Eagles "Long Road Out of Eden" review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RapsodiaStellare

RapsodiaStellare New Member

The "screw WalMart" scenario assumes that they paid more than a buck wholesale in the first place. Are they really taking a loss on that CD? Doesn't sound like something they'd do.

2. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I agree. A "single" of course isn't what a "single" used to be. I mean, can you imagine this in 1979 if the first single from their long awaited new album (The Long Run which of course was the follow-up to their massive "Hotel California") would have been a cover-song taken from a JD souther album several years earlier. Impossible. It's a nice little tune but not exactly sensational.

3. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Does this mean you don't have the two first Eagles albums...?:)

4. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Well, the other 2 new songs on their site aren't bad.
    Nothing to write home about.
    Are these considered the best from the album, I wonder?:yawn:

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I too hate mall-wart, and dislike Henley and Frey for making this deal and for what they did to Felder, but my main question is will there be a vinyl release outside of the scope of the wankermart deal, like maybe from Europe? If so, I may get it, as I do like Eagles music, even if their buisness tactics would embarass Gene Simmons.

6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Dunno about a vinyl release yet, but you can purchase the CD from Amazon overseas:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Road-O...9646305?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1191656359&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.de/Long-Road-Out-...8498627?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1191656302&sr=1-1

Oh, and there is a special edition CD double with one extra song on each disc:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Road-O...9646305?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1191656359&sr=1-1

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not the scenerio you describe, but i do believe that in some way, wal-mart executives will be tracking sales of the eagles CD to see just what else people bought along with the it.

and if they find that a whole slew of people bought the CD and scope mouthwash, crest toothpaste, irish spring soap, captain crunch cereal, and a blender, they will not hesitate to do another deal like this one.

renny

8. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

I'm surprised that the Joe Walsh tune "One Day At A Time" isn't included on one of these expanded issues. I really like that song.

Clanceman likes this.
  9. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I agree. I really liked it on the Farewell 1 DVD. Sounded a bit different and exciting. Well, we can always hear it on the DVD, but I think it would have been good for the album.

10. Henry the Horse

It'd be nice to hear a new Eagles album with all the alumni on it!
    They could call it "Hell Freezes Over II"!:D

11. jcjc

jcjc New Member

One Day at A time should be on there. It took them 30 years for a double album why not that one if they include Hole in the World as a bonus on deluxe or import edition. Why not the Walsh song.
    You know it's amazing 28 years was enough time to pull it together.

12. stevef

stevef Senior Member

I know how you feel. I miss Don Felder too, and it was hard to watch the Farewell I Tour DVD without him being involved.

BTW... cover art is out for the new Eagles 2CD set.

[​IMG]

Disc One:
    1 No More Walks In The Wood 4:00
    2 How Long (J.D. Souther) 3:20
    3 Busy Being Fabulous 4:17
    4 What Do I Do With My Heart 3:55
    5 Guilty Of The Crime 3:44
    6 I Don't Want To Hear Any More (Paul Carrack) 4:25
    7 Waiting In The Weeds 7:10
    8 No More Cloudy Days 3:58
    9 Fast Company 5:06
    10 Do Something
    11 You Are Not Alone 2:30

Disc Two:
    12 Long Road Out Of Eden 10:15
    13 I Dreamed There Was No War" 1:37
    14 Somebody 4:12
    15 Frail Grasp On The Big Picture 5:10
    16 Last Good Time In Town 7:15
    17 I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (Larry John McNally) 3:11
    18 Business As Usual 5:34
    19 Center Of The Universe 3:48
    20 It's Your World Now 4:20

"Long Road Out of Eden" will be sold exclusively by Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, walmart.com, samsclub.com and eaglesband.com.
    Priced at Wal-Mart for $11.88.

Wal-Mart is currently offering all of the Eagles' catalogue remastered CDs on sale for $9.72 each.

The 2CD Eagles Live is just $13.88.
    (Don Felder is on this one.) :righton:

[​IMG]

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=623959

13. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I think this entirely accurate. It's probably a win-win for both parties in that it will expose people to a product they ordinarily may not buy. Eagles fans will buy the album no matter where it's sold. So there will probably be some new faces in Wal-Marts across the country. Similarly, there are Wal-Mart customers who might buy a new Eagles album if it happens to be sitting right there in their favorite store.

Since I presume that this is an experiment for Wal-Mart, they probably don't really know what the results will be. My guess is that they have already analyzed sales of existing Eagles albums at there stores, so they most likely think they have a winner.

They will track not only sales, but sales of individual items, at all stores, at all times of the day. Assuming that most people don't take the principled stand that renny is adopting, there will likely be a lot of data the shows what else customers bought when they bought the Eagles album. Then, what were the sales of those items over time (last year, this year, going forward). This provides Wal-Mart with two important pieces of information: 1) Simply whether sales improved for those items? Is a trend to be found? 2) Where to position the Eagles album in the store. If the trends show that people who bought the Eagles album also bought fishing tackle, then the Eagles will get a display in the Hunting & Fishing section.

I think Wal-Mart has some sort of frequent buyer discount card (most large retailers do). Anyone with those cards will provide even more data because Wal-Mart can look at historical customer buying trends and whether the Eagles album made a difference. Even if they don't track sales by customer they'll get more than enough data from simply measuring the sales of other items. This will tell them whether to continue with these deals in the future.

In other words, I think renny is correct. I offered a little bit of extra information because I have worked on such "data mining" projects from the computer programming end. Personally, I find this type of market research to be repugnant, and I felt dirty working on such the project. :shake:

14. You can purchase the CD from the Ealgles directly. You can also buy the ablum in audio download. Available in two formats: MP3 256k and FLAC.

http://eagleslongroadoutofeden-preorder.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=11901_11914

Now that our dollar is worth more than $1. U.S., I wonder what the price on this 2CD set is going to be up here?

EDIT:

Just found the answer. $14.88 What a grind! :mad:

Wal Mart Canada press release

15. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

While speculating about other formats for the new album; Any news on the 5.1 version that Elliot Scheiner was reported working on?...Now THAT would be something!!

16. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

:hurlleft:

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Been playing "How Long" on the radio for the last 3 weeks. Phones light up when it's played. Had to add it to the rotation in the A stack. I like it! The rest of the album is superb too. Has hit written all over it!

18. Henry the Horse

That sounds suspiciously like one of the Wal-Mart site's "reviews"!:D

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Does anybody have the entire album to be able to characterize it as "superb?" Something smells a little funny here. I have a suspicion that the luckiest guy on the forum has a smiley face and just loves knocking down those prices!

20. calcajun

calcajun New Member

FLAC?
    I'll probably buy my very first digital download.

21. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

They'll have to move the Ted Nugent display first. Wal-Mart does pretty well, does it need this Eagles CD as a loss-leader? How much would an influx of Eagles fans really boost sales? I'd think many of the store's existing customers already like the Eagles anyway - they were always a hugely popular band. As for the review, it didn't increase my liklihood of getting the CD. I like most every other Eagles album and expect this one will also be enjoyable.

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Bob Ludwig mastered the album.

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

When I heard "How Long" on the radio, I thought it was an outtake from the first album!!

24. jcjc

jcjc New Member

With All due respect

I have gone to my local Walmart a few times to buy a high profile new The cds were all mixed out of order just a chaotic mess. The clerks were poorly trained, inattentive and unable to even determine if they had the cds in the store or when they would arrive. They are horrible cd retailers in every possible way worst I have ever seen anywhere.

The Eagles new album will probably be done a little better at Walmart. Some people like my wife love Walmart. People who go there anyway will like the deal. To have to go there just to get the new Eagles album is a nightmare I will pass on. I'll wait till it shows up in the used bin for five bucks a year down the road.

25. Meadows222

Meadows222 Forum Resident

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/10/11/too-busy-being-fabulous/

Too Busy Being Fabulous
    I’m TINGLING! TEARS ARE COMING TO MY EYES!

So, I’m at the skin doctor, having some suspicious growths removed, and when I’m done with Dr. Rish, I’ve got a message on my BlackBerry, a phone call from Irving Azoff. Where should he send the new EAGLES album?

Oh, you know how it is today. LEAKS! I had to promise that I wouldn’t duplicate it, wouldn’t give it to anybody. NO PROBLEM! I’M TRUSTWORTHY!

I was in Century City getting a new keyboard for my Mac. Thank god for Applecare. Wanna know where it’s happening? At the Apple Store. You’ve got to slalom through the people. And the new Lilliputian Nanos? They’re IMPOSSIBLY thin. You want to buy one, no matter HOW MANY iPods you already have.

And Irving said Irene would call, for an address. But as I was buying jeans at the Gap, I’d still heard nothing. I e-mailed Irving. Just leave the disc behind the screen door, messenger it over NOW!

The phone rang. They couldn’t do that. But by this time I was already home. They’d send it over.

And I’ve been waiting for the delivery man ever since. I was getting worried he wouldn’t come, that I’d get the package tomorrow.

But, just now, I saw a guy with tattoos through the front window. I opened the door, was he from IRVING?

Irving told me the packaging wasn’t perfect. That Henley wanted some of the early covers destroyed, the tiny percentage that didn’t have the color right. Looked fine to me, I wouldn’t have complained.

And after removing the shrinkwrap with the Wal-Mart sticker, I turn the cardboard package over and see the TWENTY TRACKS ON 2 CDs!

And then I open my computer drawer and insert disc one…

I remember dropping the needle on "Hotel California". Buying the album the day it came out, before anything but "New Kid In Town" was on the radio. I did a double take as the sound came out of the speakers. The same thing JUST HAPPENED! Oh, the sweet SOUND! How could it sound THIS GOOD? NOTHING sounds this good. Everything’s squashed today. But this was just like 1976, I felt the group was living RIGHT INSIDE THE SPEAKERS.

The harmonies, this one certain change in "No More Walks In The Wood"… If you had that spirit back in 1969, you’ll get it.

The second cut is the single, "How Long". And then came "Busy Being Fabulous".

You remember "Life In The Fast Lane", don’t you? Surely make you lose your mind. A feeling we were all familiar with, a scene we knew, the Eagles nailed it, the phrase soon became part of the vernacular.

How come the EAGLES, thirty five years old, can skewer stardom, aligning with our sensibilities here in the cheap seats, and everybody on the hit parade, the rappers to the popsters, think we’re buying their ****, think we believe they’re fabulous?

When Henley starts to sing, you hear that voice from "The Long Run". It’s like it’s 1979 all over again.

I came home to an empty house and I found your little note:
    ‘Don’t wait up for me tonight’, and that was all she wrote
    Do you think I don’t know that you’re out on the town with all of your high-rollin’ friends?
    But, what do you do when you come up empty? Where do you go when the party ends?

You were just too busy being fabulous
    Too busy to think about us
    I don’t know what you were dreaming of
    Somehow you forgot about love
    And you were just too busy being fabulous, uh-huh

Famous does not make your life work. Might get you laid, but won’t get you in a relationship. You’ve got to be three-dimensional, you’ve got to be a human being, you’ve got to be trustworthy. But none of the youngsters singing seem to know this. This is why we loved our acts, THEIR TRUTH! Maybe Don sowed his wild oats, but he grew up. JUST LIKE US!

I’ve got no idea what the other seventeen tracks sound like. I couldn’t get that far, I couldn’t wait to e-mail you.

It’s not about digesting music, thinking about it. It’s about the VISCERAL RESPONSE! Ten minutes in and I’m suddenly linked to who I was back when. I feel like I’m not alone on this earth. I feel like I’m ALIVE!

It’s not about airplay, it’s not about sales numbers, it’s not even about Wal-Mart. It’s about music. How does the MUSIC make you feel. The music hasn’t been emphasized in such a long time. And, it doesn’t matter if you get off on what I do. We don’t all have the same crush, we’re not all in love with the same person. But, if you were ever an Eagles fan, when you drop the metaphorical needle on "Long Road Out Of Eden", your mind will be positively blown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.