCD disc is detected. Does it actually decode HDCD?

10. darkmatter

The Red Face discs are the very first pressings to come of the production lines. They were produced from Sept 82 until about late 83, dcathro who has helped me a lot, will know exactly I'm sure, though some other labels like Gramavision released Red Face type discs into 94.
    There are collectors out there for these; guess, as I have a few now, I could be classed as a collector?
    I go for the sonics mainly some say that the Red Face discs are sonically superior, I tend to agree. I have the Blue ring and the Red Face Avalon put them on and listened to them, a blind test for my wife and we preferred the Red Faced disc, my Wife said the music flowed better!

guessing that there will not be a Red Face "Stranded" as it was released after they ceased pressing them.

I have seen Red Faced discs released in 800 0xx , 810 xxx and some 811 xxx One of the "Last" I have funny enough is a James Last disc "Biscaya" 811 516-2, and Barclay James Harvest " Ring of Changes" 811 638-2

Simon

Picture below is of the RM "Avalon" disc, not my scan I should add.

Attached Files:

11. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Thank's for the info darkmatter. Are you saying "Stranded" was released after they ceased pressing the red face? Yet there is a red faced Avalon? Just a tad confused.

12. darkmatter

Hi,

What is the Cat number of "Stranded" I don't have that one? I'm still collecting Roxy discs

Also if it is a PolyGram pressing (EG/Polydor) It would be useful if you could give me the "matrix" number these are the small numbers near to the hub hole as read from the playing side.

Regards,

13. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

cat no. 823 019-2

matrix is identical to cat no. followed by a space then 01.

14. darkmatter

Hi
    Thanks for that the cat number info, this however will be too late to of been released as a "Red Faced" disc though this is an early first press probably released late 84 into 85?, bet it sounds good :agree:
    Regards,

15. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

1984. Yes it does sound very good. In fact it sounds much better than the HDCD. Which I stated earlier sounded best.:sigh:

I do however prefer the Siren HDCD to the EG/Virgin.

16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Actually, I just saw 2 different Avalon discs at the local shop, one Reprise/E'G, one Warner Bros/E'G. Both contained a Made in US WEA pressed disc. I would assume the mastering is the same on these. . .

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thanks for the synopsis Simon.

So, some Red Face discs are preferred for their sound, including some Roxy cd's. So is the Avalon Red Face your preferred redbook version (over the HDCD) as well?

18. darkmatter

Some are to a lesser or greater degree, personally and in systems I have listened to I greatly prefer the sound of the Red Face and the WG Blue ring EG over the HDCD, they for me are far more musical.

19. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

As I understand it now Warner and Reprise US are actually one and the same?

20. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I just picked up the original USA Reprise/EG cds of the 1st 2 albums, the ones with Eno, for $5 each, mint, at my fave used cd store, and they sound great to me.
    I'm done! :righton:

21. It became a big hit in the UK if I recall in clubs and, eventually, radio. EG replaced the original version of "Angel Eyes" with the disco version to sell more albums no doubt.

It didn't happen in the U.S. though. Atco stuck with the original line up of songs.

22. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I listened a bit to both versions of Stranded this morning, the 3 last songs.

They are not very different, and the harshness I felt during the Ludwig's mastered Mother Of Pearl was also present in the EG and on a EG vinyl I listened to a while ago. Nothing to do with the mastering then.

The Ludwig's remasters have a bit more low end, and it is especially pleasing during Sunset. On A Song for Europe, I would say that the Ludwig's version brings more details into focus (the drumming especially) at the expanse of a more comfortable listen. The EG seems to bring the voice into focus and put everything else on a more blurry plan. I personaly prefer that, but it is really a matter of personal taste.

I think both versions are great. If you have one, you do not need the other.

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have all of the Roxy Music albums on CD from Japan - black triangle pressings. I bought them over the years for probably $10 - $30 apiece. I recently tried to upgrade to copies with obis as they were on auction sites. I bid around $70, and was outbid on all of them. Oh well.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What's better between these two for "For Your Pleasure" and "Avalon?"

The HDCD remaster or the original USA edtion?

Thanks!

25. darkmatter

I would go for the original editions IMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.