'DYNAFLEX'...Why?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by william shears, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

Some black label "Side Dog" RCA LP's from the late 70's have the Dynaflex logo on them. "Cleo Lane At Carnegie Hall" from 1974 was issued presumably originally with an orange or tan label. The later black label copy I have has the Dynaflex logo. I assume this is because they used the same label copy. I've never seen a Red Seal or Victrola side dog reissue with the dynaflex logo.

2. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

In addition to using half the plastic, as Steve noted, Dynaflex saved RCA a bunch on shipping costs -- less weight.

Give them credit, at least, for pioneering the floppy disc format.

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Yikes! How much tracking force was needed to keep the "tone"arm on the CED disk?

5. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I have seen some black label RCA LP's with the Dynaflex logo on them. I've never really ran into any Red Seal releases pressed on that type of vinyl.

6. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The Selectavision players have the stylus mounted to a track that travels across the disc linearly. I don't know how much tracking force was applied but it wasn't enough to keep the discs from skipping. If you didn't change the stylus on regular basis it could do irrepairable damage to the CED discs.

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

There were quite a lot of them, Jeff....new releases and, of course, inferior repressings of older Living Stereo and Dynagroove titles. Sad but true!

:ed:

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Dynaflex? I don't care enough to do any research, but sounds like if they were thinner and flexible, as well as being lighter and cheaper, they might not warp as much, and lie flatter on a turntable. I have one old LP that is almost rigid compared with the stuff a couple of years later. If I dropped it, it feels like it could shatter.

My real bug, is why they couldn't have had a standard for Lp's with a wider lead-in. So much crud and damage accumulated at the outer edge from handling, that the first track on a side often has damage that I would think could have been avoided with a wider lead-in.

Speaking of better design, I also wish I find decent sporks more easily.

9. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Yet another case of record companies pretending to be providing the consumer with a better quality product when quality has nothing to do with the changes. We could fill another thread with other examples.

10. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

When I began collecting classical in the mid-'70s, a big favorite was (and still is) Artur Rubinstein. Of course the only available pressings were Dynaflexes. I replaced them all over the years, but I must say that one survived the incredible act of a mailman; mailed in a soft package, it was bent in half and placed in small mailbox in the wintertime!

11. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Out of morbid curiosity, I bought a Dynaflex of Nilsson Schmilsson today for a buck. It doesn't sound that bad, but it is quite noisy in spots.

Oh well – at least the album came with the poster. :D

12. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

I have several Living Stereo reissues from the early-mid 70's pressed on "Dynaflex" vinyl though the labels don't carry the dynaflex logo. My 70's copy of the Schubert C Major Symphony conducted by Munch on LSC-2344 has to be one of the thinnest and lightest LPs I have.

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

has anyone ever seen any Monkees LP's on Colgems on Dynaflex vinyl, or were the masters sold off to Bell/Arista by then?

14. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

:laugh:

15. Ed Bishop

No, but I do have a Dynaflex Columbia Lp or two...:D

16. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

My March 1971 Colgems double LP Barrel Full of Monkees is a Dynaflex pressing, although it doesn't say so. The album was apparently the last one from Colgems. Nice quiet surface, too, and all tracks are stereo mixes except for Listen To The Band.

GM

17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Must've been subcontracted or something (Columbia did subcontract LP pressings to RCA from time to time). I think there was a copy of the 1971 Santana album (not to be confused with the 1969 début of the same name) pressed as such, and also a contemporary Percy Faith LP. In all cases Columbia's own label copy fonts were used.

18. Ed Bishop

The Faith Lp was JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, IIRC.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.