Eagles "Long Road Out of Eden" review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete_M

Pete_M Member

Eaglesfans.com has linked to a site where you can legally preview the entire new album. Yes, the whole double album.

Go and listen here
    http://www.lite98.com/cc-common/news/sections/special/eagles.html

My initial impressions after listening to each song 2-3 times are, that for an album that was six years in the making and the 28 year period between this and "The Long Run"... Disappointing.

Apart from "Waiting In The Weeds" there's nothing really there. "What DO I Do With My Heart" sounds like something straight from a boyband... ick. And the other Frey sang numbers of "I Love To Watch a Woman Dance" and "You Are Not Alone" are no-less cringeworthy to listen to.

Doesn't matter if Glenn Frey said that their 70's work was "five songs deep" or something along those lines, this new album will never give me that peaceful easy feeling.

But I'm sure many will enjoy this one more than I did, afterall it's a new Eagles album and nostalgia sells.

2. stevef

stevef Senior Member

For anyone interested...

According to the Eagles website...

On Thursday Oct. 25, Don Henley will be the special guest of Jim Ladd – KLOS 95.5 FM Los Angeles – 10pm

3. nashreed

nashreed New Member

Since Wal-Mart often puts out new releases early, do you think the Eagles will get put out before Tues., or will it have "tighter security" because it is a "Wal-Mart only" release.

All the Wal-Mart haters just need to watch the South Park "Wall-Mart" episode, laugh ... and chill...

James

4. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

Why is everybody complaining about Wal-Mart? You can order the CD straight from the Eagles' website. $12 for a 2CD set, $5 shipping.

Heck of a lot cheaper than their concerts!

5. zen

zen Senior Member

Eagles-Walmart...it's perfect.

6. butch

butch Senior Member

Good call on this one mate,I might buy it for 5 bucks down the road from now!I wonder what will happen when the other retailers will be able to release it.Will there be release hype or will there be a snub from Beat Buy,Circuit City and the independents?I don't love Walmart and I won't buy the cd from them! I'm surprised that the price point is $11.98 even for a double.I'd figure that the braintrust at Walmart would squeeze margins from the Eagles and Irving Azoff to make it a$9.99 loss leader.So much for that!

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

8. zen

zen Senior Member

What Do I Do With My Heart makes me want to break something! :D

9. listentothemusic

listentothemusic New Member

Amen, saves me some gas money to Wally World!

10. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

Me too.

I think they chose the best track (if that's saying much) as the first single - "How Long".

Although I haven't heard the whole thing yet, I'm so-so with the first half (although once I buy the album maybe it will grow on me).

I'm on the title track right now. Sort of Moracan feel to the beginning.

Interesting TBS sung songs. Very "AC". Glenn's songs very country. Especially "You Are Not Alone".
    So far only heard one Joe Walsh lead vocal track on the album, "Guilty of The Crime".
    I'm surprised that the Joe Walsh song he sang on the Melbourne DVD is not on here - "One Day At A Time". (maybe it will be relegated to a "b-side" - on one of the CD Singles).

11. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

:-popcorn:

This ought to be interesting.

12. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Well, thats just it wags. Its not the same band. Its a shadow trying to feel its way around in the dark.I found it boring also.

When what would sound like a filler or b-side at best on a real Eagles album becomes your big hit.. well ...

13. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Fast Company could be an outtake from The Long Run, with its early 80s synthesized feel, and on first listen it's so bad that it's... mediocre

Bit of a letdown, this.

14. jcjc

jcjc New Member

you guys are tough on them

I dont know what I think mixed emotions. I listened one time 20 tunes.

I did think Henleys voice has aged walshs too.

Hey five or six of them grabbed me as I speed listened. The title cut is pretty good but Its sooooo long. Frey still sings great he did a couple good ones.
    Walshs two offerings were good. Schmidts was horrible.

Hey I'm gonna buy it and cut out the six or eight I dont like.
    Its a pretty good album. A little boring , It doesn't particularly sound like the Eagles all the time, For instance Walshes second song with the vibes. But hey Its worth fifiteen bucks. But I have to admit the album gets boring at times and They sound kind of slow and old whatever that means.

I give the album a passing grade but not particularly the great comeback album or anything

15. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

or from a Prince album

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I was being kind in my previous post. To me it sounds like Nashville background music.

17. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

After hearing the first 4 songs I was impressed, fresh sounding Eagles with those great harmonies. The rest of the tunes however sound like they're from the solo albums of the 80's.

18. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I use to love The Eagles, but they have become to 'Corporate' for me, i kind of get the feeling they care more about the $$$ than the music and when watching a concert it is not that fun, because they don't look like they are enjoying themselfs, IMO this is not what making music is about and it looks like they do not want to be on stage:shake:

19. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Boy, you guys really hate Wal-Mart.

20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Agreed-
    I wish conditions were better w/ Felder + the boys!

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

22. stevef

stevef Senior Member

I tend to agree...
    Maybe it's all about the *money*.

There's a few good listens here but overall... I can't say I'm very impressed with this release. Many of the songs are mediocre at best. Some are too polished or maybe worked on for far too long. Even the album cover art feels wrong.
    Of course, I will listen to it some more... but I can't say I'm very motivated to do so.

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

And the most forced lyrics ever?

24. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I cant believe that only now, in 2007 people are just realising that they find the Eagles boring!!

:shh:

25. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Boy, talk about a joyless bunch? That first video was really somber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.