Early Roxy Music CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

You mean the Roxy Music's HDCDs?

I have a decoder, an Oppo 981. I do not know if there is different decoding schemes that make the sound significantly better, or is it just a matter of which DAC is used.

What I do know is that I compared the HDCD decoded "Mother Of Pearl" and the redbook wave file. Exactly the same dynamics. I am convinced they were the same, like so often in HDCDs. But the proof would be in mixing them, phase-reversed. I did not go that far.

Maybe somebody did?

2. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

When you said you "find the HDCD kind of harsh", did you mean HDCD in general? Or the Roxy CDs in particular? Just curious.

In my earlier post I was just asking HDCD decoder or no HDCD decoder.

I understand the wave files looked exactly the same, do HDCDs sound the same to you when decoded compared to when they are not?

3. fredhammersmith

In mean the whole Stranded HDCD. The only other Roxy I have is Avalon (EG/WEA). Not harsh at all.
    But you got me curious.
    I'll decode it and play it as a 20-bit file in the next hour or so. In my computer system, but we'll see. I have a new amp, a Denon PMA-250, to try.
    Did you have the chance to listen to the HDCD Stranded?

4. fredhammersmith

OK, i just tried.
    Decoded with HDCD.exe, they sounded the same, they looked the same.
    After level-matching them and mixing them in Adobe Audition, phase-inverted, nothing remained.

I guess it means they are exactly the same. Unless hdcd.exe is not doing the job. Which is possible, I would not know.

When you ask Audition to analyze the decoded HDCD file, it says it has 17-bit of resolution.

5. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Yes I have. I have S/T through Siren in both the early German version and HDCD. To me, the HDCD sounds much better when decoded than not. But you have me wondering. Maybe it's all the placebo effect. I'm going to compare them again. Just by ear. I never really did an extensive or thorough comparison. I'll also compare them to the earlier ones.

Maybe I shouldn't. They say ignorance is bliss!;)

PS One way to eliminate that variable would be to play the CD directly on a machine with a decoder then one without. That's what I'm basing my opinions on. I have a DVD player which decodes HDCD. My CD player does not. Of course two different machines is another variable. But you would eliminate the hdcd.exe question.

6. fredhammersmith

Maybe hdcd.exe is not doing the job properly.

I'll have my regular gear back soon and I'll be able to compare encoded files as read by the Oppo 981 and redbook resolution as read by my (superior) Micromega Stage 4.

The real experience being in the listening, I have my doubts about my own conclusions. If you hear a clear difference, we should investigate more.

7. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Sounds like a plan!:righton:

8. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I have a "Manifesto" Manufactured in the UK Gold EGCD, meaning the CD itself is gold. Does anyone else have this particular CD? Is it common? Is it the same mastering as the standard issue EGCD, assuming there is one?

9. I used to have it. If I recall correctly it was one of the first pressings to CD. As to how common it is, I have no idea all I know is that it had the disc "Angel Eyes" (which I hate) and an alternate version of "Dance Away" from the version on the original vinyl.

When it was reissued in the on the HDCD's I picked it up and am quite happy with that.

I do seem to recall that the levels on the Gold were well below the digital clipping threshold but I believe it IS the same mastering up to a point--eventually (if I recall correctly) they put out the version that originally appeared on vinyl (with the new wavish version of "Angel Eyes") which would mean that it was drawn from a different mastertape AND had a new mastering.

Very frustrating.

10. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Whats up with that alternate Angel Eyes? Why did they ever release it? It sucks!

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I wonder if the Oppo or any do-it-all DVD player can really sound better than that Micromega. Even if the DVD player is decoding HDCD, I'd expect the Micromega to outclass it.

12. I picked up a European issued (Polydor I think) first Roxy album
    and it totally stomped the US Atco. They are clearly from different tapes.
    The biggest difference was in the percussion, holy cow!

The US is really compressed, but it's analog compression.

All my Roxy cds are vintage save the Avalon SACD.

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I thought there were only the EG's & HDCD's?
    There's Polydor's & ATCO's too?
    Thanks.

14. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

I have Polydor's and EG's. And the HDCDs.

I'm not familiar with the Atco's though. Can you give some more info on them Cloth Ears? Year released etc.

Thank's.

15. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I believe Cloth Ears is talking about the original U.S. ATCO and U.K. pink Island vinyl LP pressings.:agree:

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Is there a good sounding cd of "Country Life" with the censored cover? The gross-chick cover does not agree with my eyes, so I'd rather have one of the alternate versions.

17. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

I don't believe a CD was ever issued with the alternate cover. After a short time the cover you like so much was displayed in record stores everywhere. Not sure if it was a legal thing or declining morals or what. That was 1974. So I don't think there would be a need for the alternate in the late 1980s.

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I could swear that at least one country released the censored cover version on cd sometime in the 80's. I could be wrong though.

19. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

So could I.

But I do have an idea! Before the "alternate" cover came out, the censored one was released but was wrapped in dark green plastic. The copy I bought originally was that way. I believe the entire front cover was hidden. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I know I was quite surprised when I took it home and ripped the plastic off! I'm thinking the back was visible though because I remember looking at the song titles and what not in the record store. Actually it was a department type store. Not a major one.

But I digress. Buy the copy of your choice and find some dark green tape and put it on the front of the Jewel case. It will look just like the copy I bought.

:shrug:

20. HiFi Guy 008

Funny - I just found a copy on vinyl with the censored cover. It looks...strange somehow.

21. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Nothing but branches right?

22. LesPaul666

Is that original cover that bad?:D ;)

23. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

It depends. If you shut one eye it looks great. But if you open that eye it's very ugly indeed!:eek:

24. LesPaul666

:biglaugh:

25. HiFi Guy 008

:confused:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.