DVD commentary tracks worth sitting through

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

The version of GoodFellas with Henry Hill is pretty intresting...

2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The commentary has ruined the movie for me, as I really can't watch it WITHOUT the commentary track on now!

I recently dumped the audio of the commentary to a CDr for a trip I took. Even while driving I found myself laughing like crazy at some of the comments.....

"OH! She's had SOOOO much work done! She wasn't born with THOSE!!!!!"

3. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I didnt know they had commentary! Thanks! :)

4. Bahax

Bahax New Member

Ken Russell's commentary for Lair of the White Worm!!
    Go Ken!

Oh—and Chuck Barris' commentary for The Gong Show Movie ...;)

5. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

A couple more commentaries

Well, finally a topic I want to chime in on - I love commentaries. The good ones are like great documentaries of a subject I am interested in, the bad ones I simply tune out.

The Citizen Kane commentary by Roger Ebert is fabulous. It was like sitting with him and asking the questions you KNOW he can answer.

Let me add my appreciation about the "Seven Samurai" commentary. I watched a DVD (Criterion I think) with a film professor viewing the film and analysing it from a visual language perspective. It not only enhanced my knowledge of the director, I will NEVER be able to watch a Kurosawa film again without thinking of the subtleties and intention put in to his work. A must see for film students and film lovers.

I don't know if this is a good commentary but "The Man Who Wasn't There" with Billy Bob Thornton and the Coen brothers is weirdly funny to me. The brothers add almost nothing to the film we are all watching (Coens and Billy Bob included) until a certain point when Billy Bob realises they are simply staring without commenting. There is almost a minute of silence during a quiet part in the film - brutal. Recognising this Billy Bob proceeds to turn into Johnny Carson and interview the Coens like he had two quiet guests and an hour to fill. I laughed as I listened to him pull information and liven up the proceedings with questions and comments. At least that's how I remember it.

For fun, the first half hour of Pirates of the Carribean including Keira Knightly and the British actor who is the Commodore is a blast. They are actors having fun with their screen image using self deprecating sharp humour.

Most are fair to middling with only a few pieces of info. I always think of George Cosmotos (sic) commenting on what we are seeing in "Tombstone". "And here you see a shot of the town from a high viewpoint." As someone else wrote, like it was commentary for the blind. However I still listen to as many as I can for that gem of information that may come.

My favourite commentary though is from "Cats and Dogs" and sorry, you will never be able to hear it. My girlfriend worked on the film and everytime it plays on tv she gives me a personal running, gossipy and technical minded commentary on every frame of the film. It beats the one on the disc hands down!

I've written down Spinal Tap, Fight Club, Anchorman and the Limey (I may have heard the Jim Lovell commentary but I will go back and make sure.) Any others with information or entertainment worth mentioning?

6. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

7. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

PHP:
    [QUOTE][CODE][/CODE][/QUOTE]

These are my favorites!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.