Eagles "Long Road Out of Eden" review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I really like this one, a lot more, frankly, than I thought I would. Bob Ludwig did a good job with the sound, and I think it's the right move that, generally and collectively, these guys got off the high horse and got back to the music, and only the music, that they do so well.

2. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

I can't understand the hatred here.I wasn't expecting the return of "Hotel California" or "Take It Easy" here,I was looking for a competent,well-produced piece of AC country-rock,and I'm enjoying it right now as I'm writing.:p Much enjoyable than the dreck than the Strolling Bones put out that you guys praise to the hills!:cool:

3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I pretty much agree with you. It ain't gonna knock down any buildings, but what does these days?

4. Disc Two and "No More Cloudy Days" from the first CD are quite good. But a lot of Disc One could have been trimmed, I think.

5. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Puh-lease. :hurl:

6. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

The magic is long gone. It's just a nostalgia act, and this album isn't going to change that.

7. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

When I bought this today it was not in the racks with the rest of the CDs where I first looked. It was not in its own display in the CD area where I looked next. It was set up at the check-out. More later on the music.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

disc 2 is far better than disc 1.

very little guitar work on disc 1, uch more on 2

much more "pretty harmonies" on disc 1.

disc 2 far outshines disc 1, the best tunes on disc 1 are the one's from the melbourne DVD and "waiting in the weeds".

joe walsh and tim schmit should have had more lead vocals, but the eagles really are henley and frey now, aren't they?

disc 1 gets a 5 out of 10, disc 2 gets a 9 out of 10.

renny

9. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I listened to disc 1 and really enjoyed it. Can't wait to hear disc 2 based on a couple of opinions. At least it's not the snoozefest that the Plant/Krausse CD is...

10. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I'm enjoying this set as well. I can't help but compare these tracks to the few studio tracks on 'Hell...'. The 'Hell...' tracks are, IMO, of a better caliber. Although, this [set] is not nearly as bad as some are saying it is. Far better than recent outings from other "heavyweights" as of late, like Elton and McCartney. Disc two is quite good! For $11.88 this is a winner. Go get it!!

11. virgil caine

virgil caine New Member

I picked this up last night and am very dissapointed.
    I try and judge an album by it's own merits, not by who is performing or their track record.

I think the album is awful. God awful. The Eagles should be ashamed.
    As far as the mastering: Yes, it is good. However, when you polish a turd, you still have a turd.

12. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I visited a Wall Mart for the 3rd time in my life to purchase this.
    The first cd is a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    I only listened to the first track on the 2nd cd....the title track and it is truly a great song

13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'll be listening to this tonight. This better have many jewels in it or that "dreck" will be packed in a nice little box in a post here. :p

14. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Got it yesterday...I think its a fine collection of songs. Some sound like the Eagles, some like solo work. But it is certainly enjoyable. I don't get all the negative vibes here. The two Joe Walsh tunes I like a lot. Schmidt's "Do Something" has grown on me greatly.

So I am a happy with it...

And did anyone notice that the packaging says "No More Walks In The Wood" is 4:00 minutes but it really is 2 minutes...

HEY! "The Captain & The Kid" is terrific....

15. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Not to my ears. I've listened to the first half and found it quite underwhelming.

16. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

No thanks. And lay off the Kool-Aid.

17. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I picked up a copy at Wal-mart at lunchtime today and I really had to search for it. You would think they would have had a big display on an end cap, since they have exclusive rights to the CD.

I have not listen to it yet, but I will tell you the packaging sucks. The cardboard digipak feels like recycled paper. The CDs slid into the cardboard sleeve, so it has no plastic tray holder. There really isn't any way to prevent the CDs from getting scratched.

Between this packaging and the type used for Springsteen's Magic, it seems the record companies are just going cheap on these new releases.

18. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I hope everyone purchasing the new Eagles set enjoys it. To me, the Eagles were always a singles band. In fact, their greatest hits album of singles is, I believe, the #1 best seller ever? I certainly wouldn't expect much from a two disc Eagles set other than 2-3 "singles" and quite a lot of filler.

19. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I don't want to be unkind (not that anyone would care), but after downloading the whole album and listening to it a few times I deleted it. A real waste of disc space!

I agree with forthlin. I don't think the Eagles have ever released a "classic" album. Lots of classic individual tracks though.

20. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Agreed. It should have been trimmed to one disc, and even then I probably wouldn't buy it (and yes, I have heard it).

21. Man, you guys are brutal.

I bought 'Long Road Out Of Eden' today, and I've been listening to it most of this evening.

I've been enjoying it, and I'm glad I decided to hear it with my own ears.

The mastering is nothing to write home about, but I guess by today's standards, it's not too bad.

There are folks who will, and do, hate it. And that's Ok.

But there are folks who do, and will, really like it. I'm one of those that likes it.

22. bigdogpress

bigdogpress Forum Resident

i agree. i've heard the disc and find it lacks the great duo/trio lead guitar parts as well as felders harmonies. i find the whole record a bit thin compared to classic eagles tracks.

23. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I been listening to it for two days. It's not the strongest piece of work, but it has some fine moments. Great production, playing & harmonies.

This is the type of brutal response an old group gets in todays enviorment.

Everyones a critic and you can't get musicians to live in their past. Just look at 'A Bigger Bang' or 'Endless Wire' ... same kind of reaction.

I'm grateful that these guy's are still around. ;)

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm struggling to say anything good about this CD. It's straight to Easy Listening for this effort. I personally wouldn't recommend this to anyone. If you have a friend who has it, listen to that first. I suppose when they decide to tour again they can throw a couple of these songs in as fillers. Just nothing to write home about. It's uninspired, tired old Eagles at best. None of these songs would ever have made it on any of their older albums. I have nothing good to say about this effort. Seems like wasted talent, or some great talent with way too much time on their hands and being satisfied with mediocrity.

Oh, and if the tired old Stones ever put out drivel like this, I'd be the first to post it here. This music is the Stones worst nightmare.

25. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Maybe they not only needed Don Felder but also Bill Szymczyk(or however his name is spelled!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.